VAR

FindernRam

So apparently yesterday:

3 referees awarded penalties

3 VAR officials confirmed these penalties

Now some unnamed people have declared that their view, these were all mistakes.

Who were they? How did they reach their conclusion? Why did they feel the need to publicise it and further undermine the reputation VAR has of getting it wrong.

Perhaps all VAR decisions now should be referred up to FIFA for arbitration.

The whole thing is a farce, we wait minutes to get an incorrect decision, takes all the  emotion out a game as a spectator. Maybe they should do like Srictly or BGT and have a drum beat assisted pause before announcing the result of a check!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

So apparently yesterday:

Who were they? How did they reach their conclusion? Why did they feel the need to publicise it and further undermine the reputation VAR has of getting it wrong.

Perhaps all VAR decisions now should be referred up to FIFA for arbitration.

The whole thing is a farce, we wait minutes to get an incorrect decision, takes all the  emotion out a game as a spectator. Maybe they should do like Srictly or BGT and have a drum beat assisted pause before announcing the result of a check!

As I mentioned in the Live football thread, the Man Utd penalty was only checked to see if it was inside or outside the area. At no point did the commentators (who can hear what's going on) indicate that they were checking to see if it was an actual foul, which it clearly wasn't.

Simply incompetent.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - VAR won’t work until we improve the standards of our incompetent officials. It’s not the tech that’s the problem, it’s the fact that the muppets watching the videos are the same ones who are making the mistakes on the pitch in the first place. How that Spurs pen wasn’t given I’ll never know. The VAR refs don’t seem to have the baalocks to overturn the original decision enough either - on closer view, there’s no way that Man Utd penalty should have been given last night.

The technology is fine, we need to improve the people operating it. 

On 10/07/2020 at 11:24, FindernRam said:

So apparently yesterday:

Clear and obvious!

• 5 months later...

After hearing Moyes complain about the twice taken penalty at Leeds I thought I’d watch the highlights this morning.

Now VAR has a lot to answer for but, if I’m not mistaken, the West Ham keeper didn’t even start with either foot on the line. So, clearly the correct decision by VAR IMO. You can’t blame the technology for catching a clear breach of the rules.

26 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

After hearing Moyes complain about the twice taken penalty at Leeds I thought I’d watch the highlights this morning.

Now VAR has a lot to answer for but, if I’m not mistaken, the West Ham keeper didn’t even start with either foot on the line. So, clearly the correct decision by VAR IMO. You can’t blame the technology for catching a clear breach of the rules.

It was the right decision to have it retaken. 

The encroachment on both penalties bugged the hell out of me (and it always does) - not sure why VAR ignored that.

On the plus side, I have found myself really enjoying watching both Leeds (please don't tell anyone) and West Ham this season and I was thoroughly entertained by last night's game.

26 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Still want VAR to be burned and the ashes of it put in a lead container and then dropped in the ocean over a particually deep trench. However, moaning managers can also sod right off.

30 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Yep correct decision

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It was the right decision to have it retaken. 

The encroachment on both penalties bugged the hell out of me (and it always does) - not sure why VAR ignored that.

On the plus side, I have found myself really enjoying watching both Leeds (please don't tell anyone) and West Ham this season and I was thoroughly entertained by last night's game.

I reckon almost every penalty would have to be retaken because of it. Maybe they should...If im honest not sure on the rules.

Maybe just make a rule, if your player is the first to encroach and you score...disallow it. If your player is the first but your keeper saves it, force a retake.

14 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

I reckon almost every penalty would have to be retaken because of it. Maybe they should...If im honest not sure on the rules.

Maybe just make a rule, if your player is the first to encroach and you score...disallow it. If your player is the first but your keeper saves it, force a retake.

There is a handy little table on p.126 of the laws of the game:

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/ifab-laws-of-the-game-2020-21.pdf?cloudid=d6g1medsi8jrrd3e4imp

Essentially, if players of both teams encroach, the kick is retaken, regardless of the outcome of the original kick. 

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Still want VAR to be burned and the ashes of it put in a lead container and then dropped in the ocean over a particually deep trench. However, moaning managers can also sod right off.

Agree...I could not stand seeing another farce like last season where  a goal was scored and var ruled it out for a penalty at the other end! Right or wrong it's not football as we know it and just plain stupid.

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

There is a handy little table on p.126 of the laws of the game:

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/ifab-laws-of-the-game-2020-21.pdf?cloudid=d6g1medsi8jrrd3e4imp

Essentially, if players of both teams encroach, the kick is retaken, regardless of the outcome of the original kick. 

If that's correct then the commentator was wrong. I'm sure he said that if encroachment was by a team mate of the player taking a successful penalty and that team mate did not affect the kick, then the goal stands.

1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

Issue I have each and every time on offside is how does the VAR decide exactly the instant the ball is struck? Often way downfield not in shot. One framw every 25Th of a second, which frame do they use? A toenail/armpit/nose can move quite a long way in that time.

Also this ridculous idea of the linesman not flagging for an obvious offside so that VAR can confim the decision. I've said all along that it should be an aid to the onfield officials, not something that makes them redundant......

agree it's not working. But using technology is fine surely. "Was it over the line" being the best example  The cure for VAR is to limit its application. So it could be used just for, say, was the scorer offside? was it hand ball in the area? should the penalty have been awarded? Whatever. Leave the rest to the officials. The focus on build up play is excessive   

They could quite easily issue the ref with a button to press whenever he wants VAR to take a look at something - VAR can continue reviewing everything in the background but only get involved when requested to by the ref or when an off the ball incident occurs that none of the on-field officials seem to have seen....give the power back to the on-field team..

5 hours ago, Gaspode said:

They could quite easily issue the ref with a button to press whenever he wants VAR to take a look at something - VAR can continue reviewing everything in the background but only get involved when requested to by the ref or when an off the ball incident occurs that none of the on-field officials seem to have seen....give the power back to the on-field team..

Yes, like when all the players appeal for a handball, but the ref genuinely didn’t see it cos his view was obscured, it saves him having to guess. He just asks VAR, they check it, and it takes the element of doubt out of it, or an advantage gained just by piling pressure on the ref. 

That’s what VAR always should have been for and should have been used for. It seems absolutely crazy to me that they’ve screwed it up so badly.

Maybe it’s cos they need to justify their existence. Situations like the above only really happen once every few matches, so people would think they’re wasting money on another team of refs sitting in a room not doing anything most matches. At least the fourth official gets to hold his little board up every now and then.

Archived