Night clubs, entertainment etc.

mozza

Pretty certain going out back 20-30 years ago was much more fun than now. Derby is a much better pub city in my opinion. The last 10 years I've been legally allowed to drink, I don't think there's 1 club in Derby that's been any good. My mates used to love Mosh but I thought it was a dump. I did go on a few dates with girls though who I met through that place. Purely because they thought the place was a dive too, we had something to talk about straight away ?

Snottingham has better club type venues, if you fancy walking/stumbling for miles. 

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How long is The Derby Mile nowadays?  100 yards at a guess?  ?

You couldn't walk that far without coming to another pub, back then!  I've had many a pleasant stagger down Ashbourne Rd in the past, including back when McDs was the Derbyshire Yeoman!  ?

50 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

You couldn't walk that far without coming to another pub, back then!  I've had many a pleasant stagger down Ashbourne Rd in the past, including back when McDs was the Derbyshire Yeoman!  ?

Did my stag night on the mile. I admit I didn't do it properly, mainly halves and missing the odd pub out. I was still plastered mind ?

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

38 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Did my stag night on the mile. I admit I didn't do it properly, mainly halves and missing the odd pub out. I was still plastered mind ?

Never did it with the Yeoman as a bit before my time, but did many a 18th/21st back in the 90's.  Most memorable was one i did with a mate who went awol in the greyhound after a topshelf. (can't buy them now) and rang me at home that evening from a random wedding reception in Dovedale at 11 not knowing how he was getting home and how he'd been convinced to go.

Last time i did it was about 15 years ago, pubs at the top were totally aggro, half full and we witnessed a full on riot in the Swan and Salmon between two rival factions of the same family. Thats when they started shutting. I think the opening of pus like Blaise the George.tonic and seymours further down helped to finish it off .

Also remember to do the true mile you had to go to a pub near the old greyhound stadium, off vernon gate.

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Also remember to do the true mile you had to go to a pub near the old greyhound stadium, off vernon gate.

Was that a little terrace house pub, like someone’s front room? 

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

Was that a little terrace house pub, like someone’s front room? 

41 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

i think it is/was but to be fair it's been a few years and by the time you get that far you only really notice the door. Might have been called The York ?

Found this on Google...

York tavern.  York Street.  DE1 1FZ

So, That's right onto Vernon Street (Heading towards the greyhound stadium), then left onto York Street.

I recall a slight detour to The Brick & Tile over the other side of Ashbourne Rd, but I'm not convinced we ever took this detour, and that frontage isn't familiar.

8 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Found this on Google...

York tavern.  York Street.  DE1 1FZ

So, That's right onto Vernon Street (Heading towards the greyhound stadium), then left onto York Street.

I recall a slight detour to The Brick & Tile over the other side of Ashbourne Rd, but I'm not convinced we ever took this detour, and that frontage isn't familiar.

That’s the one ! Yesssss ive done the full mile then ☺️?

Did the mile several times bitd....by the time we hit town everyone was puking up and falling over.....originally it was 20 pubs, a stag do would be well split up by the time they made Friar gate.

The Swan and Salmon and the Gallant Hussar were mental pubs on a Sunday lunchtime at one point when all the locals were in. 

There was a huge fight once on Ashbourne Road when Stoke fans came into town after playing at Rotherham (I think). the then landlord of the Swan and Salmon told me that the Stokies were up the road at the Wagon and Horses, the Derby lads raided the Swan, unscrewed the legs off stools for weapons and attacked the chip eaters up the road.

Over 20 arrests and a full pitched battle in Ashbourne Road ensued with Stoke's naughty forty and the Derby lads having a right go.

On 03/07/2020 at 21:14, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Thats the one.  Wing Wahs is Babbington lane isn't it. 

Wing Wah is in Burton, the one that was on Babington Lane was called May Sum, which is now an adult themed crazy golf, called The House of Holes. 

29 minutes ago, rynny said:

Wing Wah is in Burton, the one that was on Babington Lane was called May Sum, which is now an adult themed crazy golf, called The House of Holes. 

Just looked on House of Holes website, great reviews, seems like a good night out, have you been? 

9 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

There's a lot I could say to that as it was Ritzy before it was Progress, but I won't.

I cant remember it being Progress, thought that was Mansfield Rd?? 

Confettis, Ritzys, Eclipse, McCluskeys? 

i'm a 

19 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I cant remember it being Progress, thought that was Mansfield Rd?? 

Confettis, Ritzys, Eclipse, McCluskeys? 

Definitely Progress- spent most weekends there working or attending for a few years.  It did go to Mansfield road where paradise used to be- was a pant's venue for it though.

On 22/06/2020 at 12:17, Paul71 said:

Friday Night - Ripley - Pubs, Tonkers, Regal

Saturday Night, same as Friday

Monday Night - Denby Lodge (yes it was very busy with the younger crowd)

Thursday Anchor/Peacock Oakerthorpe.

We must have been in all those places at the same time.... I was never a big Tonkers fan though to be honest.

Denby lodge on a monday night was always brilliant....

Thursday night down Oakerthorpe....a couple of beers at the anchor then up to the peacock finishing the night off with a ride into Ripley and a kebab from Gills..... Friday morning at work was always slow going and included lots of trips to the bathroom.....then Friday night straight back on it - Eagle Tavern at Heage then then the bus up to Ripley and around it all went again.....

Archived