Another Rooney Thread, Sorry, Not Sorry

Day

24 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I don’t dislike him personally, I just feel he is no longer worthy of a first team spot and doesn’t have the experience to be the new manager so combined is a bit of a problem...

I think people are holding Rooney to a higher standard than the rest of the team, and this wrong. All of our players have been underperforming, not just Rooney! He’s still the best player we have. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, David said:

We’re bottom of the league, talking the other day he accepted he was partly responsible. Every staff and player are as it’s a team game. 

Today though is a fresh start, chance for them all to be the solution, Rooney included. I just hope the match day thread doesn’t give him 10 minutes before demanding he leaves the club.

You think we will even give him that?! ?

9 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I think people are holding Rooney to a higher standard than the rest of the team, and this wrong. All of our players have been underperforming, not just Rooney! He’s still the best player we have. 

No, unfortunately his legs have gone. Like a Champion boxer, vital you hang up your gloves at the right time. Carry on one or two many fights and it can get embarrassing.....

@David he may be damned if he does, or damned if he doesn't, but whose fault is that? I think I'm slower to criticise players than most on here but watching him ambling around barely breaking into a jog absolutely infuriates me. We all remember his commitment when he first pitched up, but this season he's not been arsed at all. 

I agree that there's nothing to be gained from yet another scapegoat campaign, but if he suddenly starts playing out of his skin again having barely lifted a leg all season, what are folk meant to think? I don't doubt that I can be easily won over if he consistently shows us something, but I'd not blame anyone for not feeling the same way, especially Mel, Cocu and his coaching team.

Ah well, up the mighty Rams! Seems a cliche to say 'we wipe our mouths and go again', but that's about the sum of it.giphy.gif

The problem with Rooney is exactly this. Another Rooney thread.

It's Rooney, Rooney, Rooney. Wayne Rooney's Derby County playing at Pride Park where Wayne Rooney plays. Great shot by Lawrence, but did you see that 6 yard pass from Wayne Rooney to him?

It becomes all about Rooney and people lose focus, it is why I am desperate for the club to lose the celebrity aspect and gain focus again.

6 minutes ago, wollatonram said:

The problem with Rooney is exactly this. Another Rooney thread.

It's Rooney, Rooney, Rooney. Wayne Rooney's Derby County playing at Pride Park where Wayne Rooney plays. Great shot by Lawrence, but did you see that 6 yard pass from Wayne Rooney to him?

It becomes all about Rooney and people lose focus, it is why I am desperate for the club to lose the celebrity aspect and gain focus again.

Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 14.57.04.png

Pretty much covers all the squad then. 

26 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

No, unfortunately his legs have gone. Like a Champion boxer, vital you hang up your gloves at the right time. Carry on one or two many fights and it can get embarrassing.....

nonsense. He ran through in a recent game, beating the defender and their keeper saved it. Anyone chasing the ball like a enthusiastic dog will burn out towards the end of the game, this is where discipline and sticking to your position comes into effect.

Fans will get off Rooney’s back when he gives them a reason to. Frankly his effort the past few months has been pathetic. He’s been unfit, lazy, and one of our biggest problems on the football pitch. You’d be forgiven for thinking he was trying to undermine the manager because he wants his job. Fans criticism of him has been absolutely justified. The fact his name is Wayne Rooney means absolutely nothing once he’s out on that football pitch - he’s got to put the effort in, just like everyone else. He hasn’t been performing, it’s as simple as that. To say we’re “lucky to have him” just because of his name is absolute baalocks imo.

Just now, wollatonram said:

You are being facetious, you know Rooney gets too much attention on him.

He does, because he was the captain for club and country, leading scorer for both and has a vast knowledge of the game. 

Calling him a celebrity puts him in the same basket as Ant & Dec which is hugely disrespectful 

1 minute ago, David said:

He does, because he was the captain for club and country, leading scorer for both and has a vast knowledge of the game. 

Calling him a celebrity puts him in the same basket as Ant & Dec which is hugely disrespectful 

He is a celebrity. He is a household name. I don't see how that is hugely disrespectful, it's factual.

Just now, wollatonram said:

He is a celebrity. He is a household name. I don't see how that is hugely disrespectful, it's factual.

It’s also factual by the definition of celebrity that so are the rest of the squad. ??‍♂️

1 minute ago, David said:

It’s also factual by the definition of celebrity that so are the rest of the squad. ??‍♂️

A huge proportion of the general public would be able to name his wife over any other Derby player. Probably his kids too. And I think she has written a few books that have sold on the back of his fame. 

Not saying he personally has particularly courted celebrity status. 

We have wasted 2 weeks in not getting anyone in..... forgive me if I don’t buy into this Rooney thing and it being rammed down our throats.

We are a shell of a club and it hurts. If anyone thinks this will work then fair enough that’s your choice.

The longer the “takeover” or this 4 way management goes on the less time we have to fix and save this season. We are now a quarter of a way through the season. Big bold decisions need to be made sooner rather than later on all matters Derby County.

Now ain’t the time to chase headlines like what we’ve courted this week and before then, time to think about where we are..... this is the legacy Mel I’m sure didn’t envisage or want. 

Please sort this mess out.

Archived