Abu Derby County

tinman

Just now, hintonsboots said:

I think Football in general in lacking in moral standards already. Plenty of cheating, diving, trying to get your opponents booked or sent off at every possible opportunity. Feigning injury, gobbing, deliberately injuring a fellow professional....and then there’s the EFL.?

I don't disagree, but there is a big difference between diving and human rights abuse. 

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

Do we have the death penalty for minors in the UK...? just for instance?

No but dont we kill them dropping bombs in countries we have no right to be in sometimes?

5 hours ago, Ramarena said:

I can understand the attraction of this if it’s legit in terms of his wealth and not getting the begging bowl out from his family like that circus down the road under Fawaz.

I’d imagine Cocu would be out the door pretty sheepish unless Mel could convince them of a long term plan. 

Expect Rooney In charge or Rooney assisting a big name appointment!

Its Lampard (offer on the table) with Rooney according to my info, and this is a 99% done deal - just the i's dotting and Ts etc....

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Pretty sure GEE wasn't in control or a prince of the USA. It's quite different.

Very true but the discussions have been generalising about the country so I compared countries. 

I have concerns about UAE and their human rights but I was trying to give a comparison not condoning. 

An individual or corporate responsibility for a countries behaviour is a complex discussion, are you more culpable for action or inaction?

2 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

when we were beating Real Mardid was we being backed by an oil rich company with the moral compass of a bus load of serial killers?

The best way to change the world is to show people how much we have in common. Isn't it better to expose people to a culture that is more tolerant, instead of saying "we refuse to have anything to do with you, you bastids"? Because that's really going to persuade people to change to make the world a better place.

19 minutes ago, wollatonram said:

You will have to excuse me but this is not true at all.

The President of the UAE is Khalifa, the half brother of Mansour (Man City owner). Mansour's late father was the old President of the UAE, and basically ran the country. He is currently the vice-primeminister of the country.

The close immediate family of Mansour are the ones that run the country and have access to all the states wealth through the soverign wealth fund. The £875bn fund which you mention is ran by that small group of the Royal Family, which Man City is a branch under. Khaled is not in that circle & he isn't close immediate family, so doesn't have access to that wealth or is involved in any way.

The only thing Khaled is president of is the UAE Sailing & Rowing Federation and an honory president at a lot of places. His main business (Bin Zayed) hasn't updated it's website for 12 years. He may well have money but he won't come close to state backed wealth.

I think you have to view this things with skeptism because what is his aim with us? He won't have enough money, backing or motive to make us another Man City. I doubt he is buying us to make money chasing the Prem dollar. So why is he buying us? I am worried we will be a bit of a play thing.

Oh crap so how much has he got then? Or is it like the Yanks that took over Man U, he'll just borrow against us? (Although that'll get him tuppence!)

This is the only time I'm going to step the political side of this debate.

The UAE is one of the more liberal muslim countries, it's certainly not perfect and there's plenty of work to be done. The influence of a large number of Western migrants and a desire to be taken more seriously in the business world is also helping soften attitudes. 

Abu Dhabi and Dubai are the most easy going of the Emirates, with Sharjah being arguable the most conservative despite it's proximity to Dubai. A westerner can have a relatively comfortable life and fit in there fairly easily, personally I'd prefer Oman if I had to live in that region but the UAE offers many westerners a good life if that's their bag. Dubai and Abu Dhabi are also pretty technologically advanced (more so than many UK cities). 

The UAE does have a death penalty but it isn't used regularly and an interesting law allows the victims family to choose for the death penalty to be carried out, or the family to receive compensation and the perpetrator to serve jail time only. Also the UAE has very low crime rates so the death penalty isn't often called upon anyway. 

It's a country that has come a long way in a very short period of time, there are still big problems there but if you think back 20 years the country is unrecognisable. 

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oh crap so how much has he got then? Or is it like the Yanks that took over Man U, he'll just borrow against us? (Although that'll get him tuppence!)

It is impossible for me to guess how much he has got, he isn't gonna be living in a 3 bedroom semi-detached put it that way. He seems to have a decent business background, but a lot of the information is outdated and a fair few have gone out of business. He will probably be buying us with his own money, immediate families or borrowed money. 

Archived