Igor - 25 years since he signed

GuiseleyRam

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

When Croatia played in Euro 96 they were based in Nottingham and I knew the chap who was the official translator for them. Unfortunately too much juicy stuff to share on a public site but needless to say Igor played hard on the pitch and played hard of it too ?

Ooooh, you tease! ?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking through the latest threads on here it feels a bit deja vue 95/96 season....Igor, a back 5, a combative midfield 2 and a fluid interchangeable 3. Could Knight and Shinny be our new Powell and Van der Lann, could  Lawrence, Jozwiak and Waggy our new Williams, Studger and Gabby? Like 25 years ago could Belik come in in early November and be our Stimac and we go on a 21 match unbeaten run? A pipe dream maybe or just fate?

13 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

When Croatia played in Euro 96 they were based in Nottingham and I knew the chap who was the official translator for them. Unfortunately too much juicy stuff to share on a public site but needless to say Igor played hard on the pitch and played hard off it too ?

My cousin got a job at the City ground as a runner during the tournament, sending roles of film off as they were taken for the papers.  She gave me a Euro 96 press photography white jacket after the tournament that she was given.  Forgotten about it till now.  Happy days around that time.  Perhaps it was just being in my early twenties but life seemed far less restrictive then and far less robotic than todays society.

13 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

My cousin got a job at the City ground as a runner during the tournament, sending roles of film off as they were taken for the papers.  She gave me a Euro 96 press photography white jacket after the tournament that she was given.  Forgotten about it till now.  Happy days around that time.  Perhaps it was just being in my early twenties but life seemed far less restrictive then and far less robotic than todays society.

Ask Igor to recommend some young Croation players. Not rocket science 

Tremendous player.

the only player in the last 50 years to have something of the aura of Dave Mackay.

i loved one moment v Villa. He came out defence, looked at Villa with absolute contempt , and then did some keepy uppy.

villa were incensed. So incensed that they smashed him, robbed the ball and scored. But i still loved it.

It’s up there with bucko’s sending off at Forest.

He did our end of season awards ceremony in 1997. I was terrified as he was my favourite player, I walked up to the stage to get my trophy, he winked at me and said you’re frightened, to which I didn’t know what to say, then he shook my hand and absolutely crushed, hardest handshake I’ve ever received in my life (handshakes remember them!) 

Then after he’d presented all the awards he went for a fag with the senior squads. 

What a guy!

5 hours ago, GuiseleyRam said:

Friday 31 October will be the 25th anniversary since Igor Stimac signed for the Rams. The feature below recalls Igor's impact on the team. Does anyone have any memories of Igor off the pitch? 

http://www.derbycountymemories.co.uk/igor-stimac

When I heard he was going to be a guest at a game at Pride Park, I messaged him to see if he would sign one of his match worn shirts I had ( didn't expect a reply) but he messaged back and told me to meet him in the reception at Pride Park. Top man.

31947811_613923228961270_1856739393130201088_o.jpg

I rember fitting his cable TV, he lived on the new estate at Littleover on a cul de sac along with asanovic and Jacob Laursen, I think Lionel had a few properties up there for the overseas players, also met his wife a former miss yugoslavia absolutely stunning, made me a brew happy days! 

6 hours ago, Taribo said:

What an arrogant player.

....absolutely loved him, 

Absolutely - he strutted around the pitch looking at the opposition as if to say "What do you think you are doing on my pitch?" Extremely arrogant, but he never let it become conceit! Great times!

Igor threw his shirt to me in the away end at Filbert Street one cold Wednesday night. I remember my mum stuffing it up my jumper and we travelled back to Derby on the Roadrider in silence to avoid suspicion.

Our milkman at the time was the dad of one of the coaches and he took it away to get it signed for me. In hindsight I probably wouldn't have worn it every week as the writing has faded a bit but I used to feel about 10 feet tall walking to the ground in my Igor Stimac signed, match worn shirt.

What a player. What a legend.

I remember listening to us get humped on his debut buy tranmere rovers at prenton Park with John Aldridge making our entire back four look a joke.

remeber GR and CG on radio Derby say that stimac looked class but might take time to settle..... I was thinking u joking we’ve just been humped

jim Smith then swapped to A 3 at the back .... igor and Derby county never looked back 

with the possible exception of Mark Wright he was the greatest defender iv seen in a Derby shirt 

he oozed oozed class , and when He’s stepped in , takIng the ball off a centre forward and strode out of The back line with an adoring BBG bowing and going igor igor igor 

well, it doesn’t get much better 

16 hours ago, Charlie George's header said:

Looking through the latest threads on here it feels a bit deja vue 95/96 season....Igor, a back 5, a combative midfield 2 and a fluid interchangeable 3. Could Knight and Shinny be our new Powell and Van der Lann, could  Lawrence, Jozwiak and Waggy our new Williams, Studger and Gabby? Like 25 years ago could Belik come in in early November and be our Stimac and we go on a 21 match unbeaten run? A pipe dream maybe or just fate?

You’ve been smoking something u naughty boy ?

I was at the Tranmere game for Igor’s debut. As others confirmed despite the result he played with a certain aura and scored the goal in the 5-1 defeat. 

Great day, several pubs, Kit Kat challenge, lost in Birkenhead, not understanding the locals directions and taking over the Prenton Pub. We travelled in huge numbers back then, many familiar faces all coming together. 

Must admit we wondered what Igor would have thought after that first game. I’m sure TBE never showed him the training ground on his visit before he signed for his due to its state. 

A magical run followed with Igor our cult hero. Memories I always cherish.

Along side Mark Wright as the best Centre Back I ever saw in our colours. I really couldn’t choose. 

Still feels like yesterday ... Igor, Igor, Igor 

Cheers
Gangway D from the terrace

Archived