Goalkeeper problem

oldtimeram

Let’s not forget a lot were clamouring for Roos to be dropped durung the season and  that was not because of Wembley where he cost us  ...we don’t want to go through another season worrying about the goalkeepers position get someone decent in who’s reliable and consistent that will give our defence more stability 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Spanish said:

if he is a prospect, why risk damaging his confidence by throwing him in?

Why 'throwing him in'? 

Sure that's not how he would see it. 

'The two older keepers we have had aren't the long term solution, we think you are the future so you are playing'. 

Surely that's what footballers want? Not like a winger who can be given a few minutes run-out anyway. Will only know when he plays. Start him in the pre-season friendlies and see how he does. 

Hamer is a definite no. Never convinced he was going to be good enough from what I recall seeing him before but he surpassed my negative predictions. 

Roos is more of an enigma, capable on his day but definitely a mistake in him and frustratingly poor at commanding his box. Would prefer we got an alternative but would give him a (small) chance if we can't get a replacement and Ravas isn't ready for the step up (in which case he needs to go out on loan).

Just now, Chester40 said:

Why 'throwing him in'? 

Sure that's not how he would see it. 

'The two older keepers we have had aren't the long term solution, we think you are the future so you are playing'. 

Surely that's what footballers want? Not like a winger who can be given a few minutes run-out anyway. Will only know when he plays. Start him in the pre-season friendlies and see how he does. 

Hamer is a definite no. Never convinced he was going to be good enough from what I recall seeding him before but he surpassed my negative predictions. 

Roos is more of an enigma, capable on his day but definitely a mistake in him and frustratingly poor at commanding his box. Would prefer we got an alternative but would give him a (small) chance if we can't get a replacement and Ravas isn't ready for the step up (in which case he needs to go out on loan).

the coaching staff will know when he is ready, if they dont think so yet so be it.  If they think a loan spell where errors can be less criticised then that will be the way we go.  Just thinking throwing him in to sink or swim is not a good idea

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Well, of course we are. @Ghost of Clough has been pointing this out all season but everyone just keeps shooting him down with comments like the defence don't trust him (because of course they've interviewed them all personally!)

...but in fairness, the manager didn’t pick him either.

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

...but in fairness, the manager didn’t pick him either.

I know, but at the time he was getting a very rough reception from our crowd.

If Roos has got an issue, it is that he let the crowd pressure get to him. Maybe that will never change and will be his Achilles heel.

I personally think we could assist by not getting on at our own players but it seems to be a modern day approach that we have a right to destroy the confidence of any young man who puts on a club shirt on our behalf.

13 minutes ago, angieram said:

If Roos has got an issue, it is that he let the crowd pressure get to him. Maybe that will never change and will be his Achilles heel.

I personally think we could assist by not getting on at our own players but it seems to be a modern day approach that we have a right to destroy the confidence of any young man who puts on a club shirt on our behalf.

Just a couple weeks ago one poster said "Roos is the worst keeper I have seen [at Derby]". Earlier in the season another poster seriously claimed he'd be a better option in goal than Roos - he probably wasn't the only one either.

@David summed it up perfectly way back in October:

On 28/10/2019 at 07:51, David said:

Roos made a mistake at Wembley, Keogh will tell you how hard it is to move on from that.

Any further mistakes will not be tolerated.

17 minutes ago, angieram said:

This was the game that led to him being dropped. 

4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

1. Crosses coming in far too easily. What was Fozzy doing?

2. Roos needed to be stronger, but defence should have challenged better in the air as well.

3. Bad clearance from Roos, but even worse control from Bielik on the halfway line. Nothing he could do with the shot. Goal could have been prevented if Bielik tried to get back, as our 3 defending players (Davies, Fozzy and himself) should have been enough to deal with their 3 attackers.

18 hours ago, S8TY said:

Let’s not forget a lot were clamouring for Roos to be dropped durung the season and  that was not because of Wembley where he cost us  ...we don’t want to go through another season worrying about the goalkeepers position get someone decent in who’s reliable and consistent that will give our defence more stability 

...............or install more stability in the defence and we might see Roos being more confident about when to come out for crosses and when to stay on his line.

18 hours ago, S8TY said:

He’s had more than one big mistake I cannot beleive after a couple of decent games which he played really well coming in for the woeful Hamer that we are considering Roos as our number 1 he’s a number 2 at best he’s had plenty of chances time to move on....if we are allowed 

How many big mistakes ? There’s literally people screaming at him to catch a cross in pouring rain with a load of players in a crowd, instead of punching. Hope you’re not one of them! 
I think some Derby fans are so fickle, sarcastically applauding Roos catching a ball etc. He’s made loads of good saves for us and he may have made some mistakes but that’s not a reason for people to constantly moan and shout abuse at our own player. 

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Poor punch and poor clearance leading directly to 2 of Fulhams goals.

I've read some of the comments quoted about Roos being the worst keeper at Derby the poster can remember, there will always be an extreme of views on either end of the spectrum but if you discard the most polarised opinions then the truth invariably lies somewhere inbetween which will be the same in Roos' case.

Worst keeper in living memory, absolutely not, adequate enough for a team with promotion ambitions - answer would be a resounding no.

34 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Worst keeper in living memory, absolutely not, adequate enough for a team with promotion ambitions - answer would be a resounding no.

And that's somewhere in the middle? 

You talk as if you can only get promoted with a world class goalkeeper, which would suggest what's in front of him might be a bit of a problem anyway.

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

And that's somewhere in the middle? 

You talk as if you can only get promoted with a world class goalkeeper, which would suggest what's in front of him might be a bit of a problem anyway.

I used the work adequate to try and place some balance in the argument currently being propogated. 

Deliberately avoided any descriptors from either extreme which you have done and then tagged it into my post as though I quoted this. 

I guess Roos didn't play an important part in us reaching the 2019 playoff final then ?‍♂️

• Both CBs had recently rushed back from injury.
  • 3rd choice LB (Malone suspended, Fozzy injured)
  • Waghorn rushed back from injury
  • Marriott struggling with injuries
  • Bennett couldn't last a full 90
  • Holmes and Nugent also injured

Maybe if one or more of those weren't the case Roos would have been good enough? 

i`m really pro carson, but roos should have done better than he did. i understand that the team went through "testing times" last season.

i just think we lacked that little bit of class. i almost doubted rooney but am happily disappointed. hes a class act. 

i just wouldnt mind a decent season, no drama, no injuries, no videos in media, no car crashes, no bulls hit. to think, what we could have achieved. 

i think roos took alot of stick. i think roos having a bad day is better than the other carp going on. 

Why did Hamer get picked instead and keep getting picked until he made a mistake. Could it be that Cocu doesn't rate Roos. The stats be damned he's an average keeper. The importance of a goalkeeper to a team is quite obvious, and when even De Gea gets stick it should be no surprise Roos and Hamer do too. 

Archived