Goalkeeper problem

oldtimeram

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would take Carson back as number 1 

I think Roos has some definate ability and is not a million miles away from being better 

Not seen Ravas but sounds promising

Hamer worst of the lot - send him back

What happened to Mitchell he seemed as though he had something going on..

Hart available on a free - 

Przemyslaw Tyton seems like a beast and worked with Cocu before

What Crisis?

23 minutes ago, europia said:

Assuming Carson isn't coming back, we don't have a quality GK at pride park. Definitely need to sign new keeper!

Remember blow football? You had a straw and blew the ball towards your opponent's goal.  A cardboard keeper hung from the bar.

One of those would be a better option to what we have right now.

I heard after a poor performance (one of many) Roos threw himself in front of a bus and it went under him. I also saw him put his head in his hands and he dropped it. ?

On 28/07/2020 at 10:46, RoyMac5 said:

The importance of a goalkeeper to a team is quite obvious, and when even De Gea gets stick it should be no surprise Roos and Hamer do too. 

I don't disagree that a having a really good keeper is a superb foundation on which to build a team, but I'm not convinced it's absolutely mandatory. I'm also far from convinced that our keepers make more or worse mistakes than just about any other keeper. 

Truth is, a lot of keepers make a lot of mistakes. Even in the Prem. Be great if we could just pluck a Poom out of nowhere but in the absence of that kind of signing, I'd be trying to replace Chris Martin and bring in a winger with proper wheels first before looking at keepers. Maybe an attacking MF too ?

Raya from Brentford anyone?

Goalkeepers make mistakes - even in playoff finals. They tend to be costly.

Forwards miss chances that then fail to win games but that's quickly forgotten.

Roos is not as bad as folks make out. He's at least as good as most championship players. But, like Keogh, he will always be reminded of the mistake in the big game.

(BTW is this the same Brentford team that forever blow us away?)

What we’ve had all season is doubts about both Roos and Hamer.....and rightly so ....let’s go into next season with a keeper that is unquestionably number 1 and consistently good enough  ....that is neither Roos or Hamer 

2 minutes ago, S8TY said:

What we’ve had all season is doubts about both Roos and Hamer.....and rightly so ....let’s go into next season with a keeper that is unquestionably number 1 and consistently good enough  ....that is neither Roos or Hamer 

Yeah - David de Gea - he never drops any clangers. Or maybe Lloris, Kepa or Pickford

2 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Raya from Brentford anyone?

Goalkeepers make mistakes - even in playoff finals. They tend to be costly.

Forwards miss chances that then fail to win games but that's quickly forgotten.

Roos is not as bad as folks make out. He's at least as good as most championship players. But, like Keogh, he will always be reminded of the mistake in the big game.

(BTW is this the same Brentford team that forever blow us away?)

Yes all goalkeepers make mistakes but the difference is Roos struggles with at least 50% of all decent crosses that go in the box. A good goalkeeper makes mistakes but they are outweighed by good saves. Roos makes good saves but they're vastly outweighed by errors. In the semi-final Raya potentially prevented a Swansea goal then sent Brentford on an attack to which they scored, all in one moment. When has Roos ever done anything like that? 

27 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

Yes all goalkeepers make mistakes but the difference is Roos struggles with at least 50% of all decent crosses that go in the box. A good goalkeeper makes mistakes but they are outweighed by good saves. Roos makes good saves but they're vastly outweighed by errors. In the semi-final Raya potentially prevented a Swansea goal then sent Brentford on an attack to which they scored, all in one moment. When has Roos ever done anything like that? 

Is it 82.6% of statistics are plucked out of thin air just to try and prove a point?

Define "decent" as in "decent crosses". Is it those that just evade the goalkeeper and are really hard to defend against?

And you also think our goalkeeper should be weighing in with "assists"? Well even most of Roos's critics agree that he's better at passing than either Hamer or Carson.

Raya  is over-rated. I’m not convinced that he is an improvement on Bentley. He seems a bit erratic to me.

As for his error at Wembley, any Derby keeper would be getting slaughtered for that, rightly or wrongly.

anyway....that’s their problem.

I think there is a good chance that carson will be back for us.
In order to bring someone in, I assume carson would have to go first, and there simply may not be time.

if he does go, my prediction would be Christian Walton.

we could go from being chelsea reserves to Brighton reserves 

2 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Yeah - David de Gea - he never drops any clangers. Or maybe Lloris, Kepa or Pickford

So you think Roos or Hamer are good enough ? You’re point is even top keepers make ricks but at some stage they’ve been top keepers Roos or Hamer haven’t and will never be my point is most fans don’t think Roos or Hamer are good enough ....we don’t need constant debate as to whether they’re good enough  we need stability and at least we had that with Carson for a few seasons mistakes or not ! 

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

Is it 82.6% of statistics are plucked out of thin air just to try and prove a point?

Define "decent" as in "decent crosses". Is it those that just evade the goalkeeper and are really hard to defend against?

And you also think our goalkeeper should be weighing in with "assists"? Well even most of Roos's critics agree that he's better at passing than either Hamer or Carson.

If Roos was that good why was he and Hamer getting dropped at times ? If anyone seriously thinks Roos is as good as we can get then don’t expect promotion every keeper makes mistakes but with both of ours this season you’re never quite sure if they’re going to save it or catch it or make a complete duck up and it’s cost us goals and points I never got that feeling with Carson even though he still made errors ...

Raya cost Brentford and is widely touted as great keeper. To reflect that, this one made me smile:

"You can leave Blackburn Rovers, but the Blackburn Rovers will never truly leave you… #Raya"

Just one more example how British football culture is based on negativity, shaming and blaming.  We'll have goalkeeper or some other problem forever.

Archived