Bristol City v Derby County: Matchday Thread (A)

Ghost of Clough

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Roos is better in a side wishin gto play out from the back. He's also better at reacting to sjots from range. Marshall is more commanding of his box and seems to be better at reacting to close range efforts.

Depending on style of play  one gets the edge over the other.

In fairness I think Marshall has looked pretty calm and comfortable playing out from the back for the most part. Been quietly impressed by it so far. 

Think if we put two/three centre backs who are comfortable on the ball and midfielders who actually want the ball he'll be completely fine.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marshall 

Byrne   Bielik Clarke Buchanan 

Bird 

Knight    Sibley 

Jozwiak       Waghorn    Whittaker 

This would be my more serious selection plus a space on the bench for Ibe to hopefully come on towards the end .

Marshall (C)

Byrne    Wisdom      Clarke    Buchanan    
                          Bielik 

Knight                   Sibley 

Jozwiak         Waghorn           Lawrence 

Subs- Roos, Te Wierik, Fozzy, Bird, Shinnie, Ibe, Rooney 

- Assuming someone knew in charge so a change in approach.

- Actually play our creative players where they can do something.

- Give Ibe 25 minutes.

We know that Bristol are going to play 2 upfront, so I would definitely play with three at the back again for this game. I'm also going with Stretton in the team. Sibley to start, possibly Ibe too. 

Stretton deserves a chance for sure. How can you possibly tell him he doesn't at this stage? Cocu has gone away from the younger players recently and we've got worse for it. 

8 hours ago, Ambitious said:

We know that Bristol are going to play 2 upfront, so I would definitely play with three at the back again for this game. I'm also going with Stretton in the team. Sibley to start, possibly Ibe too. 

Stretton deserves a chance for sure. How can you possibly tell him he doesn't at this stage? Cocu has gone away from the younger players recently and we've got worse for it. 

This, I feel, has cost him dear. He looks to have panicked and reversed the things that appeared to be giving us hope last season, then flapped when that hasn't worked either. Changing repeatedly shows lost authority and didn't the shift start once they had a "team meeting" following Blackburn?

Cocu has to learn that there is a time to put consensus on hold and state your beliefs and "how it's going to be".

He's ended up with the worst of all worlds - youngsters have lost faith as they see their pathway compromised and they're not getting mentored. The older players are complacent as they know they'll walk straight back into the team.

10 hours ago, Ambitious said:

We know that Bristol are going to play 2 upfront, so I would definitely play with three at the back again for this game.

I get your argument but I can't help but feel we need to work out what our best 11 and formation is first before we think about adjustments based on opposition. Although if we do go with a 3 I'd go for it being a more forward thinking set up, probably with Bielik in the heart of the 3.

I'm also going with Stretton in the team. Sibley to start, possibly Ibe too. 

I largely agree. Personally would like to see the front three that started against forest and cardiff another crack but Stretton should definately be in the squad along with Ibe. Sibley to start for definate for me.

Cocu has gone away from the younger players recently and we've got worse for it. 

Absolutely, they've taken the fall for faults elsewhere in the team.

Marshall
Bryne Wisdom Clarke Buchannan
                   Bielik
         Knight        Sibley
Jozwiak                        Lawrence
                 Waghorn

Under a new manager, that could be a good side in this league. Cocu has just totally lost his way. 

One goal in open play this season is a joke. 

A 83 year old lady

Wheelie Bin ,  Shopping trolley ,  Watering Can ,  Broken remote control 

Burst  tyre ,   A Empty tin of Coke ,   Coffee table 

Zimmer frame ,    Fat Dave from The Sunday league ,  Photo frame 

it doesn't look very good on paper , but it might just give us a better attacking option ,  COFFEE TABLE ,  WATERING CAN  and Fat Dave From the Sunday league all to be taken off  with 10 mins to go  to be replaced  by  A Rusty Washer ,   Pillow Case and A Tub of Vic .... 

0 - 0  into the 94th  minute  83 year old lady goes up for a corner   YES SHE,S DONE IT ....Smash and grab  win 1 - 0 ....second win of the season ?

5 minutes ago, neil62uk said:

A 83 year old lady

Wheelie Bin ,  Shopping trolley ,  Watering Can ,  Broken remote control 

Burst  tyre ,   A Empty tin of Coke ,   Coffee table 

Zimmer frame ,    Fat Dave from The Sunday league ,  Photo frame 

it doesn't look very good on paper , but it might just give us a better attacking option ,  COFFEE TABLE ,  WATERING CAN  and Fat Dave From the Sunday league all to be taken off  with 10 mins to go  to be replaced  by  A Rusty Washer ,   Pillow Case and A Tub of Vic .... 

0 - 0  into the 94th  minute  83 year old lady goes up for a corner   YES SHE,S DONE IT ....Smash and grab  win 1 - 0 ....second win of the season ?

Personally i'd take Forsyth, Lawrence and Rooney out, but it's all opinions

6 minutes ago, neil62uk said:

You know 83 yr old lady has a hammy don't you, out for 3-4 weeks mate.

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

This, I feel, has cost him dear. He looks to have panicked and reversed the things that appeared to be giving us hope last season, then flapped when that hasn't worked either. Changing repeatedly shows lost authority and didn't the shift start once they had a "team meeting" following Blackburn?

Cocu has to learn that there is a time to put consensus on hold and state your beliefs and "how it's going to be".

He's ended up with the worst of all worlds - youngsters have lost faith as they see their pathway compromised and they're not getting mentored. The older players are complacent as they know they'll walk straight back into the team.

This. He allowed his more vocal players to decide the direction. Of course they would want to pick themselves and go with experience. It wasn't getting the wins but performances were improving. Who decided to change it up for QPR? 

He wasn't afraid to make early subs last season. It didn't seem he cared for experience. But now. I think that meeting has ruined his authority. Bird, Sibley and Knight should be the players we try to build around. Not Davies, Shinnie and Rooney! 

Unfortunately, the above 3 have been the solution but are now part of the problem.

Marshall
Byrne Te Wierik Clarke Buchanan
              Bielik   Knight        
                 Stretton JHI

Tough on Rooney, Davies, Shinnie and Waghorn but we need to inject some urgency into our game. 

Bielik can drop back if MTW or Clarke step forward. 

Knight needs to have outlets for his hard work so he's not trying to be attack and defence. 

Stretton and JHI play together and are young and ambitious, not tainted by defeat. 

5 hours ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

Marshall
Bryne Wisdom Clarke Buchannan
                   Bielik
         Knight        Sibley
                 Waghorn

Under a new manager, that could be a good side in this league. Cocu has just totally lost his way. 

One goal in open play this season is a joke. 

That does look a good side. Others have even included JHI, Stretton and Whittaker.

But does everyone think that bringing in a firefighter manager like Allardyce, McCarthy or Pullis would play so many youngsters?

They would turn to "seasoned professionals" to get us out of the mess.

Marshall

Byrne Davies Clarke Buchanan

Bielik

Holmes Rooney Shinnie Jozwiak

CKR

4 hours ago, IslandExile said:

That does look a good side. Others have even included JHI, Stretton and Whittaker.

But does everyone think that bringing in a firefighter manager like Allardyce, McCarthy or Pullis would play so many youngsters?

They would turn to "seasoned professionals" to get us out of the mess.

Which is what we did after game 3...really got the results didn't it. We are not in so desperate a situation we have talk of digging up dinosaurs. I'd rather take the gamble on giving Cocu more time than make a desperate appointment like that.

Archived