Genuine question, when will going to the match be the same as we once knew it.

Amberram

31 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I said at the start i felt sitting outdoors in a stadium i probably had less chance of catching it than other places. I guess its all the bits that sit outside of this, fans packing into pubs on the way to or from matches, packed concourses enjoying their pre match pint and pie...

One in one out in the toilets might also be somewhat problematic.

I think it could be done, you would have to rely on responsible pub landlords, not like the fella in Stone who let his pub get packed and dozens of people catching Covid 19. Potentially restrict the numbers on concourses, have a properly controlled system for accessing toilets.

I think the bit sat watching the match is the easy part.

For me if we had 25 k in PP the majority of fans would be fine, its just that minority which we know exist that would want to get tanked up before the match and put others at risk because they cant be bothered to follow the rules themselves.

Fair point - and in London the underground that will be swamped before/after could be an issue.

I see a build up of public pressure though. As they start to relax rules and allow numbers to attend, and the fact I’m genuinely convinced there won’t be any issues from these, there will be a clamour based on public demand and commercial pressure, to increase numbers.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t think we’ll see things back to normal before the 2021/22 season. Hopefully by then there will be a working vaccine and the majority of people will have been inoculated. It’s quite clear that the biggest rise in infections at the moment is among young people and that crowded places spread the virus like wildfire so football grounds currently would be a breeding ground for COVID-19. On a personal level as a man in my early 50’s I simply cannot afford to take the risk of going to matches - I love the Rams but not enough to risk my health for them ☹️

Sith Happens
37 minutes ago, David said:

Any fan entering the ground must wear a nappy and bring their own alcohol. 

Nappy checks on arrival, anyone found not to be wearing one will have to lay down on a changing mat next to the turnstile and have one put on by the designated nappy steward. 

It could be a very rewarding time for those fans with peculiar fetishes.

300 fans will be allowed into the Crucible this weekend for the Snooker final. 

I don’t think we’re that far from limited attendances with no away fans, some areas maybe forced to play behind closed doors depending on the number of cases, but other areas such as North East Lincolnshire where I am the numbers are that low it shouldn’t really prolong lockdown measures much longer.

3 new cases in the last week, 223 total cases up till the 14th August with 35 deaths from a population of around 160k people. 

It just doesn’t make sense to watch football clubs such as Grimsby suffer financially when there are so few cases.

By the end of the year I would guess football will be played in front of fans again. I don’t buy this life will never be the same again thinking, we may see more people wearing masks out of personal choice and fear of catching viruses but we’re edging closer to normality.

Just now, David said:

I don’t think we’re that far from limited attendances with no away fans, some areas maybe forced to play behind closed doors depending on the number of cases, but other areas such as North East Lincolnshire where I am the numbers are that low it shouldn’t really prolong lockdown measures much longer.

3 new cases in the last week, 223 total cases up till the 14th August with 35 deaths from a population of around 160k people. 

It just doesn’t make sense to watch football clubs such as Grimsby suffer financially when there are so few cases.

By the end of the year I would guess football will be played in front of fans again. I don’t buy this life will never be the same again thinking, we may see more people wearing masks out of personal choice and fear of catching viruses but we’re edging closer to normality.

These fans are used to being alone and withdrawn from other people though?

Sith Happens

I wonder also how many fans, possibly older ones, wont bother anyway.

My Dad has pretty much said its probably done for him, the old guy who sits next to him who is the same age has said its made his mind up and wont bother again. Then that has a knock on effect for people like me, do i have a season ticket and go on my own which would just be weird, or do I watch with my Dad on Rams Tv, assuming that its continued to be shown on there (or we jump on a short flight to wherever its being shown).

My gut feeling is I will watch with my Dad, hopefully i will be able to persuade him to still go to selected games.

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, David said:

Yes but these are football fans

tenor.gif?itemid=7365657

And snooker fans

long-winded.jpg

8 minutes ago, Jayram said:

I don’t think we’ll see things back to normal before the 2021/22 season. Hopefully by then there will be a working vaccine and the majority of people will have been inoculated. It’s quite clear that the biggest rise in infections at the moment is among young people and that crowded places spread the virus like wildfire so football grounds currently would be a breeding ground for COVID-19. On a personal level as a man in my early 50’s I simply cannot afford to take the risk of going to matches - I love the Rams but not enough to risk my health for them ☹️

I guess, there will come a time when we’re all going to make the decision as to when we personally think the risk is low enough to take unless we chose to wait until there is a vaccine. There’s no right or wrong answer and hopefully none of us will judge and will respect each other’s decision.

For me, aged 60, if they allowed a much restricted crowd (even with timed arrivals etc. as per Millwall) from October then I would probably attend (I renewed my ST before sales were suspended). It feels like a much lower risk than something like public transport. Not that I use that now I’ve retired but my son in law still has to commute into Birmingham every day and I’ve no plans to isolate from my daughter and him.

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

Yes but these are football fans

tenor.gif?itemid=7365657

And snooker fans

long-winded.jpg

Those are cricket fans! 2x 17-16 frame semi finals in the snooker last night, never have that level of entertainment in cricket until it starts to rain and everyone runs off

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, David said:

Those are cricket fans! 2x 17-16 frame semi finals in the snooker last night, never have that level of entertainment in cricket until it starts to rain and everyone runs off

No these are cricket fans

img_9590.jpg?w=393&h=525

Start of next season maybe but that depends on so many variables and unknowns that it's impossible to say. For me and no doubt many others however, going to the football is so much more than the game. Meeting family and friends for a beer before and after is as important as the match itself but the days of drinking in a packed Smithfield, Brunswick etc seem a long way off also. 

Sith Happens
40 minutes ago, Boycie said:

That’s @Eddie and @sage at the county ground.  I think they caught the DuckworthLewis20 virus.

In fairness i dont think either of those are @Eddie, i just dont see that either of them have it in them to have upset anyone recently ?

3 hours ago, Andrew3000 said:

The British and Americans also use and house animals on an industrial scale which increases the chances of viruses crossing species. The antibiotic use in western agriculture is also likely to lead to a heath crisis. Its by no means just about hygiene or the Chinese. Don't get me started on pesticide use...point is we are failing to connect how the unchecked power in global  corporations means rampant exploitation of our earth and health.  Let's not blame one nation we are all mired in this.

We are going to see more and more viruses and we have already seen chronic health conditions rise in the past 30 years. Distancing, vaccines are wazzing in the wind I'm afraid.

The entire world farms on industrial scales - not just the Brits and Americans - it's how we support such large populations. Same with anti-biotics.

China is to blame for this - there is no getting around it. Not only are conditions in their wet markets appalling, but so are conditions in their hospitals. Basic hygiene like washing your hands is absent in much of China even in medical facilities. Many of their doctors still practice "eastern medicine" instead of actual medicine and it was the communists fault it spread to the rest of the world when they tried to cover it up

1 hour ago, Bearwood Ram said:

Start of next season maybe but that depends on so many variables and unknowns that it's impossible to say. For me and no doubt many others however, going to the football is so much more than the game. Meeting family and friends for a beer before and after is as important as the match itself but the days of drinking in a packed Smithfield, Brunswick etc seem a long way off also. 

A long way off? I've seen pubs packed out Fridays and Saturdays these last 2 weeks.

Archived