Goalkeeper problem

oldtimeram

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

Maybe we are too critical
roos has the second best rating of keepers who have played at least 10 games.

14F2FDC5-B483-4E08-B9D0-A310BE43C40E.thumb.jpeg.545c3fe0f665a3983dd98b669b889fc8.jpeg

I've just said this in the Phillips thread - the only thing hindering Roos here is that he has a tendency to punch rather than catch. Eric Steele has hung Ed Dawes out to dry on occasion where Ed has berated Roos for punching and Eric, with his experience, has explained why he did it. Ed is like most Derby fans, Eric is arguably the top goalkeeping coach this country has seen in the last 20 years. 

Phillips also has a tendency to punch - I really think he would suffer the same fate. In order to appease the fans it would have to be someone who will try and catch the ball more often than not.

Roos, if he were to leave this summer, would go with a similar goals conceded and clean sheet record to what Carson had in his time with Derby. I wouldn't say that was bad. In terms of a Championship club looking for value in signing a goalkeeper then I would say Roos would be a great option. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, angieram said:

And that's somewhere in the middle? 

You talk as if you can only get promoted with a world class goalkeeper, which would suggest what's in front of him might be a bit of a problem anyway.

I would absolutely agree with this Angie. Our defensive players have not looked like a unit all season. They mill around at 6's and 7's seemingly individually and collectively unsure whether to harry, tackle or block. The defensive lines aren't straight, people make very inconsistent decisions. I literally have no idea from watching clips like the Fulham one what on earth our defence is being trained to do.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I guess Roos didn't play an important part in us reaching the 2019 playoff final then ?‍♂️

• Both CBs had recently rushed back from injury.
  • 3rd choice LB (Malone suspended, Fozzy injured)
  • Waghorn rushed back from injury
  • Marriott struggling with injuries
  • Bennett couldn't last a full 90
  • Holmes and Nugent also injured

Maybe if one or more of those weren't the case Roos would have been good enough? 

Think Roos made a load of good saves in that Bristol match we won 2-0. Great away day last season!

3 hours ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

How many big mistakes ? There’s literally people screaming at him to catch a cross in pouring rain with a load of players in a crowd, instead of punching. Hope you’re not one of them! 
I think some Derby fans are so fickle, sarcastically applauding Roos catching a ball etc. He’s made loads of good saves for us and he may have made some mistakes but that’s not a reason for people to constantly moan and shout abuse at our own player. 

I’ve never said or condoned  any ironic cheers I have never done that myself  but fact is he made lots of errors not just Wembley ...I wasn’t alone or why was he dropped ...he’s not the answer we need better but he is a good number 2 just not consistent enough or commanding enough to be our number1 

1 hour ago, DCFC27 said:

Cardiff’s second keeper is pretty good Etheridge, always been impressed by him, if he played in a warnock team he clearly needed to claim a cross. 
Bettonelli at Fulham would be a good signing too

Did Cardiff, under Warnock, cross into their own box?

And we think passing across the back is risky.

On 28/07/2020 at 10:51, Ambitious said:

I've just said this in the Phillips thread - the only thing hindering Roos here is that he has a tendency to punch rather than catch. Eric Steele has hung Ed Dawes out to dry on occasion where Ed has berated Roos for punching and Eric, with his experience, has explained why he did it. Ed is like most Derby fans, Eric is arguably the top goalkeeping coach this country has seen in the last 20 years. 

Phillips also has a tendency to punch - I really think he would suffer the same fate. In order to appease the fans it would have to be someone who will try and catch the ball more often than not.

Roos, if he were to leave this summer, would go with a similar goals conceded and clean sheet record to what Carson had in his time with Derby. I wouldn't say that was bad. In terms of a Championship club looking for value in signing a goalkeeper then I would say Roos would be a great option. 

My issue with Roos is that I don’t mind the punching, it’s the done thing for most modern goalkeepers and as you say if Steele says it’s the right choice then I’d trust him over any other Derby fan. My issue is that when he punches it his wrists turn into jelly and the desired effect isn’t achieved. 

If he spends all summer with those grip things you squeeze to build your forearms up and spends time watching top top keepers punching the ball and he gets better at getting it out of the danger zone then I’m fine with punching it. 

13 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

My issue with Roos is that I don’t mind the punching, it’s the done thing for most modern goalkeepers and as you say if Steele says it’s the right choice then I’d trust him over any other Derby fan. My issue is that when he punches it his wrists turn into jelly and the desired effect isn’t achieved. 

If he spends all summer with those grip things you squeeze to build your forearms up and spends time watching top top keepers punching the ball and he gets better at getting it out of the danger zone then I’m fine with punching it. 

My impression is that he doesn't want to risk his pretty boy looks. 

He is therefore extending his arms to punch whilst withdrawing his head. 

It's virtually impossible to get any power into a punch if your neck is bent back. 

He just needs to get a bit braver. 

Archived