Abu Derby County

tinman

14 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Ah right, so you want a video of him beating a pro-democracy protestor before you make a judgement?

Hate to disappoint you but that isn't likely. What is undisputed is the hold that family has on the UAE & as a beneficiary of the oil money, Sheikh Khalid is a component of that poisonous structure.

Give the bloke a chance? Bit ironic given your campaign for a managerial change since last November. 

Strange comparison to draw.

I didn’t call for Cocu’s head before the ink had dried on his contract. I watched some games, saw his impact, and came to a judgement.

Sheikh Khaled hasn’t even picked up the pen to sign his and he is already being condemned.

Do we know exactly how Sheikh Khaled made his money? Do we know what part he played in any human rights atrocities? Do we know what he believes or supports or endorses? Do we know how involved he is in the family structure and who he aligns with?

I am not saying he is a good guy or even that he will be a good owner. I honestly have no clue. But I think it’s a bit too soon to be swayed so strongly one way or another.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Were a top flight team who've been in the sailing in the doldrums to long.

Not really.

We're a middling-sized town club who punched above our weight for a decade half a century ago under the greatest manager of them all.

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Not really.

We're a middling-sized town club who punched above our weight for a decade half a century ago under the greatest manager of them all.

True but if Burnley and Brighton can eke out an existence in the Premier League Derby fans should set their sights no lower

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Not really.

Founder members of the football league. Twice league winners and runner up on a few occasions. First team to win the FA cup after the war- and a few other finals. Broke the British record transfer fee a few times. Spent in excess of half our history in the top division, around 70 years ?. European cup semi- finalists.  Introduced the football world to Brian Clough as a managerial master. A team full of high and some top quality internationals not long ago.

Think your underselling us somewhat. 

8 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I don't think it would be a tourist hotspot for LGBGT folk Roy (I'm struggling with the letters too but it's been a hard week). I still don't really understand your point. Are you saying that because for some folk, their treatment in the UAE is not an issue, that it should not be an issue for anyone, because that makes no sense I'm afraid.

Can you give us the stats on number of homosexuals executed in Abu Dhabi please?

8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Having looked into it a bit more, something doesn’t quite feel right here. There seems to be very little Information on his net worth whatsoever, only that of his family, which he doesn’t seem very high up in. There’s no real evidence that he has any sort of significant funds himself to invest. His company website hasn’t been updated in what looks like a decade, and looks like it was designed by a 10 year old. Nothing there to suggest serious income. I hope I’m wrong, but this absolutely screams Fawaz mk2 to me.

Have you ever considered applying for a role in the fit and proper persons testing department at the EFL? Sounds as though your extensive research could be very useful to them.

Why did his bids to takeover Newcastle And Liverpool fall through? 

If it was because of a failure to provide proof of funds in either case we should be very concerned. 

I don't know if that was 100% the case, but if it was then the fact its being glossed over is a bit worrying. You don't just find football club purchasing sums of money down the back of the sofa. 

Keep seeing comparisons to Man City & if the new Rich owners ever left then we'd be in trouble. 

We do realise that city are now pretty much sustainable. The academy cost £200m to build but since then has sold £160m worth of players from it. Its nearly paid for itself. 

Theyre now playing champions league football & are now a world wide brand. 

To get to where they are, theyve had to spend big initially, buy the next class of player up to eventually get better & finally attract world class players. 

I dont think any city fans would swap winning the league for battling it out in old division two. Most fans thought they'd never see their team win anything in their lifetime but they have. A few fans ive spoke to have said its got boring now. You don't celebrate beating Watford 6-0 in the FA cup final the same because its too easy & even though the football was good has become boring. They did win one of the most entertaining title races ever though. 

If you get massive like them & become a worldwide club youre always going to attract the glory hunting plastic fans. But thats what happens when you become successful. 

Im excited about the potential of where we go with this

8 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Why did his bids to takeover Newcastle And Liverpool fall through? 

If it was because of a failure to provide proof of funds in either case we should be very concerned. 

I don't know if that was 100% the case, but if it was then the fact its being glossed over is a bit worrying. You don't just find football club purchasing sums of money down the back of the sofa. 

We'll never know the truth but from what ive read online. There was a bid for Liverpool but the club wasn't for sale & the owners didnt want to sell, so negotiations never got far. 

Newcastle the bid was in the table & funds proven. Then Ashley upped the asking price & this was seen as an insult & they pulled out. 

Not sure how true either reports are. But I'm also not sure ashley actually has a desire to get rid of Newcastle. Sell at the right price to him maybe. But get rid probably not. 

45 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Can you give us the stats on number of homosexuals executed in Abu Dhabi please?

I made a similar point yesterday but that was before he wrote he was over 6ft and 16st.. So I will let him reply to your badgering line of questioning. 

8 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

We'll never know the truth but from what ive read online. There was a bid for Liverpool but the club wasn't for sale & the owners didnt want to sell, so negotiations never got far. 

Newcastle the bid was in the table & funds proven. Then Ashley upped the asking price & this was seen as an insult & they pulled out. 

Not sure how true either reports are. But I'm also not sure ashley actually has a desire to get rid of Newcastle. Sell at the right price to him maybe. But get rid probably not. 

Pulled this part from one of the stories on the Newcastle takeover maybe explains why it is hard to find how much money is involved, 

Dubai journalist and presenter Peter Redding went on the record to say: “ Given his wealth you only have to look at the company's trading and profits. Here in the UAE local business people do not speak of wealth it is known as Haram (not allowed). But it is definitely safe to say he is a serious player.”

14 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Keep seeing comparisons to Man City & if the new Rich owners ever left then we'd be in trouble. 

We do realise that city are now pretty much sustainable. The academy cost £200m to build but since then has sold £160m worth of players from it. Its nearly paid for itself. 

Theyre now playing champions league football & are now a world wide brand. 

To get to where they are, theyve had to spend big initially, buy the next class of player up to eventually get better & finally attract world class players. 

I dont think any city fans would swap winning the league for battling it out in old division two. Most fans thought they'd never see their team win anything in their lifetime but they have. A few fans ive spoke to have said its got boring now. You don't celebrate beating Watford 6-0 in the FA cup final the same because its too easy & even though the football was good has become boring. They did win one of the most entertaining title races ever though. 

If you get massive like them & become a worldwide club youre always going to attract the glory hunting plastic fans. But thats what happens when you become successful. 

Im excited about the potential of where we go with this

I don't really get the point about 'doing a City' as it seems to be based on visions of thousands of plastic fans.. As if that's to do with where the money came from. 

You can say 'I don't support where the money is coming from' but for me, the only convincing argument made so far is from the gay fan (apologies forget who wrote that) who said they couldn't personally carry on supporting the club.

No matter how you got to the point where we were in the Premier League challenging for Europe, you would get plastic fans coming out the woodwork. If we got to the astronomical point where we were in the Champions League buying top class players, we would have even more plastic fans, regardless of how we did it.  And let's be fair, its highly unlikely regardless and nigh on impossible without huge investment in the first place. 

Let's see what happens, but I for one am bored with my own plastic fan kid's being dazzled elsewhere, a bit of media attention, ambition and even success would be most welcome in my house at least. 

31 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

I would imagine this is the most plausible scenario on both counts.

Why would Henry want to sell Liverpool especially 12 months ago when they hadn’t reached peak and still hadn’t won the title. Would make no business sense.

Mike Ashley is a Bamford

Dont get me wrong I'm all for a new super rich owner as nothing would give me greater pleasure than seeing our team lifting trophies and playing in the highest league etc etc.but there is just something I love about us building it with our own youth and grinding out success with hard work that i want even more.dont get me wrong i will support Derby who ever is in charge,whoever's owns us, what ever players we have and what ever division we are in....guess I just like the fairy tale.

Wow. Been reading what the laws are in UAE. Definitely worth a read. I can't see how anyone can defend them. 

This man is part of the infrastructure of UAE if you like it or not. 

I would breathe a sigh of relief if this falls through. No thank you. 

5 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Do we know exactly how Sheikh Khaled made his money? Do we know what part he played in any human rights atrocities? Do we know what he believes or supports or endorses? Do we know how involved he is in the family structure and who he aligns with?

Oh yes, Im sure all these questions will be posed at the press conference & his background probed endlessly by Derby fans before they give him the green light to bring Andy Carroll in on a 5 year contract ?

Lets not pretend there's any conditionality here other than 'he's very rich' or that any amount of evidence is going to sway that self-interest.

18 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Wow. Been reading what the laws are in UAE. Definitely worth a read. I can't see how anyone can defend them. 

This man is part of the infrastructure of UAE if you like it or not. 

I would breathe a sigh of relief if this falls through. No thank you. 

There is 100% an ethical question mark over this takeover. As demonstrated in this thread, some people will factor it in and others won't. 

As I said at the start of this discussion, the question over supporting a club when owners linked to oppressive states are complex. 

On the one hand a lot of fans won't want to support the club through spending their time and/or money on the club. On the other hand, as fans we can't realistically control who owns our club so why should we deprive ourselves of it? 

It is down to each of us to decide which side of it we sit No point everyone falling out over it. 

Archived