REMEMBERING REG: BUST CROWDFUNDING CAMPAIGN FOR REG HARRISON

loweman2

6 hours ago, loweman2 said:

Nice one boycie, not sure what the issue is, we can as a fan base raise £6,000 for a flag for wisdom to put in an empty stadium but can’t raise more than a measly £1k for a 97 year old man who gave his all for the club, went to every game still, won the FA cup and more importantly than all of that introduced grass roots junior football to Derby and set up a number of clubs that are still going strong to this day having helped tens of thousands of kids, many of whom had nothing else in their lives apart from playing football ! Come on surely we can do better !

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/remembering-reg-harrison-bust-campaign/backers#start

Hey Loweman, I say this just as a thought I had above: I wonder it's because the bust won't be housed at Pride Park where DCFC fans can see it but at Field Lane (which obviously far fewer people have a connection with). 

I'm not saying that's the case, nor that I think that, nor any comment on what's obviously a great project, but I did wonder.

Ok, will probably get shot down for this but you asked.  £8,000 for a bust seems like a heck of a lot of money to me.

There are a lot of asks out there at the moment, I am putting money into food banks and things that make a practical difference in people's lives.

Maybe if the money was being spent on some more coaching for kids rather than something that is just nice to look at then more people would be inclined to give. A plaque instead to remember Reg could still be installed and at a fraction of the cost.

11 hours ago, GlastoEls said:

Hey Loweman, I say this just as a thought I had above: I wonder it's because the bust won't be housed at Pride Park where DCFC fans can see it but at Field Lane (which obviously far fewer people have a connection with). 

I'm not saying that's the case, nor that I think that, nor any comment on what's obviously a great project, but I did wonder.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Ok, will probably get shot down for this but you asked.  £8,000 for a bust seems like a heck of a lot of money to me.

There are a lot of asks out there at the moment, I am putting money into food banks and things that make a practical difference in people's lives.

Maybe if the money was being spent on some more coaching for kids rather than something that is just nice to look at then more people would be inclined to give. A plaque instead to remember Reg could still be installed and at a fraction of the cost.

Nice one guys, nobody ever gets shot down for a bit of honest feedback and constructive criticism! There is obviously a reason that this isn’t working despite our best efforts, all of the above points have been considered, a stumbling block would appear to be location, it was our intention to honour regs work in the community and what he did for junior grass roots football at a local level, none more so than Field Lane FC that is a stones throw from his home where he was a central part of the community until his sad passing, yes he was the oldest surviving FA cup winner and yes he had a great career at Derby County, we wanted to try to do something slightly away from the club, Reg never played a Pride Park, if we were at the BBG then maybe that would have been better, also the Racecourse had been a consideration but there were so many hoops to jump through to even get the idea off the ground, we wanted to do something now not in three years time once permission was granted.

the other consideration is of course the cost, we approached the guy that did the Steve bloomer bust as we know of his work, he gave a much reduced price for what he would normally charge for a private commission and when we could get a personalised bust in regs memory and image it seemed a no brainier when compared to a plaque, it is approaching Christmas, people are on support schemes or have lost jobs, money is tight and there are probably more important choices to be made than donating to a crowd funder, especially one that is not a matter of life or death.

we shall see where we go, maybe if some local businesses wish to take part but this was for the people of Derby to fund initially and a way to thank Reg for his input into helping out so many youngsters.

as always thanks for the feedback and lets  hope that we can do it.

Edited by loweman2

28 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

Nice one guys, nobody ever gets shot down for a bit of honest feedback and constructive criticism! There is obviously a reason that this isn’t working despite our best efforts, all of the above points have been considered, a stumbling block would appear to be location, it was our intention to honour regs work in the community and what he did for junior grass roots football at a local level, none more so than Field Lane FC that is a stones throw from his home where he was a central part of the community until his sad passing, yes he was the oldest surviving FA cup winner and yes he had a great career at Derby County, we wanted to try to do something slightly away from the club, Reg never played a Pride Park, if we were at the BBG then maybe that would have been better, also the Racecourse had been a consideration but there were so many hoops to jump through to even get the idea off the ground, we wanted to do something now not in three years time once permission was granted.

the other consideration is of course the cost, we approached the guy that did the Steve bloomer bust as we know of his work, he gave a much reduced price for what he would normally charge for a private commission and when we could get a personalised bust in regs memory and image it seemed a no brainier when compared to a plaque, it is approaching Christmas, people are on support schemes or have lost jobs, money is tight and there are probably more important choices to be made than donating to a crowd funder, especially one that is not a matter of life or death.

we shall see where we go, maybe if some local businesses wish to take part but this was for the people of Derby to fund initially and a way to thank Reg for his input into helping out so many youngsters.

as always thanks for the feedback and lets  hope that we can do it.

Thanks. I did wonder if my initial post sounded rather harsh because I think it is great that you are doing something to honour his work. 

You may well find businesses could help. All the best. 

50% there now ! https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/remembering-reg-harrison-bust-campaign/backers#start

come on Derby we can do this, we have been hearing how it wasn’t just football clubs that Reg set up at grass roots level in Derby but also youth clubs, he gave kids somewhere safe to hang out, some away from an abusive home life, he gave them safety and security!
That’s the Reg that we are paying tribute to !

He was doing this in the 70s and 80s when nobody had any money, he gave his time, hours and hours per week, long before the idea of giving a tiny part of your huge salary to get somebody to make meals for kids got you an MBE, yes money is tight for us all at the moment but any small amount will help us build something for future to remember the past, for younger generations to learn what some people did free of charge with no money ! Just a love for kids and football !

88DAB6BA-350B-4C6E-8717-A0D9ACE18769.jpeg

40 minutes ago, GlastoEls said:

Frank really kicked it all off today didn’t he! Brilliant to see!

Yes really great wasn’t it. Nothing from or current team though despite the enormous coverage of the fact that it is in response to and to recognise Reg’s contributions to grass roots football, hopefully we will see some interest when the ones who started at grass roots make the connection.

5 minutes ago, David said:

Not taking credit for Franks donation! Just the ones after ?

Oh yes mate, that was deffo you thanks, can’t stop them now  ??
joking aside though, thanks for your support @Davidand the special rate you have given the Rams Heritage trust for keeping the link pinned at the top of the page ! Top man ??

Edited by loweman2

26 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

Yes really great wasn’t it. Nothing from or current team though despite the enormous coverage of the fact that it is in response to and to recognise Reg’s contributions to grass roots football...

Does seem odd the Club/players couldn't manage a donation between them, has it been seen/acknowledged?

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Does seem odd the Club/players couldn't manage a donation between them, has it been seen/acknowledged?

Long way to go yet so hopefully that will change between now and then but I’m sure the great people of Derby will see it through even if the club doesn’t. ???