Max Bird

thelovebelow

Deserves a new thread if the others get one! 

Doesn't look at out place in the senior team. Always finds a pass and quietly goes about his business. 

Picked up the captains armband from Rooney. That's no accident. I think he'll carry on developing and made us absorb the loss of Bielik. Could be a top player in the years to come. 

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Said this in another thread but worth elaborating on again...

Max had a good debut (I believe) against Barnsley in the cup a few years ago and has come on slowly since then. We’ve long heard about how highly he is rated in the academy, but even early this season I was seriously questioning him. He was awful in the game against Scunthorpe and Cocu brought him off at half time. I had no clue how he would manage to come back from that point. 

Then again, I don’t know Max. He’s a resilient guy who’s gone through a lot professionally and personally in the past year or two and has come out of it as a guaranteed name on the team sheet. He’s a credit to himself, his family and the club. He will captain this club. 

He’s already a brilliant ‘mopper-upper’, always willing to receive balls in that pivotal CDM role and accurately pass it on safely. He is clearly trusted by his teammates to keep possession. I believe next season we’ll see a more adventurous and attacking Bird as he grows in confidence and attempts more of those Thornesque slide-rule  defence-splitting balls. 

I remember a few years ago when a Chelsea coach said that Max Bird was the best player between the two sides. I know it doesn't seem like much, but Mason Mount lined up against him for Chelsea. He then came into the team and wasn't like a duck to water. I believe the Villa game last season really damaged opinions of him. He was thrown against the Wolves, lined up against the best midfield in the league, certainly in attacking talent, partnered with George Evans(?) to try and stop them running us over. 

This season, he was initially used more intelligently and now he's grown enough in confidence to really stand up against anyone in this league. I feel he has a lot of growing to do, still, as he needs to improve defensively but I'm sure that will come with time. 

Wonder how much of his 'safety first' passing is down to lack of movement ahead of him.

Either way, he's a constant outlet for the defence. 

The fact that pretty much everyone else is subbed/rotated to some degree apart from him tells you a lot about what Cocu thinks of him

I think he’s already one of the best CDM’s in the division to be honest. The way he retains possession is absolutely fantastic, he’s always a reliable option to give the ball to and he rarely ever gives it away. If he can work over the summer at becoming stronger in the tackle, he will very quickly become the complete defensive mid. Future captain of Derby 100%.

9 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I think he’s already one of the best CDM’s in the division to be honest. The way he retains possession is absolutely fantastic, he’s always a reliable option to give the ball to and he rarely ever gives it away. If he can work over the summer at becoming stronger in the tackle, he will very quickly become the complete defensive mid. Future captain of Derby 100%.

The amount of times he's given the ball in really tight difficult situations were if he gets it wrong it'll be really bad and then turns away to find someone in space is truly impressive.

10 hours ago, Duracell said:

Wonder how much of his 'safety first' passing is down to lack of movement ahead of him.

Either way, he's a constant outlet for the defence. 

The fact that pretty much everyone else is subbed/rotated to some degree apart from him tells you a lot about what Cocu thinks of him

I think it's a huge part of it. 

Bird is a bit like Hughes in that they are going to look to offload to a player in space so the team keeps the ball effectively and possession keeps flowing. He's unlikely to force it if it's not on.

11 hours ago, Srg said:

Said this in another thread but worth elaborating on again...

Max had a good debut (I believe) against Barnsley in the cup a few years ago and has come on slowly since then. We’ve long heard about how highly he is rated in the academy, but even early this season I was seriously questioning him. He was awful in the game against Scunthorpe and Cocu brought him off at half time. I had no clue how he would manage to come back from that point. 

Then again, I don’t know Max. He’s a resilient guy who’s gone through a lot professionally and personally in the past year or two and has come out of it as a guaranteed name on the team sheet. He’s a credit to himself, his family and the club. He will captain this club. 

Really starting to think he's being groomed into that role after last night.

He got the armband over a lot of senior players last night when Rooney went off.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

A very good first season.

Needs to shake off the negativity that crept into his game at the end of the season.

Spot on. He has gone backwards a little bit.

there is no long term future in becoming another huddlestone or butterfield. But if he can improve his range of passing, and occasionally break forward, then that will be a real sign of progress. 

Archived