I would never...

Chester40

2 hours ago, Cisse said:

Moving the team to another city like they do in US. 

Yeah, that's the one thing that would definitely do it for me - if it were a permanent move with a name change i.e. Wimbledon to MK Dons. - it would no longer be Derby County so I'd feel no remorse. It'd be different if the club was in exile i.e. like Coventry having to play in Birmingham

Being bankrolled by a despotic foreign regime would involve a lot of soul searching too though. I think that would be a much more subjective decision based on the facts. I will be boycotting any interest in the 2022 World Cup for similar reasons.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Football isn't football any more, not as some of us that can remember the 60s and seventies era. I am not suggesting certain aspects of the game haven't improved for the better especially concerning stadiums, and the overall match day experience. However clubs were less corporate and had more individual identity in the past, generally financed and owned by local business providing a personal individual persona and character making each club individual.and easier to live or hate.

PrimarIly the major difference between clubs these days is the nationality of owners ,shirt colours and who has the biggest pot to pee in. The heritage and history of a club has no or little meaning to the majority of today's supporters who choose to support teams due to their current success rather than having any identity ,relationship or common ground with the club.

I have always considered Derby to be a football town,considering our geographical location and population attendances are quite remarkable.

Having experienced the highs of king kevin,Charlie George and many others to medeocraty and shear embarrassment    ( no names mentioned ). DCFC is in my blood ,apart of me, my life and history.No one can ever destroy my love ,loyalty and pride I have of the club irrespective of their actions .

Players owners,shirt colours, sponsors come and go but loyalty will always remain.

12 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

I can’t think of a single thing that would stop me from going to matches other than my own infirmity - I’ve watched us under Maxwell and the amigos, managed by Docherty and Billy, seen Mick Coop wear the shirt on more than one occasion and seen us go through a whole season in which our sole purpose was to improve the opposition’s goal difference. 
Fortunately I’ve also seen us win two league championships at a time when they meant something, European success at a time when it was novel and exciting, various other trophies and promotions, Charlie George and other genuinely world class, good and OK players and managers and at least two owners who have spent their personal fortunes doing their very best to make me and thousands of others happy.

Every organisation and every human is imperfect, has better days and worse days but nothing to stop me going to watch my team.

I really do hate to poo-poo such an admirable post, but would it be possible for you to define "European success"?

Sith Happens
12 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I really do hate to poo-poo such an admirable post, but would it be possible for you to define "European success"?

Perhaps we should ask Leeds fans?

3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Sure.

I don’t know how old you are @Mucker1884 so forgive me if I’m talking about stuff you were there for.

I don’t believe that to be ‘successful’ you/anyone has to win something - have a medal, a trophy or a cap.  Sometimes being ‘successful’ in life is just about surviving, getting through to tomorrow.  Most pro footballers don’t actually win anything in their entire career but, in my eyes, just being good enough to be paid to kick a ball around in front of a crowd is success in itself.

If I go back to our European days and nights I go back to very different football days.  Other European competitions and leagues weren’t routinely on TV so clubs and players were largely unknown except for a few, most players came from the countries of their clubs, the competitions themselves were harder to win than today - two leg, knock out competition rather than leagues set up to make sure that the ‘big’ clubs routinely get through -  and harder to get into - only the Champions of their leagues got into the European Cup.  So just to get into Europe represented ‘success’, never mind to get in and then win matches, which we did over several years, regularly.

And then we look at our club and town.  Without getting into the ‘are we a big club’ debate we are a provincial East Midland City. Nothing wrong with that, everything to be proud of given everything that people from our City have achieved over the years. But we’re not London or Manchester or Birmingham or Liverpool or Madrid with the resources and attractions those cities generated then and generate now.  But for a few years at least we genuinely competed, domestically and in Europe, and one year got within a bribed referee’s bank balance of a European final.  That’s success for me.  And to show how difficult it was we haven’t really got close since. Most professional clubs have never got there.

i would never laugh at our rivals down the A52 after being nailed on in the Play Offs for most of the season then imploding in the last few games and missing out on goal difference , no i would never laugh at that , oh go on then maybe just a little chuckle

3 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

Sure.

I don’t know how old you are @Mucker1884 so forgive me if I’m talking about stuff you were there for.

I don’t believe that to be ‘successful’ you/anyone has to win something - have a medal, a trophy or a cap.  Sometimes being ‘successful’ in life is just about surviving, getting through to tomorrow.  Most pro footballers don’t actually win anything in their entire career but, in my eyes, just being good enough to be paid to kick a ball around in front of a crowd is success in itself.

If I go back to our European days and nights I go back to very different football days.  Other European competitions and leagues weren’t routinely on TV so clubs and players were largely unknown except for a few, most players came from the countries of their clubs, the competitions themselves were harder to win than today - two leg, knock out competition rather than leagues set up to make sure that the ‘big’ clubs routinely get through -  and harder to get into - only the Champions of their leagues got into the European Cup.  So just to get into Europe represented ‘success’, never mind to get in and then win matches, which we did over several years, regularly.

And then we look at our club and town.  Without getting into the ‘are we a big club’ debate we are a provincial East Midland City. Nothing wrong with that, everything to be proud of given everything that people from our City have achieved over the years. But we’re not London or Manchester or Birmingham or Liverpool or Madrid with the resources and attractions those cities generated then and generate now.  But for a few years at least we genuinely competed, domestically and in Europe, and one year got within a bribed referee’s bank balance of a European final.  That’s success for me.  And to show how difficult it was we haven’t really got close since. Most professional clubs have never got there.

Well, I did ask!     LOL!

I don't think I would have personally used the phrase "European success" myself, as we didn't win anything in Europe, and I'd hate to give even the tiniest opportunity for our 6 fingered neighbours to have a dig.

But then I can't truly disagree with your thinking behind such a statement either.  We did do well... very well indeed... for a provincial East Midlands town (as we were then).
You make your point(s) well, and I for one don't mean to diminish your cherished memories, nor indeed your valuation of them.

I guess we merely have a different view on the phrase used, but it's such a tiny difference, I seriously don't think either of us should worry about it!  ?

...For the record, I have very little literal recollection (if any), of our escapades in The European Cup, but I was there for both Finn Harps & AEK Athens a few seasons later (and was fortunate enough to see us lift the First Div. Trophy at the end of my very first game). 

I'm pretty certain the AEK game resulted in my first Rams related tears!  I can only assume up until that point, I had us down to being invincible!

I agree with name and shirt colour, I'll add the crest/badge to that. I love our ram, I'd be so disappointed if anyone ever tried to change it.

I like that we can use the full ram or just the head and both look just as good and instantly recognisable. I've never been a huge fan of the round one like on that Leeds fans t-shirt in the post above though, or when it had the gold ribbon below it, always thought the ribbon looked out of place, a bit of an afterthought.

The ram (or head) on its own is best IMO. With the eye as well! ?

22 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Those were the days when you could go to a home game to watch the Champions of England, then get half their autographs at the dog track the same evening. Dave Mackay was a regular.

Happy days, (sorry to hijack the thread).

I do miss Derby Dogs (as well as the other things you mention)

Archived