Test Cricket is Back

sage

58 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Today’s nonsense aside, Carey is an excellent keeper. It’s a shame we don’t bother picking ours. I think Bairstow’s keeping has probably cost getting on for 150 runs in the two tests so far. Given he averages 5 more than Foakes with the bat it hardly feels worth it.

What I find funny is that Bairstow tried exactly the same play against Labuschagne in the first innings but missed. Good for some but not others?

IMG_1308.thumb.jpeg.f900a79845c9c77678722e2a4cfc47c5.jpeg

Edited by Stagtime

8 hours ago, Stagtime said:

What I find funny is that Bairstow tried exactly the same play against Labuschagne in the first innings but missed. Good for some but not others?

IMG_1308.thumb.jpeg.f900a79845c9c77678722e2a4cfc47c5.jpeg

Labuschagne was batting out of his crease so not the same thing at all

10 hours ago, JakeDCFC said:

Personally I like the idea of trying to win at all costs as long as it stays within the rules, it's quite entertaining to me and I think it's something that a lot of teams should try to do instead of following the "unwritten rules" as a lot of baseball fans hear in the states refer to similar situations but in baseball instead. 

I'm going to go a little off tangent here Jake

We've had a report concerning the ECB and cricket in England and it wasn't a good read   

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/jun/27/english-cricket-is-racist-sexist-and-elitist-says-landmark-report

Here in England there is still a class society and in cricket(Elitist)it's seen as the last Bastian of our sporting history, To be a member of the MCC(red and yellow jackets and ties)puts you in a members club where wealth can be seen, It can take a person years to get to be a member of the MCC most likely easier to get into the "Masons" 😁

There's still people in England and posters on this board that believe we were hard done by...I don't, World sport is a cut throat business and the Ashes are up there, If you can get one over the opposition by fair means or foul then in some cases it's seen as fair game, This incident will have been scrutinised in the press and at Headingly on Thursday the Convicts will feel the wrath of a different set of class of supporters, Those Convicts who field on the boundary will be hounded...as we English supporters will use any method whether Fair or foul means to wind the convicts up...bring it on 👍 

Football(Soccer for you 😁)is a classic example of a win at all cost, And is accepted by those that run our game and isn't called out ie Diving, Feigning injury, Constantly pinching yards at throw-ins and free kicks.

Cricket as AndyinLiverpool alluded too..."it's not on old boy" 

It's pretty embarrassing for the Aussies that they felt they had to resort to this to take Bairstow's wicket. There's not really any defence for their actions in this instance. Yes, it's within the laws, but it's cheap and underhand. Having said that, no one does righteous indignation quite like the English. See the pathetic reaction last summer when India mankaded Dean. Personally I feel like our reaction is also embarrassing and completely disproportionate. I can't stand all this "spirit of cricket" guff. Not because I disagree with the notion that there's a spirit of cricket, but because people only ever invoke it when they're looking to excuse mistakes and when it would benefit their team. How many English people care about the spirit of cricket when Broad refuses to walk after a clear edge?

2 hours ago, The Last Post said:

I'm going to go a little off tangent here Jake

We've had a report concerning the ECB and cricket in England and it wasn't a good read   

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/jun/27/english-cricket-is-racist-sexist-and-elitist-says-landmark-report

Here in England there is still a class society and in cricket(Elitist)it's seen as the last Bastian of our sporting history, To be a member of the MCC(red and yellow jackets and ties)puts you in a members club where wealth can be seen, It can take a person years to get to be a member of the MCC most likely easier to get into the "Masons" 😁

There's still people in England and posters on this board that believe we were hard done by...I don't, World sport is a cut throat business and the Ashes are up there, If you can get one over the opposition by fair means or foul then in some cases it's seen as fair game, This incident will have been scrutinised in the press and at Headingly on Thursday the Convicts will feel the wrath of a different set of class of supporters, Those Convicts who field on the boundary will be hounded...as we English supporters will use any method whether Fair or foul means to wind the convicts up...bring it on 👍 

Football(Soccer for you 😁)is a classic example of a win at all cost, And is accepted by those that run our game and isn't called out ie Diving, Feigning injury, Constantly pinching yards at throw-ins and free kicks.

Cricket as AndyinLiverpool alluded too..."it's not on old boy" 

Yeah it feels like the sport of cricket still has a decent way to go in terms of addressing a lot of the issues mentioned in that article that do have some deep roots in the game. I feel like lots of sports are like that in a way but certain sports like cricket, golf, baseball here in the states etc. seem to have more as there is a definite class divide when it comes to the sport. I was up at 4 am watching yesterday and personally I didn't really see anything wrong with the run out, but I get why there was uproar as I see similar grievances with certain aspects of baseball here in the states by some of the "old boys" of the sport if that is the right way to say it LOL. Also if I am not mistaken, didn't Bairstow attempt a similar tactic tossing it at the stumps after Labuschagne didn't play a ball a few days earlier in the series? Idk, it all just seems to pointless to be upset about it, but I am guilty of complaining when my team has a "controversial" call go against us haha. 

Feel the need to vent on the Bairstow topic.

By the letter of the law its out and if Australia or others want to play cricket in that manner then that's their prerogative. 

However, anybody that's played at a level above school boy cricket knows that the wicket was underhand and against the spirit of the game. If Carey wants to stump Bairstow then he should back his ability and stand up to the fast bowler. Of course, Bairstow wouldn't wander out of his wicket if that was the case so Carey decided to stay back like the snake that he is and stump him on the sly.

I've seen people showing clips of England doing the same thing and once again i feel the need to address these.

Marnus Labuschagne - Marnus was standing out of his crease, therefore this isn't comparable to Bairstow who waled out of his crease assuming that the ball was dead.

Colin de Grandhomme - The batsmen started to go down the wicket for a run before turning around, once again the fielding team is well within its rights to run the batsman out.

The Starc catch - England didn't make the decision, Ducket was leaving the field of play and the third umpire made the call. Whether it was out or not is a different debate but certainly not of England's doing. 

In fact the only example i can see of England doing something comparable is when Foakes stumped the Irish chap after waiting an age for the batter to briefly lift his foot. This was also sly in my opinion but if we're playing tit for tat then i'm sure we can find evidence of every test nation doing something shady. But that doesn't mean Australia gets a free ride for this action.

In my opinion England would've lost the test anyway but the fact the the number 1 test side resorted to this action is pathetic. England need their bums kicking for losing the first test so what should be a 1-1 score line is 2-0 Aus and the Ashes are all but done and dusted.

My final word on this is that i can't believe how many pundits have sided with the Australians. If what Carey did happened on a saturday down at Belper or at Denby there would be uproar and embarrassment from those involved. Its just really poor form all round.

1 hour ago, Anon said:

It's pretty embarrassing for the Aussies that they felt they had to resort to this to take Bairstow's wicket. There's not really any defence for their actions in this instance. Yes, it's within the laws, but it's cheap and underhand. Having said that, no one does righteous indignation quite like the English. See the pathetic reaction last summer when India mankaded Dean. Personally I feel like our reaction is also embarrassing and completely disproportionate. I can't stand all this "spirit of cricket" guff. Not because I disagree with the notion that there's a spirit of cricket, but because people only ever invoke it when they're looking to excuse mistakes and when it would benefit their team. How many English people care about the spirit of cricket when Broad refuses to walk after a clear edge?

I agree to an extent but no one walks when edging it anymore. The furure over that edge is also embarrassing and completely disproportionate. 

12 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Feel the need to vent on the Bairstow topic.

By the letter of the law its out and if Australia or others want to play cricket in that manner then that's their prerogative. 

However, anybody that's played at a level above school boy cricket knows that the wicket was underhand and against the spirit of the game. If Carey wants to stump Bairstow then he should back his ability and stand up to the fast bowler. Of course, Bairstow wouldn't wander out of his wicket if that was the case so Carey decided to stay back like the snake that he is and stump him on the sly.

I've seen people showing clips of England doing the same thing and once again i feel the need to address these.

Marnus Labuschagne - Marnus was standing out of his crease, therefore this isn't comparable to Bairstow who waled out of his crease assuming that the ball was dead.

Colin de Grandhomme - The batsmen started to go down the wicket for a run before turning around, once again the fielding team is well within its rights to run the batsman out.

The Starc catch - England didn't make the decision, Ducket was leaving the field of play and the third umpire made the call. Whether it was out or not is a different debate but certainly not of England's doing. 

In fact the only example i can see of England doing something comparable is when Foakes stumped the Irish chap after waiting an age for the batter to briefly lift his foot. This was also sly in my opinion but if we're playing tit for tat then i'm sure we can find evidence of every test nation doing something shady. But that doesn't mean Australia gets a free ride for this action.

In my opinion England would've lost the test anyway but the fact the the number 1 test side resorted to this action is pathetic. England need their bums kicking for losing the first test so what should be a 1-1 score line is 2-0 Aus and the Ashes are all but done and dusted.

My final word on this is that i can't believe how many pundits have sided with the Australians. If what Carey did happened on a saturday down at Belper or at Denby there would be uproar and embarrassment from those involved. Its just really poor form all round.

I think the only difference between the Bairstow run out attempt and Carey's is that Carey actually was accurate enough to hit the stumps 😉 

7 minutes ago, JakeDCFC said:

I think the only difference between the Bairstow run out attempt and Carey's is that Carey actually was accurate enough to hit the stumps 😉 

Labuschagne stands out of his crease when he takes guard so Bairstow probably threw at the stumps to try and get him to change his stance. Bairstow stands behind the crease when batting and just thought the over was over and walked out his ground, not the brightest thing to do by Bairstow and by the laws it’s out if Australia want to play the game that way it’s entirely up to them they’ve got a reputation for unsportsmanlike behaviour, bowling underarm, sandpaper and excessive sledging etc but most teams have committed some crimes in the past.

Bairstows brain fade hasn’t cost us the ashes but his inept wicket keeping may have 

53 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:

Labuschagne stands out of his crease when he takes guard so Bairstow probably threw at the stumps to try and get him to change his stance. Bairstow stands behind the crease when batting and just thought the over was over and walked out his ground, not the brightest thing to do by Bairstow and by the laws it’s out if Australia want to play the game that way it’s entirely up to them they’ve got a reputation for unsportsmanlike behaviour, bowling underarm, sandpaper and excessive sledging etc but most teams have committed some crimes in the past.

Bairstows brain fade hasn’t cost us the ashes but his inept wicket keeping may have 

I was mainly just making a sly joke lol, but ultimately I don't think it should be considered unsportsmanlike, should always be on alert and have your head on a swivel. I'm not really a fan of "unwritten rules" or things that have to do with the "spirit of the game," I'm of the opinion of win at all costs as long as it stays within the rules. Ultimately England didn't play well enough but it was outstanding to see Stoke's innings and him almost saving them. 

On 04/07/2023 at 00:54, JakeDCFC said:

I was mainly just making a sly joke lol, but ultimately I don't think it should be considered unsportsmanlike, should always be on alert and have your head on a swivel. I'm not really a fan of "unwritten rules" or things that have to do with the "spirit of the game," I'm of the opinion of win at all costs as long as it stays within the rules. Ultimately England didn't play well enough but it was outstanding to see Stoke's innings and him almost saving them. 

Couldn't disagree more. We've seen where win at all costs attitudes end up in football. It's f****** grim. Incomprehensible then, that such attitudes could actually be considered as something that would enhance the game of cricket. They clearly don't.

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Couldn't disagree more. We've seen where win at all costs attitudes end up in football. It's f****** grim. Incomprehensible then, that such attitudes could actually be considered as something that would enhance the game of cricket. They clearly don't.

Winning at all cost as long as it stays within the rules is what makes sport exciting for me personally, but we can agree to disagree of course haha, I'm glad the Aussies employed it and were able to pull it out when it was looking rough for them

Edited by JakeDCFC