Live football thread.

Rev

I have some sympathy with Maguire although if he turned down a move in the transfer window virtually guaranteeing him game time then he's made a huge mistake. His confidence is shot, the last thing he needs is to be exposed on the international stage to the intense scrutiny by media and fans - I would have expected Southgate to have understood his situation and used this 'friendly' to play Tomori or at least bring him off the bench, rather than put more pressure on Maguire.

Just now, Wolfie20 said:

I have some sympathy with Maguire although if he turned down a move in the transfer window virtually guaranteeing him game time then he's made a huge mistake. His confidence is shot, the last thing he needs is to be exposed on the international stage to the intense scrutiny by media and fans - I would have expected Southgate to have understood his situation and used this 'friendly' to play Tomori or at least bring him off the bench, rather than put more pressure on Maguire.

And that’s what I don’t understand about Southgate - he’d argue that he picks players he knows in competitive games and you can make a case for that - but this is a friendly where he can give the fringe players game time and he leaves players like Tomori sitting in the bench….there was no need at all to bring Maguire on.