Goalkeeper problem

oldtimeram

5 hours ago, RamNut said:

Raya  is over-rated. I’m not convinced that he is an improvement on Bentley. He seems a bit erratic to me.

As for his error at Wembley, any Derby keeper would be getting slaughtered for that, rightly or wrongly.

anyway....that’s their problem.

I think there is a good chance that carson will be back for us.
In order to bring someone in, I assume carson would have to go first, and there simply may not be time.

if he does go, my prediction would be Christian Walton.

we could go from being chelsea reserves to Brighton reserves 

I think Raya is a good keeper who made an error. An error by the way that many keepers could have made. 

He made it because unlike our keepers he was confident of claiming the cross. 

Other keepers stay on their lines and concede a host of headed goals over the season. 

Raya was a big part of Brentford's successful season. We would have been in the play-offs with him in goal. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, DCFClks said:

Yes all goalkeepers make mistakes but the difference is Roos struggles with at least 50% of all decent crosses that go in the box. A good goalkeeper makes mistakes but they are outweighed by good saves. Roos makes good saves but they're vastly outweighed by errors. In the semi-final Raya potentially prevented a Swansea goal then sent Brentford on an attack to which they scored, all in one moment. When has Roos ever done anything like that? 

He's so scared of crosses he should change his name to Dracula ?

10 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I think Raya is a good keeper who made an error. An error by the way that many keepers could have made. 

He made it because unlike our keepers he was confident of claiming the cross. 

Other keepers stay on their lines and concede a host of headed goals over the season. 

Raya was a big part of Brentford's successful season. We would have been in the play-offs with him in goal. 

I can’t remember if it was brentford at home this season, or Blackburn at home last season, but there was one game I saw where I noticed his tendency to over-react and over exaggerate dives or saves. A bit like Kelle roos did when he first got in the team. But it was only one game. Obviously we only see opposition players once every now and then. Joe Bryan’s description was interesting though. He said the keeper had taken up “a ridiculous position”. 

goalkeeping is a very unforgiving position.

two of my favourite keepers were Les Green and Colin Boulton.
Les had his reputation trashed after this game which finished his Derby career. Three goals conceded from corners......

then Colin Boulton came in.

he was a fantastic keeper too, but I recently discovered footage of an away cup game at Orient. I was surprised to discover that Boulton had a shocker, and this clip convinced me that when we were champions in 1975 we should have gone out and signed Shilton. (Even though Colin was normally very good). Imagine that.....McFarland, Todd and Shilton, with Nish (at right back if it had been up to me) and maybe John robson still at left back. That would have been probably the best defence of all time. 

The best Goalkeepers are the ones that make the fewest mistakes, another overlooked factor is how a keeper commands his half, who is teh better keeper the one who has to make a full length stop or the one who sees the winger cutting in and shouts his full-back over to cover it? There is so much more than just stopping the shots.

Personally I think there is a good goalkeeper in Roos, but he's just too inconsistent.

I'd look at the likes of Woodman on loan from Newcastle, Blackman from Chelsea (although injured) Alex Palmer from WBA and Macey from Arsenal all of whom have had good Champ or Lge 1 loan spells. Also see that Kieran O'Hara, loan at Burton last season, has been released by Man Utd for a long shot.

Is Pickford now a serious problem? England goalkeeper Jordan Pickford, undisputed number one since his £30m move from Sunderland three seasons ago, had a dreadful campaign highlighted by a series of high-profile blunders. In the past three seasons, he is top of the list for mistakes by Premier League keepers that have led to goals with 10, alongside Asmir Begovic...

Ratcliffe said: "Have a look at his competition. It's not very good. "The people he trains with are not making him better. He should be improving. He needs more pressure on him.

"He has had Maarten Stekelenburg, Jonas Lossl and young Joao Virginia as his competition. I wouldn't want any of those reserve goalkeepers playing on a regular basis for Everton. It might sound harsh but standards must be high."

Talking at a different level but applies to Derby.

14 hours ago, RamNut said:

Les had his reputation trashed after this game which finished his Derby career. Three goals conceded from corners......

he was a fantastic keeper too, but I recently discovered footage of an away cup game at Orient. I was surprised to discover that Boulton had a shocker, and this clip convinced me that when we were champions in 1975 we should have gone out and signed Shilton. (Even though Colin was normally very good). Imagine that.....McFarland, Todd and Shilton, with Nish (at right back if it had been up to me) and maybe John robson still at left back. That would have been probably the best defence of all time. 

what an equaliser from The Mighty Colin Todd.....not many times he scored a brace. Remember that day....a very shaky Derby performance..........

I forgot just how short Green and Boulton were! These days, if you are not 6' 5" and can't throw the ball into the opposition's half you'd never get past Academy level.

I think Paul Cooper at Ipswich was another 'titch' keeper from the era of my youth. He had a great record of saving penalties though if I remember correctly.

15 hours ago, RamNut said:

I was at that game but don't really remember it well.  

Archived