Handbags in '75

maxjam

50 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Franny said that's why he hit Hunter again as they marched off... because he realised he'd be suspended for the European games.

Domestic suspensions carried over to European competitions in those days.

I remember it well, Derby tried to get the FA to transfer the ban to just the domestic games, but the for runner to the EFL had it in for us, even then.?

I think we wouldn't have got knocked out if Franny had been able to play in that second leg.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems like yesterday. The whole game had been very tense and the fight just added to it. When Roger scored the winner that just topped everything. What an afternoon. I was in the Popside towards the Normanton End so I must be somewhere in the picture with the autographs posted above. I think there was a League Cup game at Doncaster not too long after this and I can remember stones being chucked at us behind a goal by a combined mob of Leeds and Doncaster fans. 

Oh Franny that was the softest of pen decisions, no wonder Norman was a tad upset! In the intro Motson called us ‘The Champions’, gives me a tingle now listening. Really pleased they made up and had dinner every year on anniversary of that game.
Many thanks for link @Mostyn6 have shared on fbook  ? 

On 02/11/2020 at 16:27, Gerry Daly said:

I think off the pitch Hunter was a great guy. As were most of the Leeds players. We would have been happy enough had they been playing for us! 

Not so sure about that. 

I was on the Vulcan Street Popside at 15 years old. We were proper little scrotes, drinking tins of Long Life Beer, silk scarves around the wrist or hanging from our belts.

Some of us had tartan turn ups on our jeans and Doc Martens boots sprayed silver or polished ox blood red, in the fashion of the Bay City Rollers, Google 'Shang a lang" if you dare!

Most of us sported feather cuts (think young Rod Stewart) or Skinhead/Suedehead cuts.

Loved it, growing up with that sort of football history was unbelievable. We were the reigning champions of England playing the team who thought they should have been the champions and a full scale brawl erupted on the pitch that carried on into the streets after the game.

The whole day was a massive adventure, it all sounds so wrong now but at the time, I loved every second of it. It was exciting and scary at the same time. Its hard to describe the journey back to the station, Leeds fans one side of the road, Derby the other side, along Osmaston Road/Ivy square, down Bateman Street onto London Road and the inevitable brawl at the top of Midland Road by the Crown and Cushion, police dogs and horses trying to keep the mobs apart, truncheons flying, lads bursting through the police lines on suicide missions.......2 hours after the final whistle there was fighting on the platforms of Derby station.....

Not as bad as 1983 though when the dirties threw the wooden seats down on the Ossie End. That was violent.

6 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

This was one of several games that has made beating Leeds the number one priority for me despite the scum neighbours.

We are light years away from performances like this now , not just in terms of skill but of passion and (not literally) fight

Shinnie is the new Archie Gemmill. ?

On 01/11/2020 at 15:23, Mostyn6 said:

This one probably better. 

Great footage! I'd only ever seen shorter clips before.

Can anyone help me out in terms of formations back then? At times it looked like Derby could be playing 4 up front with Lee, Geoege, Hector and Davies! Todd I'd thought was a defender but looks more like a midfielder at times, were formations "fluid" back then? Would love to know more

I think in general we played a 4-3-3. Whilst to start with Hector was up the middle, in later years and in these teams he played on the right of the front 3. In that team, and before Davies came on, the 3 midfielders were Rioch, Gemmill and Newton. Todd could certainly get forward and there was a time when he was moved into midfield and Steve Powell replaced him at the back. McFarland was injured for that game, but he would get forward as well and could probably have played as a centre forward if they wanted him to. I'm not sure formations were more fluid, I don't think the coaching was quite so intensive as it is now though. One final point, there was only one sub, which was more than often a striker. Roger Davies in this case. So I suppose that if you had to make a sub the tactical changes you could make were more limited  

10 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I was on the Vulcan Street Popside at 15 years old. We were proper little scrotes, drinking tins of Long Life Beer, silk scarves around the wrist or hanging from our belts.

Some of us had tartan turn ups on our jeans and Doc Martens boots sprayed silver or polished ox blood red, in the fashion of the Bay City Rollers, Google 'Shang a lang" if you dare!

Most of us sported feather cuts (think young Rod Stewart) or Skinhead/Suedehead cuts.

Loved it, growing up with that sort of football history was unbelievable. We were the reigning champions of England playing the team who thought they should have been the champions and a full scale brawl erupted on the pitch that carried on into the streets after the game.

The whole day was a massive adventure, it all sounds so wrong now but at the time, I loved every second of it. It was exciting and scary at the same time. Its hard to describe the journey back to the station, Leeds fans one side of the road, Derby the other side, along Osmaston Road/Ivy square, down Bateman Street onto London Road and the inevitable brawl at the top of Midland Road by the Crown and Cushion, police dogs and horses trying to keep the mobs apart, truncheons flying, lads bursting through the police lines on suicide missions.......2 hours after the final whistle there was fighting on the platforms of Derby station.....

Not as bad as 1983 though when the dirties threw the wooden seats down on the Ossie End. That was violent.

...But try telling that to kids of today!  

45 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

I think in general we played a 4-3-3. Whilst to start with Hector was up the middle, in later years and in these teams he played on the right of the front 3. In that team, and before Davies came on, the 3 midfielders were Rioch, Gemmill and Newton. Todd could certainly get forward and there was a time when he was moved into midfield and Steve Powell replaced him at the back. McFarland was injured for that game, but he would get forward as well and could probably have played as a centre forward if they wanted him to. I'm not sure formations were more fluid, I don't think the coaching was quite so intensive as it is now though. One final point, there was only one sub, which was more than often a striker. Roger Davies in this case. So I suppose that if you had to make a sub the tactical changes you could make were more limited  

So interesting, thanks for the info ?

From highlights I've seen of this era Archie Gemmil looks like would be my favourite player of all time. Just seems an incredible mix of technique and tenacity

On 01/11/2020 at 18:55, Normanton Lad said:

It seems like yesterday. The whole game had been very tense and the fight just added to it. When Roger scored the winner that just topped everything. What an afternoon. I was in the Popside towards the Normanton End so I must be somewhere in the picture with the autographs posted above. I think there was a League Cup game at Doncaster not too long after this and I can remember stones being chucked at us behind a goal by a combined mob of Leeds and Doncaster fans. 

...I was most likely standing next to you!

Archived