Igor - 25 years since he signed

GuiseleyRam

On 25/10/2020 at 11:43, RadioactiveWaste said:

The 90s Mike Te Weirk

Serious point here - for the past three decades, every foreign defender has been compared with Stimac, with often the only two similarities they may have is that 1.) they're a professional footballer and 2.) they have been born in one of the world's other 194 countries.

One you establish that almost 7 billion people fit into the second category, then Te Weirik is as likely to be the next Jimmy O'Connor as he is the next Stimac.

1.) and 2.) also caused a mass hysteria in the East Midlands  in 2015 which led to many Derby fans proclaiming that Raul Albentosa was to be the next Stimac, without having seen him play. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

Remember it like yesterday 

Better than me then, I think of all the games and the 6-0 v Man City and 3-2 at Old Trafford two fantastic memories......see you can enjoy football being a Ram post title winning days 

I'll never forget Boxing Day 1995, away at Huddersfield. A 1-0 away victory which I think took us top of the table at the time. Probably the coldest day ever watching footy! Spent the whole match standing up, struggling to see past this giant man in front of me. Turned out to be Igor's Dad. He didn't speak much English, but there was no mistaking the genes. I've never got particularly close to Igor himself, but if he was anywhere near as big as his old man, then no wonder he dominated matches the way he did.

As others have said. Absolute legend. If it wasn't for a growing up watching a certain Bobby Davison, Igor would have been my favourite all time Derby player.  

On 26/10/2020 at 20:15, GangwayD said:

I was at the Tranmere game for Igor’s debut. As others confirmed despite the result he played with a certain aura and scored the goal in the 5-1 defeat. 

Great day, several pubs, Kit Kat challenge, lost in Birkenhead, not understanding the locals directions and taking over the Prenton Pub. We travelled in huge numbers back then, many familiar faces all coming together. 

Must admit we wondered what Igor would have thought after that first game. I’m sure TBE never showed him the training ground on his visit before he signed for his due to its state. 

A magical run followed with Igor our cult hero. Memories I always cherish.

Along side Mark Wright as the best Centre Back I ever saw in our colours. I really couldn’t choose. 

Still feels like yesterday ... Igor, Igor, Igor 

Cheers
Gangway D from the terrace

Well aren't I the privileged one - I got to watch Igor, Mark Wright AND Roy MacFarland - all in the same lifetime! ? 

Can’t believe no one has brought up this story (it’s from memory but I think at least 90% correct!):

A Derby man and wife, in their 70’s, went on a coach trip to Croatia, the man was taken ill and had to have emergency surgery there. Stuck in hospital with no mobiles, no insurance, and bank cards that had been stopped due to ‘suspicious activity’ the wife, using her last dinari* called her son back in Derby.

Worried and unable to help, the son wracked his brains to think of what to do; well, the only Croatian he knew of was Ex-Derby legend Igor. Calling up the club, the son was able to get hold of Igor’s number, so called him.

Igor apparently drove 100 miles through the night to the hospital, translated for the doctors, paid for various things, spoke to the Croatian Embassy, and when the guy was well enough helped arrange flights out of the country.

*maybe slightly embellished, and dinari is definitely not right

19 minutes ago, Taribo said:

Can’t believe no one has brought up this story (it’s from memory but I think at least 90% correct!):

A Derby man and wife, in their 70’s, went on a coach trip to Croatia, the man was taken ill and had to have emergency surgery there. Stuck in hospital with no mobiles, no insurance, and bank cards that had been stopped due to ‘suspicious activity’ the wife, using her last dinari* called her son back in Derby.

Worried and unable to help, the son wracked his brains to think of what to do; well, the only Croatian he knew of was Ex-Derby legend Igor. Calling up the club, the son was able to get hold of Igor’s number, so called him.

Igor apparently drove 100 miles through the night to the hospital, translated for the doctors, paid for various things, spoke to the Croatian Embassy, and when the guy was well enough helped arrange flights out of the country.

Well remembered! Sounds like this story. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-13542211

3 hours ago, GuiseleyRam said:

Well remembered! Sounds like this story. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-13542211

I imagine Wayne Rooney would do something Similar for any of us in ten years time if we got taken ill in Liverpool and needed a translator. 

What a guy Igor is! The only story I have heard that compares is when a Derby fan I know Needed to draw a heptagon for his maths homework and Claude Davis let him draw round his head. Always willing to go the extra mile Claude. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/10/2020 at 19:59, rad1919 said:

Igor threw his shirt to me in the away end at Filbert Street one cold Wednesday night. I remember my mum stuffing it up my jumper and we travelled back to Derby on the Roadrider in silence to avoid suspicion.

Our milkman at the time was the dad of one of the coaches and he took it away to get it signed for me. In hindsight I probably wouldn't have worn it every week as the writing has faded a bit but I used to feel about 10 feet tall walking to the ground in my Igor Stimac signed, match worn shirt.

What a player. What a legend.

Do you still have his match worn shirt?

On 29/10/2020 at 18:42, Taribo said:

I can't deny I'm left a little disappointed after reading that.  It was certainly a bit of an anti-climax.  I had high hopes that I'd go on to read that Igor himself performed a life saving operation, or at the very least, donated one of his kidneys!

I think getting a management team of JT and Igor together would build a defence like no other. The centre back from Liverpool shows promise. Perhaps Igor can teach him a few tricks. Rowett and Rafa to make sure all goes well. Suggest with Igor head of coaching team that we employ Lineker fellow to handle media?! Messi scenario....it may well be (if Man City allow it)?????

Seriously if 3 at back was a good idea who was the brains - Jim Smith (TBE)...Igor...or some popside tea lady who happened to see Stimac whilst doing keepyuppy in Pula?

Arab dynasty showing role of mansgercumdesigner not out of the question ? Can we have "the new shard!" added to Pride Park Stadium  ..... needs to be visible from EMA and Manchester airports.

Visible from Sir Brian Clough way and Nottingham Castle please?

HS2 rail link to be rerouted to the stadium itself.

Obviously calling it Igor-Link is an option especially as it mirrors the Igor invented novel defence system that he developed whilst giving our Arab owners a tour of Littleover. 

In return Igor has a free zero cost petrol card. At least until Boris gets his way and we all go Zero Carbon.

Archived