Goalkeeper problem

oldtimeram

If the rumours of a transfer embargo for next season has some substance, this leaves us with a goalkeeping dilemma.

As our two main keepers (one a loanee anyway) are an absolute liability, is Ravas ready for the step up, if Carson does not come back?

He's got to be worth giving a go, surely, as he can't be any worse than Roos or Hamer. 

What's he like, as I've never seen him play?

Thoughts?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, oldtimeram said:

The rumour may be not true, but it got me thinking what the heck we would do next season if an embargo is imposed?

Roos and/or Hamer I reckon could cost us at least 12 points next season if they play as they have done

Exactly what we did this year. We'd just have to get by. 

1 minute ago, oldtimeram said:

The rumour may be not true, but it got me thinking what the heck we would do next season if an embargo is imposed?

Roos and/or Hamer I reckon could cost us at least 12 points next season if they play as they have done

Was there also mention of a 'soft embargo', which amounts (I think) to getting EFL ok and/or one in/one out?

10 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

The soft embargo would be preferable.

To go back to my original question, has anyone seen Ravas play and is he up to the standard required yet?

Ravas has looked solid for the U23's... but (being an ex-GK myself), if he's a contender for the number 1 shirt, it's more a question of putting him in and seeing how he deals with it than anything else. A lot of "being a GK" nowadays is about how confident you are in your own ability... and that'll only come with experience.

I lost confidence quite rapidly after a couple of mistakes... which led to more mistakes... which meant I didn't end up playing at a high level.

Ravas looks to be one of those who is closest to breaking through to the first team. Think Cocu said recently that he rates him. I doubt that he becomes first choice next season mind, no matter what happens - I suspect it’s more likely he’s loaned out to league one level for a year first.

If the transfer embargo is anything like Chelsea’s, then we may be able to sign Hamer permanently since he was here on loan last season. As much as I don’t rate him, that may end up being our only choice. We’d then have Roos as first choice with Hamer as cover, and possibly keep Ravas as third choice in that scenario. Not really a good enough set of options, but that’s what we’d be left with.

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Is an embargo enforceable if we ain't done owt wrong? 

we should just take the QPR approach anyway if we do receive any punishment and shrug our shoulders and say no try again 

1 hour ago, oldtimeram said:

Roos has also made a lot of good saves and has done well, some fans are blinkered and can't see past one big mistake. Hamer obviously had his confidence knocked too but agree he's not the solution. 

Archived