The future is bright

Day

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Bazal77 said:

Ok, so where else in the squad are we going to the money to sign a goalkeeper, another defender, two wingers and a striker from??

we are going to have to sell some players, I knew my opinion on bogle would be a controversial one but who else would you sell? Bogle as a defender is a liability, we have been so poor defending crosses for two seasons now, it’s not all his fault I’m aware of that but it hasn’t improved 

Not saying we wouldn’t sell. Someone offered £10m plus I would absolutely sell, but not for less than that because that’s the going rate. Look at the Bristol City fullback who Bournemouth bought last summer, Lloyd Kelly, English just the same but slightly older and with worse stats across the board than Bogle and he was £12m. 

That said, not sure you need a lot of money. Just need to be a bit more shrewd and creative than we have. Couple of loans (players you could never afford with that extra quality, take Grady Diangana for example), couple of quality free signings (Teemu Pukki was free, as an example of what you can find) and a few “smaller” fees and you’re there. Don’t want to sign any bed blockers who stop our youth coming through and are no better anyway. 

12 minutes ago, Srg said:

Not saying we wouldn’t sell. Someone offered £10m plus I would absolutely sell, but not for less than that because that’s the going rate. Look at the Bristol City fullback who Bournemouth bought last summer, Lloyd Kelly, English just the same but slightly older and with worse stats across the board than Bogle and he was £12m. 

That said, not sure you need a lot of money. Just need to be a bit more shrewd and creative than we have. Couple of loans (players you could never afford with that extra quality, take Grady Diangana for example), couple of quality free signings (Teemu Pukki was free, as an example of what you can find) and a few “smaller” fees and you’re there. Don’t want to sign any bed blockers who stop our youth coming through and are no better anyway. 

Couldn’t agree more with being shrewd in the market. I am hopeful that cocu has some exciting targets. But I still think we’ll need money and my first choice would be bogle, because of his attacking ability, age being English, we could get a good price. 

1 hour ago, Bazal77 said:

Il probably get poo for this, but bogle is not good enough. I hope we cash in on him and get a defender in who can defend. 

I actually thought bogle defended really well today, Lowe too 

first goal, Lowe covered the run mostly, he was just unlucky it bounced to Watkins and the third goal was well defended, they pushed him away from the goal, it was just an unbelievable strike (could Hamer have done better??)

Don’t think people appreciate how big of a deal the youngsters are.

Even if we just had Bird and Sibley, that’s a top class spine of the team...on academy graduate wages. In our financial situation, that’s so valuable.

We could easily just build around those two but add

Bogle and Lowe: attacking full backs suited for the modern game

Knight: versatile and energetic midfielder with an eye for goal

Whittaker and Hector-Ingram: prolific youth goalscoring records

A large portion of our squad is only going to get better as we go on, that’s a recipe for promotion. So many times over the past 7/8 years we’ve had short promotion windows due to loanees or ageing players. Don’t have that limitation now, we have a core that we can build around and a top class manager that’s going nowhere.

Academy will continue to produce as well, Brown and Ebosele seem like next in line. Future is so, so bright.

You can’t put us and promotion in the same conversation.

McClaren’s team - our best in 10 years and a team that took five years under Clough to assemble - ultimately wasn’t good enough. Rowett and Lampard’s teams weren’t good enough.

Play-offs? OK, yes. But promotion? This team still has a long way to go to be good enough.

These young players don’t need to be burdened by the expectation that we’ll be next year’s Leeds or next year’s Brentford. We are miles away.

Much like Hughes and Hendrick before them, Bird and Sibley need time to mature. The same goes for Bogle. It’s one thing showing potential in short bursts, it’s another being depended on week in, week out. We have to consider how these players will handle it.

If we can slowly get the recruitment right and keep those three at the club and the trajectory of their development goes as we expect, 2021-22 or 22-23 could be our year.

I don’t like saying it, because promotion should always be the aim in this league. But I think given the state of play at the club with the finances and the infrastructure, it’s where we are right now.

There are some good foundations with the academy but we need to take the expectation levels down a notch.

45 minutes ago, Jram said:

I actually thought bogle defended really well today, Lowe too 

first goal, Lowe covered the run mostly, he was just unlucky it bounced to Watkins and the third goal was well defended, they pushed him away from the goal, it was just an unbelievable strike (could Hamer have done better??)

Lowe second half gave the ball away so so cheaply on one occasion right outside our penalty box... fortunately nothing came of it ... I like him but he’s still got so much to learn and cut out some very silly mistakes .... he doesn’t have time on his side in the same way bogle does ... is he 23 now 

not saying he’s a bad player or not a prospect ... he’s just got a lot to learn still 

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

McClaren’s team - our best in 10 years and a team that took five years under Clough to assemble - ultimately wasn’t good enough. Rowett and Lampard’s teams weren’t good enough.

Play-offs? OK, yes. But promotion? This team still has a long way to go to be good enough.

These young players don’t need to be burdened by the expectation that we’ll be next year’s Leeds or next year’s Brentford. We are miles away.

Much like Hughes and Hendrick before them, Bird and Sibley need time to mature. The same goes for Bogle. It’s one thing showing potential in short bursts, it’s another being depended on week in, week out. We have to consider how these players will handle it.

If we can slowly get the recruitment right and keep those three at the club and the trajectory of their development goes as we expect, 2021-22 or 22-23 could be our year.

I don’t like saying it, because promotion should always be the aim in this league. But I think given the state of play at the club with the finances and the infrastructure, it’s where we are right now.

There are some good foundations with the academy but we need to take the expectation levels down a notch.

Bang on mate 

12 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Without signing three or four older players better than our present ones, I cannot see our young players getting us promotion next year.

We need a goalkeeper a centre half a centre forward and a wide player - all are easy to get but we need very good ones 

15 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Which I think is fine personally. Have to aim for play offs, of course, but if we can play decent exciting football with a large portion of the team made up of our own then I’m more than happy with that. 

There will bumps in the road as they learn, but it’s so much more rewarding to root for them. 

2 hours ago, Bazal77 said:

Il probably get poo for this, but bogle is not good enough. I hope we cash in on him and get a defender in who can defend. 

Already got him Jordan Brown plus he can play left back and defensive midfield 

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

Marriott ? 

or u mean Grease lightening ? 

Someone you’re hopefully gonna get a season out of 

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

Agree, much as I think (with my rose coloured spectacles on) that we’ll tear up this league next season I’m minded,  in the cold light of day, to see this as a progression over the next 2 or 3 seasons rather than 1. 

Archived