Igor - 25 years since he signed

GuiseleyRam

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a picture with Igor when he visited Pride Park a few seasons back and as I stood next to him I realised why he was able to bring the ball out of defence, stop, put his foot on the ball and wave to the fans before resuming play: absolute mountain of a guy. No centre forward could get near him. There are lots of colourful stories about Igor and his time in Derby some of which can’t be repeated but what a total legend he so quickly became and a lesson in how a club’s fortunes can turn based on signing the right player.

I remember following Croatia during Euro 96, Igor had obviously got promotion with us and Asanovic had just signed.

They we’re playing Germany and a loose ball ended up near Croatia’s corner flag with Igor chasing ahead of Klinsmann.

Igor gets their first, holds Klinsmann off, scoops the ball up and balances it in his foot for a second as Klinsmann tries to get at it.

He then flicks the ball over both their heads turns and runs away with it, whilst Klinsmann one Europe’s leading strikers looks on in disbelief on Europe’s biggest stage!

Uttely majestic!!!!!!!!!

I sat there thinking, that’s our Igor and he’s ducking amazing!

image.jpeg.b3c8239f14f14332a0920eb5b3b506ef.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Yep at tranmere, Igor scored our goal on his debut

Then 20 games unbeaten.... My first regular matches that year and the start of 17 years of season tickets after.....

What a player he was.... Simply the best defender I have seen live for us.... The Virgil Van Dijk of his time ..... Legend 

That makes me feel horribly old. Was at his debut match and you could see his quality despite the 5-1 thrashing at Tranmere (we ALWAYS got beat at Tranmere). 

We then went about 20 games unbeaten before losing at eventual champions Sunderland iirc.

38 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I got a picture with Igor when he visited Pride Park a few seasons back and as I stood next to him I realised why he was able to bring the ball out of defence, stop, put his foot on the ball and wave to the fans before resuming play: absolute mountain of a guy. No centre forward could get near him. There are lots of colourful stories about Igor and his time in Derby some of which can’t be repeated but what a total legend he so quickly became and a lesson in how a club’s fortunes can turn based on signing the right player.

Caaaaaaaaarm on Ella! Must be one or two you can share with a liberal sprinkling of terms like 'may or may not have' and 'allegedly'. I'm dying hear them myself ?

27 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

I remember following Croatia during Euro 96, Igor had obviously got promotion with us and Asanovic had just signed.

They we’re playing Germany and a loose ball ended up near Croatia’s corner flag with Igor chasing ahead of Klinsmann.

Igor gets their first, holds Klinsmann off, scoops the ball up and balances it in his foot for a second as Klinsmann tries to get at it.

He then flicks the ball over both their heads turns and runs away with it, whilst Klinsmann one Europe’s leading strikers looks on in disbelief on Europe’s biggest stage!

Uttely majestic!!!!!!!!!

I sat there thinking, that’s our Igor and he’s ducking amazing!

image.jpeg.b3c8239f14f14332a0920eb5b3b506ef.jpeg

I remember the commentator saying something like "the Derby fans will be licking their lips at these two"..I'm sure Asanovic got voted midfielder of the tournament.

1-5 at Tranmere, didn’t make that game but I was Season Ticket holder back then so managed to see him live plenty. Wish I’d known what was to come, simply awesome and above Mark Wright who I hold in the very highest regard. I voted him player of the season but he lost to Dean Yates and by all accounts wasn’t too impressed by that. Arise Sir Igor. THE best player I’ve seen in a Derby shirt. Hope he gets back to Derby in the new normal times. 

44 minutes ago, Rampant said:

That makes me feel horribly old. Was at his debut match and you could see his quality despite the 5-1 thrashing at Tranmere (we ALWAYS got beat at Tranmere). 

We then went about 20 games unbeaten before losing at eventual champions Sunderland iirc.

I remember telling  a friend, who couldn’t make the Tranmere thrashing, that Igor was different class. It was difficult to explain how our new defender was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch when we had just conceded five goals but we all soon caught on??.

I also remember a game away at Port Vale that season when Igor dribbled the ball past two or three players in our own six yard box before passing to Gary Rowett who wellied the ball out of play in panic. Of course, why Rowett was doing that, Igor already had his arms aloft facing the Derby fans to take in his adulation. 

The thing I always thought about Igor was that his ability and confidence convinced a very average group of footballers that they were better than they actually were. What an awesome period in our history.

51 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Caaaaaaaaarm on Ella! Must be one or two you can share with a liberal sprinkling of terms like 'may or may not have' and 'allegedly'. I'm dying hear them myself ?

When Croatia played in Euro 96 they were based in Nottingham and I knew the chap who was the official translator for them. Unfortunately too much juicy stuff to share on a public site but needless to say Igor played hard on the pitch and played hard off it too ?

Archived