Another Rooney Thread, Sorry, Not Sorry

Day

2 minutes ago, David said:

We signed Bielik last summer in a deal that could be worth up to £10m wasn’t it?

We need a striker definitely, Cocu openly admitted we had to be creative in how we bring one in which saw CKR sign which isn’t looking too great now. 

The member I replied to also said this earlier:

“Our squad has been underfunded for too long.”

Just find it a little bizarre given the money we’ve spent over the last few years.

I didn't see the earlier comment so apologies and yes wouldn't agree with that statement.

What was the starting figure for Bielk ? No where near 10m I don't believe, not knocking that though, as at the time I did think it was a statement of intent. Look after that though, two years on the trot we have brought in deadline day deals that can only be said were panic or last on the list buys at best.

No point going on about Martin, but not to replace him has hurt us badly, PC talked in the run up about having someone in place, we ended up with a journeyman who has never scored through his career.

Did we ever replace Keogh, we sold our best attacking outlets to meet FFP demands and are now playing catch up to replace some of our best performer over the past few seasons but haven't got the leeway to do it.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, wollatonram said:

You may well be right like i have said the problem isnt just rooney it is the lack of investment in the squad, compare the squad now to even a few years ago it is worlds apart.

Sorry but disagree with this. Mel has spent more than most in the championship over the last 18 months.

Also if your comparing to Franks squad, we now have a much better GK(Marshall), better LB(Buchanan), better CB(Clarke), equally as good RB(Byrne), Better DM(Bielik), better wingers(Ibe, Jozwiak), and arguably better squad players(Kazim, Hector-Ingram, Rooney, Bird, Sibley, Shinnie, Knight, Te Weirik, Whittaker, etc). Only areas i see being possibly weaker are CM and Right CB.

Just now, BIllyD said:

I didn't see the earlier comment so apologies and yes wouldn't agree with that statement.

What was the starting figure for Bielk ? No where near 10m I don't believe, not knocking that though, as at the time I did think it was a statement of intent. Look after that though, two years on the trot we have brought in deadline day deals that can only be said were panic or last on the list buys at best.

No point going on about Martin, but not to replace him has hurt us badly, PC talked in the run up about having someone in place, we ended up with a journeyman who has never scored through his career.

Did we ever replace Keogh, we sold our best attacking outlets to meet FFP demands and are now playing catch up to replace some of our best performer over the past few seasons but haven't got the leeway to do it.

Probably should have mentioned it for those that didn’t see the other thread, but yeah that’s why I questioned it again.

As for Bielik, not sure, various numbers all over, depends which you believe are more credible. I mean we had the Mail saying Cocu was on 90k a week which seems a tad far fetched.

We didn’t replace Martin, or Keogh you’re right. We didn’t replace the 3 loans either after Frank left either when you think about it. 

With his delayed departure and the transfer embargo this summer, not been the greatest of circumstances.

When you stop to consider the reason for the embargo, it makes the underfunded for too long comments look a little bizarre to say the least

3 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Sorry but disagree with this. Mel has spent more than most in the championship over the last 18 months.

Also if your comparing to Franks squad, we now have a much better GK(Marshall), better LB(Buchanan), better CB(Clarke), equally as good RB(Byrne), Better DM(Bielik), better wingers(Ibe, Jozwiak), and arguably better squad players(Kazim, Hector-Ingram, Rooney, Bird, Sibley, Shinnie, Knight, Te Weirik, Whittaker, etc). Only areas i see being possibly weaker are CM and Right CB.

Yes but those 3 carried the whole team. I'd rather have those 3 than all the other players you listed.  

1 hour ago, DCFClks said:

Who knows, we might have been relegated last season had Rooney not come in. If Rooney wasn't here this season we'd be on 4 points instead of 6

Maybe. I still think he’s bought an extra layer of circus to Derby. I don’t like him as a person. I don’t think he’ll be a good manager. And I don’t think he’s justified his massive wages on the pitch in a Derby shirt. Give me two or three solid Championship players in his place any day. 

4 minutes ago, David said:

Probably should have mentioned it for those that didn’t see the other thread, but yeah that’s why I questioned it again.

As for Bielik, not sure, various numbers all over, depends which you believe are more credible. I mean we had the Mail saying Cocu was on 90k a week which seems a tad far fetched.

We didn’t replace Martin, or Keogh you’re right. We didn’t replace the 3 loans either after Frank left either when you think about it. 

With his delayed departure and the transfer embargo this summer, not been the greatest of circumstances.

When you stop to consider the reason for the embargo, it makes the underfunded for too long comments look a little bizarre to say the least

Given we have had to sell our ground to meet FFP I don't think MM could have realistically invested any more. There could be a debate to be had around how it was done etc...however I think that has been done to death and no doubt will continue to divide opinions going forward.

I'm not Mels biggest fan, however totally agree to say that he hasn't funded the club over the years isn't correct.

Low balling Darmstadt for Serdar Dursun is coming back to bite us in the arse. Feels like the club had it heart set on him as the replacement for Martin and Darmstadt wernt going to be low balled into selling a striker when they had no replacement. 

None of the other strikers linked (Austin etc) seemed interested in coming here when we were lowering the wage budget

12 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

I'd certainly disagree, the above players you mention are stuck at the bottom of the league.

Better defence that had  Keough, Tomori, Bogle and Malone / Cole in ?, not for me. Midfield that included Wilson and an England international. Let's not forget a player who has scored more goals than any of our players this season, add into the mix Huddlestone. 

This squad has nowhere near the quality of franks....

9 minutes ago, desirelines said:

Maybe. I still think he’s bought an extra layer of circus to Derby. I don’t like him as a person. I don’t think he’ll be a good manager. And I don’t think he’s justified his massive wages on the pitch in a Derby shirt. Give me two or three solid Championship players in his place any day. 

I'd also rather have 3 solid championship players instead, but I just don't agree with a lot of people on here who seem to be putting most of the blame on Rooney. What would playing Shinnie instead of Rooney today have achieved for example? The team on the pitch today is mid table quality at least with or without Rooney. It's also possible having Rooney here might have influenced the new owners arrival. 

Just now, DCFClks said:

I'd also rather have 3 solid championship players instead, but I just don't agree with a lot of people on here who seem to be putting most of the blame on Rooney. What would playing Shinnie instead of Rooney today have achieved for example? The team on the pitch today is mid table quality at least with or without Rooney. It's also possible having Rooney here might have influenced the new owners arrival. 

For sure, the whole team is under performing. Wayne wasn’t awful today and he isn’t at fault for many of the stupid goals we concede. However, a player of his achievements and experience should be able to galvanise this team better. Offer his experience to improve this team. But I’m not seeing that at the moment. Rooney strikes me as a very expensive luxury right now.

2 hours ago, David said:

As for sponsors insisting, I doubt it, he’s the captain. Captains rarely get dropped. The reason he probably plays every game when fit is down to Cocu valuing his experience on the pitch

Some of that applies, but regardless of actual pay 32Red do pay the majority, he wears number 32, there was a big song and dance about how he came to signing for Derby.

I’m fairly sure there’s something in his contract about appearances.

As for being captain. I get why he is and I don’t really have a problem with that, but I expect a lot more from someone with his experience and status. A lot more. And that’s as a player, he shouldn’t be in this false managerial position.

Wassall and Rosenior should swap roles for the time being.

2 hours ago, David said:

So we’re not up against FFP limits then? Second time you’ve alluded to us not spending tonight when those that have been critical of Mel, would say he’s spent far too much.

Not sure how on earth you can say there has been a lack of investment, it’s not even close to be remotely true. And that’s not an opinion, it’s a fact. 

Mel has invested massively. But doesn't FFP go in 3 year cycles? Where have we overspent in the last 3 seasons?

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

I don't think he's playing badly. Is he playing to the standard you expect from a player of his ability?

Sadly he's made to look a lot better by comparison to the rest of the team, who are playing mediocre at best.

and yet he would no doubt prosper if he had better players around him.....

12 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

Mel has invested massively. But doesn't FFP go in 3 year cycles? Where have we overspent in the last 3 seasons?

Bielik - 8-10mil

Jozwiak 4mil

Waghorn 5mil

Rooney Wages

Marriott 4-6mil

Josefzoon 2.5mil

Malone 1.5mil

Evans 1.5mil

Ashley Cole Wages

Holmes 1mil

then going a little further back...

Johnson 6mil

Butterfield 5mil

Blackman 2.5mil

Jerome 1.5mil

Lawrence 5-7mil

Wisdom 3-4mil

Anya 4mil

Vydra 8mil

Nugent 2.5mil

6 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Bielik - 8-10mil

Jozwiak 4mil

Waghorn 5mil

Rooney Wages

Marriott 4-6mil

Josefzoon 2.5mil

Malone 1.5mil

Evans 1.5mil

Ashley Cole Wages

Holmes 1mil

then going a little further back...

Johnson 6mil

Butterfield 5mil

Blackman 2.5mil

Jerome 1.5mil

Lawrence 5-7mil

Wisdom 3-4mil

Anya 4mil

Vydra 8mil

Nugent 2.5mil

But they're all more than 3 seasons ago now, we're in a new FFP period aren't we?

The problem with Rooney in midfield is he can’t play on his own he needs someone to do the dirty work.

Hes not really a CDM more a quarter back and a team with our issues in attack can’t afford to cater to his needs. 

He plays some nice short passes and Hollywood passes from left to right. 

I also noticed Bristol didn’t put anyone on him probably because they couldn’t afford to given their training situation.

Im betting he will struggle in the upcoming games as they will stick someone tight on him when he goes to the area on the left he always goes to, it happened earlier in the season and will happen again!

Shame as we could do with that additional body in attack

Archived