Bristol City v Derby County: Matchday Thread (A)

Ghost of Clough

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Bristol City is our next game. Wow. I need a drink ?

Time to appreciate the class of Martin and Weiman as they both score and we loose 3-0 me thinks. How Bristol City and Derby were similar quality last season is remarkable, our woeful recruitment has really cost us, signing unfit players, no replacement for Martin or Lowe didn't help but also the players should be ashamed of how they have played not just Cocus fault. 

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Saturday 21/11/2020 @ 15:00

A two week break to refresh ourselves. New owner, new manager, new enthusiasm. The only way is up from here...

A return to an attacking 433:

Marshall

Byrne   Wisdom   Clarke   Buchanan

Bielik

Knight   Bird

Jozwiak   Waghorn   Lawrence 

Subs: Marshall, te Wierik, Shinnie, Holmes, Sibley, Whittaker, Rooney

I can understand if you don't rate Roos but I don't think it is possible to start Marshall in goal and also have him on the bench. ?

4-4-2 diamonds are forever baby

Byrne-Davies-Clarke-Buchannan

Bielik

Knight      Sibley

Shrek*

Jozwiak-Waghorn

*Assuming Shrek the undroppable must play. If we can bench him move Sibley forward and bring Shinnie into midfield.

Subs: Lawrence, Bird, CKR

1 minute ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I can understand if you don't rate Roos but I don't think it is possible to start Marshall in goal and also have him on the bench. ?

I was hovering between Marshall or Roos as a starter, with Roos or Marshall as the sub. My eventual choice should have been Marshall starting with Roos on the bench. Another mistake in the next game switches their roles.

Blame the 'several' home brew ciders @DarkFruitsRam7 forced me to drink. I haven't even finished the second bottle ?

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I was hovering between Marshall or Roos as a starter, with Roos or Marshall as the sub. My eventual choice should have been Marshall starting with Roos on the bench. Another mistake in the next game switches their roles.

Blame the 'several' home brew ciders @DarkFruitsRam7 forced me to drink. I haven't even finished the second bottle ?

Apologies for being facetious, I actually agree with your selections apart from possibly retaining Shinnie in there at the expense of Bird. Although having Bird there would help us retain possession more. 

3 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Apologies for being facetious, I actually agree with your selections apart from possibly retaining Shinnie in there at the expense of Bird. Although having Bird there would help us retain possession more. 

Shinnie's beat use is winning possession back early. Knight's already in there to help with that and with no Rooney, the ret of the team can press constantly as well... no need for Shinnie except for when we need extra energy to close out a game (squad player at best).

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Shinnie's beat use is winning possession back early. Knight's already in there to help with that and with no Rooney, the ret of the team can press constantly as well... no need for Shinnie except for when we need extra energy to close out a game (squad player at best).

The only other situation I'd add is games were we expect to be firm underdogs (I.e. against the recently relegated teams). Even then there needs to be at least one player in there who looks to control the game.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Now I cannot understand this at ALL. Marshall is so much better than Roos. Are you shagging him or what?

Roos is better in a side wishin gto play out from the back. He's also better at reacting to sjots from range. Marshall is more commanding of his box and seems to be better at reacting to close range efforts.

Depending on style of play  one gets the edge over the other.

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Roos is better in a side wishing to play out from the back. He's also better at reacting to shots from range.

Nope. He is an average keeper even at this level. But I look forward to bids coming in for him to prove his worth.

Marshall is much better all round in any area you care to define. 

Not to kill the Roos/Marshall discussion, but Bristols game plan summed up by their coach was, force mistakes and punish them for it. The style of football we’re playing is so predictable that a mistake was bound to happen... Even the keeper of our dreams could not have saved us.

Marshall

Byrne      Te Wierik     Clarke       Buchanan

Bielik           Bird

Whittaker         Knight           Joswiak

Kazim

(Roos, Davies, Shinnie, Sibley, Ibe, Hector-Ingram, Duncan)

Archived