Live football thread.

Rev

On 13/02/2021 at 14:36, SKRam said:

Klopp lost his Mum this week didn’t he. Maybe football doesn’t hold the same passion for him just now. Am sure it’s difficult to focus, though they aren’t a patch on last season obviously. 

Phillipe Auclair was saying that, a while ago now, a Premier League manager whom remained nameless had a shocker of an afternoon, battered from pillar to post, snappy in the media, criticised etcetera. 

His mum had died the day before, he even worded it; “my mummy died yesterday”.

Cruel place, is football. 

Just now, Gaspode said:

Painful watching with whiny Carragher on co-commentary...

Got it on mute, don’t know who I detest more between Carragher and Sue Smith who was on Soccer Saturday. And that brings me to a bit of a conundrum... do you know anybody in your everyday life who refers to football as soccer ? ? 

I don’t, I’m sure it’s a television world word, I mean, if soccer was correct, wouldn’t we have the SA as opposed to the FA ?

Sorry for rambling, you don’t need to respond to that. ?

1 hour ago, Pearl Ram said:

Got it on mute, don’t know who I detest more between Carragher and Sue Smith who was on Soccer Saturday. And that brings me to a bit of a conundrum... do you know anybody in your everyday life who refers to football as soccer ? ? 

I don’t, I’m sure it’s a television world word, I mean, if soccer was correct, wouldn’t we have the SA as opposed to the FA ?

Sorry for rambling, you don’t need to respond to that. ?

Oh I do and lots of mates who are around my age (74).  When I was first taken by dad to see Stanley Mathews at the BBG it was called soccer as much as it was called football and lots of magazines had Soccer in the title. (Soccer World, Soccer Review, Soccer Star etc) It’s not an American thing, it comes from Association football (hence soccer) to distinguish it from Rugby football (rugger). But I suppose it’s use now is just us old gits and Americans (who first adopted the word when it was still called soccer here and to distinguish it from American football)

5 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Not sure how the ref gave a penalty when the defender was already on the floor and looking the other way when the Everton player fell over him, but delighted that Liverpool lost....

Having this argument with a Liverpool supporting mate... I don't see how it can be argued that it's anything but a penalty.

Trent is sliding because he's tried to block the shot, he doesn't get the ball and his momentum keeps him sliding in front of Calvert-Lewin's path. Calvert-Lewin is going for the ball, he shouldn't be expected to change or stop his run just because Trent is sliding in front of him, he'd be denied a certain goal by doing that.

It's unfortunate on Trent because he's not meant to do it, but it's still a clear penalty.

45 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Having this argument with a Liverpool supporting mate... I don't see how it can be argued that it's anything but a penalty.

Trent is sliding because he's tried to block the shot, he doesn't get the ball and his momentum keeps him sliding in front of Calvert-Lewin's path. Calvert-Lewin is going for the ball, he shouldn't be expected to change or stop his run just because Trent is sliding in front of him, he'd be denied a certain goal by doing that.

It's unfortunate on Trent because he's not meant to do it, but it's still a clear penalty.

We (as in professional football) seem to have forgotten the idea that a penalty is given when there is a foul committed in the penalty area. An accidental collision never was (and never should be) considered a foul.....