New First Team Backroom Staff appointments

Heisenberg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Don’t we already have a first team fitness coach? Is he off? 

Discussing Nicholson’s appointment, Cocu said: “Shane’s appointment as First Team Fitness Coach will see him work with the rest of the physical department, which is led by Steve Haines and is responsible for the conditioning of our players during the week and on matchdays.

Sounds like he is going to work alongside Steve Haines, as opposed to replacing him.

Who needs more players when you can have even more coaches instead?? Can almost have one on one training at this point!

In all seriousness, I think the more the merrier on the coaching team. Justin Walker has done a fantastic job with the U18s and deserves this promotion. Suspect he’s looking forward to doing more coaching and less managing, probably a more enjoyable job! Him leaving the academy set up along with the other couple of coaches to leave in the past month leaves us a bit short at that level though, you’d expect to see some new academy coaches appointed soon.

Always thought it was a bit weird we didn’t have a designated fitness coach before as well. The fitness levels have obviously been identified as a weakness, as Van Der Weerden mentioned the other day, so hopefully this move can help sort that issue. Nicholson has done a similar role before so he should be well prepared.

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Always thought it was a bit weird we didn’t have a designated fitness coach before as well. The fitness levels have obviously been identified as a weakness, as Van Der Weerden mentioned the other day, so hopefully this move can help sort that issue. Nicholson has done a similar role before so he should be well prepared.

I guess Steve Haines has been doing the coaching in lieu of us actually having a coach, now he can focus more on the head of fitness stuff while Nicholson does the hands on.

Shane’s appointment feels like a bit of nepotism to me, when was he last a coach? Let alone a first team fitness coach?

I don’t mind him on RamsTV, but seems a little bit of a jump? I suppose it’s just telling players to run longer/faster though ?‍♂️ 

13 minutes ago, Taribo said:

Shane’s appointment feels like a bit of nepotism to me, when was he last a coach? Let alone a first team fitness coach?

I don’t mind him on RamsTV, but seems a little bit of a jump? I suppose it’s just telling players to run longer/faster though ?‍♂️ 

He was first team fitness coach at Chesterfield from 2007-2015.

Also think its safe to assume he's been about the lads a lot since becoming an analyst - he's often making comments on RamsTV about how different players act/work in the gym.

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

He was first team fitness coach at Chesterfield from 2007-2015.

Also think its safe to assume he's been about the lads a lot since becoming an analyst - he's often making comments on RamsTV about how different players act/work in the gym.

Was going to ask this, if he actually had any credentials as a fitness coach but it does sound like he does - beyond just knowing the club and squad.

I presume that will mean that Shinner is no longer going to be doing match day expert analysis. It's a shame because I really like his contribution. Excellent move for him however. Although it appears some don't know his coaching background, he has been heavily involved, especially with Chesterfield, for many years. In the RamsTV meets.... he comments on it quite a bit.

Is any other club in the Championship so skint that they have to get their in-house football pundit to moonlight as the first team fitness coach? What next - one of the players' family members as the chief scout? 

I jest, of course, we would never do that... ?

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Is any other club in the Championship so skint that they have to get their in-house football pundit to moonlight as the first team fitness coach? What next - one of the players' family members as the chief scout? 

I jest, of course, we would never do that... ?

How do you know we’re skint are you on the board. ?

4 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

I guess Steve Haines has been doing the coaching in lieu of us actually having a coach, now he can focus more on the head of fitness stuff while Nicholson does the hands on.

Yeah it’s definitely better to have someone specifically focusing on the job imo. More coaches, each with a more narrowed area of focus, will create better results.

Archived