Handbags in '75

maxjam

2 hours ago, Patrick Rams said:

.. Why? We were the reigning League Champions???

We were, but they had been better than us and were a top team for longer. I didn't mean that though, I just meant that if by chance any or all of their players had played for us instead of Leeds we would have been more than happy about it

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, abertawe_ram said:

So interesting, thanks for the info ?

From highlights I've seen of this era Archie Gemmil looks like would be my favourite player of all time. Just seems an incredible mix of technique and tenacity

Yes and he could have probably held his own in the modern game. Most players from the 70's wouldn't have been anything like fit enough - though of course they could have got fit - but Archie was just as fit as modern players, he could run all day    

34 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Yes and he could have probably held his own in the modern game. Most players from the 70's wouldn't have been anything like fit enough - though of course they could have got fit - but Archie was just as fit as modern players, he could run all day    

Not sure many modern players would have had the stamina or skill to play on the BBG at it’s muddy best. ?

King Kev just used to glide over it 

On 01/11/2020 at 17:24, IslandExile said:

Franny said that's why he hit Hunter again as they marched off... because he realised he'd be suspended for the European games.

Domestic suspensions carried over to European competitions in those days.

I met Franny at a DCFC book launch many years ago (about 15 yrs!) and I arranged to send him a copy of the Match of the 70s DVD, for his son). He asked me if the Leeds game was on it, and he smiled when I said 'No, it isn't'. He didn't enjoy that game being the most common reference made, when he met fans!

He said most fans only thanked him for jobbing Bite Yer Legs Hunter - but he most wanted to be remembered for the football. 

He said he went back to attack Hunter again because he tasted blood and knew his lip was badly split, it made him livid all over again, he'd literally got the Red Mist! 

I finished my chat, and another fan came up to meet him....no kidding, the fan immediately said 'well done for 'doing' Norman Hunter!' Franny smiled weakly and gave me a knowing look....

I very much enjoyed Franny's spell at Derby - and that Mackay team with Hector, George, Rioch, Lee was bristling with goals and entertainment.

NB: please PM me if you want a copy of DCFC M O T 70s DVD, new sealed, I can supply)

Archived