Who is the most expensive player we’ve bought...

Stripperg-ram

....that was worth it?

Been thinking about Tom Lawrence. And I don’t want to create a pile on. I thought against Forest he had one of the best games in a Derby shirt.
But it wasn’t amazing. 
it was just what you’d expect from a £7m player. 
How many times has he played that well?

Bieilk also. He’s not really had chance to shine, injuries and red cards have seen to that. But wasn’t he reportedly £10m? Now he may go on to be well worth it, but a Champ player at that price should surely be one of the next in the league by now? Has he shown that he was worth the money? (I don’t know btw, I’m not having a go at him - I just haven’t seen it from him yet)

who have we bought, say in the last 10 - 20 years, who wasn’t a bargain or an academy success or a cheap/freebie that has proven to have exceeded in value the millions we paid for them?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Stripperg-ram said:

....that was worth it?

Been thinking about Tom Lawrence. And I don’t want to create a pile on. I thought against Forest he had one of the best games in a Derby shirt.
But it wasn’t amazing. 
it was just what you’d expect from a £7m player. 
How many times has he played that well?

Bieilk also. He’s not really had chance to shine, injuries and red cards have seen to that. But wasn’t he reportedly £10m? Now he may go on to be well worth it, but a Champ player at that price should surely be one of the next in the league by now? Has he shown that he was worth the money? (I don’t know btw, I’m not having a go at him - I just haven’t seen it from him yet)

who have we bought, say in the last 10 - 20 years, who wasn’t a bargain or an academy success or a cheap/freebie that has proven to have exceeded in value the millions we paid for them?

Christian Daily

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

We only paid a million for him, which maybe was big money back in 97/98.

yep, that's the point 

2 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

yep, that's the point 

Is it? The thread isn't who is best value for money it is "who is the most expensive player that was worth it?" I don't think a player who is apparently our 73rd most expensive signing of all time is anywhere near the running for that accolade. 

Lawrence wasn't £7m I'm pretty sure...

But yes, Vydra and Ince.

Johnson was also very good for us, probably not £6m good but I think he has been severely underrated by our fanbase for his contributions with us.

Fingers crossed we can add Bielik to this list.

Tom Ince has been the best value for money. Not cheap at 4.75m, but the best winger we’ve had in my lifetime. Loads of goals, fair few assists, worked hard and contributed significantly in some good teams. Sold for almost treble his initial fee. One of the few good bits of business we’ve done in recent years.

Vydra and Ince are the obvious ones. You could argue Jason Shackell the second time (although I was always puzzled why we decided there was no one else and it had to be him)

So many of our good signings are the VFM ones, Martin (free), Bryson (£400k) Ward (wasn't a lot), Russell (£750k) were all NIgel Clough getting it right. Dawkins (£300k? wasn't expensive) and so on.

We pay less than a million quid for a player and usually they turn out OK for what we paid and somethimes are so much more.

We start paying multimillions of pounds and a lot of the time they're nick blackman.

Archived