Strikers

plymouthram

Not wanting to state the obvious, we all know we lack a frontman that can score. But, without looking into the January window does any of the younger strikers we already have good enough to be in the starting 11. Hector-Ingram, Whittaker and Stretton have never been given many minutes on the pitch since being placed into the 1st team squad. Also, what's happened to Bobby Duncan, is he injured? Then there is all these players we are linked with (can we afford most of them). Will Jack Marriott be reinstalled at Pride Park or will he move on. Possibly as a swap deal with another striker, thoughts anybody

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Topram means one or two strikers, but we won't get lots of money for Waggy to afford 1 or 2 strikers that would be an improvement. If I was in charge of recruitment/transfers at Derby, I would take a gamble next week. Call back clause on Marriott would be activated and then swap him with Kevin Nisbet at Hibs.

I'd love to know who's going to pay a fee for Waghorn?

He'll be available on a free come the end of the season, and is free in a few days time to negotiate a deal with teams outside of England.

Sure he won't interest the Old Firm, but teams below them might have a nibble based on his time with Rangers.

He's yet another player we've bought at his peak value, and will see depart at a massive loss.

Otherwise, we'll offer him an extension and kick the P&S loss down the road, which may be the best option.

They seem to be set on Dursun to come in.

None of the u23 strikers are really target man types from what i understand. CKR is worth his weight in poohousery in addition to his hold up play. It's not that they're not good enough so much as not what the team needs right now.

Marriott I think could be useful next to CKR/new-CKR and I'd give a clean slate to, but I'm not going to be outraged if he's just not in the picture.

SO it leaves us in the same prediciment as before, we need a Chris Martin like striker to come in to lift some of the burden from CKR's shoulders.

We need Jozwiak on the shoulder - off CKR. We need a narrow 4-4-2.... we’ve scored 10 goals in 20 games.....

Talking to a mate, he thinks Joz would be a natural in there.

We need results, fast

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Only 7 in 32 in the Scottish premiership though.   He got 20 in the Scottish championship mind, which is an improvement on the 19 I'd have got.

Just the 19? Are you only playing 6 months of the season? 

@plymouthram  With the money they spent on going through the leagues he had chance after chance every game to score. 

When it came to the SPL he couldn't hack it, got dropped and decided to give square goes to school lads outside the chipper. ?

1 hour ago, Rev said:

I'd love to know who's going to pay a fee for Waghorn?

He'll be available on a free come the end of the season, and is free in a few days time to negotiate a deal with teams outside of England.

Sure he won't interest the Old Firm, but teams below them might have a nibble based on his time with Rangers.

He's yet another player we've bought at his peak value, and will see depart at a massive loss.

Otherwise, we'll offer him an extension and kick the P&S loss down the road, which may be the best option.

He probably won’t get a permit to play outside of the UK.

Jozwiak can hold the ball and play in pockets of space but he isn’t a winger anymore than Lawrence is.

12 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Nobody replied to one question, I initially asked (What's happened to Bobby Duncan). Is he injured ?

He came on a sub for the u23s the other day.

I’ve been thinking ever since Cocu left that we should get rid of Waghorn this January. If what Ryan Conway has said about Dursun being available for very little and being willing to come to Derby, I see no reason to keep Waggy around.

Wont start at ST or RM, you’d think? On decent wages, over 30 and not contributed much under Rooney. 

We’ve looked so much better with a proper target man up front since CKR came in, I think grabbing another one in January is a huge priority. If he goes down injured and we don’t have someone similar to replace him, I think we’d be in big, big trouble. Dursun seems like the natural choice.

I don’t think Marriott coming off an injury is the answer to our lack of goals. He’d only ever come off the bench and I’d rather see any of Stretton, JHI, Duncan (eventually) etc get chances over him. Happy to be proven wrong but I think he’s crap.

Looking at our current striker options... there aren’t many of them. Arguably, there’s only one. And that’s Kazim. He’s shown a surprising amount of quality, particularly in terms of winning aerial duels and linking up play with his team mates, which is exactly what we need in our system really. But he’s 34, we can’t rely on him to play every single minute, it’s ridiculous. At the moment, our only other senior option who’s actually started a game before is arguably Whittaker, because Waghorn is no striker. But Whittaker hasn’t really ever played up front for the first team either (though I think that could be his best position), and judging by his recent struggles, he probably needs a loan spell in January to get his development at senior level going. 

That leaves us with no other senior options at present up top, other than Kazim. I don’t think we can be relying on youngsters like Hector-Ingram and Stretton in our precarious situation, so something really needs doing in January. We got shot of Marriott in the first place for a reason - he’s not good enough. That hasn’t changed in the last few months, so bringing him back won’t solve anything, other than adding an extra body. Ideally we need to move him on again, and then sign another two strikers. One definitely needs to come in to be first choice really, or certainly to rotate with Kazim at least, to keep things fresh. Then if we can find somewhere to send Marriott, we can sign another option to bring off the bench / add further cover. It’s probably the most important position to sort in January, so let’s hope we get it right.

Archived