Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

4 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

I'm definitely missing something with this, the last scene with her daughter is being described as one of those "you can't watch it without crying" moments. I could. It felt like a poor man's Scott Pilgrim to me, without the wit and interplay. Glad you enjoyed it but, for me, I'm feeling a bit jealous that I didn't see all the things that have won it so many plaudits.

I can see how it could be a bit marmite. It definitely sets off in a direction that you either jump on board with or which would become increasingly hard to connect with and repetitive I'd guess.  Pretty long too.  I found it funny,  exhilarating and completely bonkers.

On 09/01/2023 at 10:56, Jubbs said:

Watched The Menu on Disney+ over the weekend.

Unique psychological thriller with an ensemble cast (Ralph Fiennes, Anya Taylor-Joy, Nicholas Hoult).

A great, thought-provoking film with deeper meanings about society as a whole.

8/10

Finally got around to seeing this on Prime.

Enjoyed it but I was wondering at the end what the meaning of it all was. And then I remembered the bit 3/4 through the film when he says (not a spoiler) that he wonders why they haven't tried harder to get away.

Fiennes is just effortlessly good in everything and I could watch Anya Taylor Joy all day long.

7/10

'Fall' (Netflix)

Very basic story and you immediately wonder how it can be dragged out to 100min film.   Am sure some people will find it one dimensional.

But for me, rather like Open Water or Buried, that very simplicity creates the atmosphere that drags you in and keeps you engrossed.

8 out of 10

16 hours ago, Chester40 said:

'Fall' (Netflix)

Very basic story and you immediately wonder how it can be dragged out to 100min film.   Am sure some people will find it one dimensional.

But for me, rather like Open Water or Buried, that very simplicity creates the atmosphere that drags you in and keeps you engrossed.

8 out of 10

Judging by how much my palms were sweating and toes aching, just watching the Netflix clip, I don't think I'll be watching that.

44 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Judging by how much my palms were sweating and toes aching, just watching the Netflix clip, I don't think I'll be watching that.

Yeah same, thought it looked just a fun easy watch but makes you feel all drunk when you see the height. 

Is it supposed to be possible for fear of heights to be felt through TV

Edited by Alpha

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Bank of Dave - Netflix

Utterly unrealistic. Utterly predictable. Sugary sweet throughout.

I liked it.

The very definition of a feel-good film. Sometimes we just need that, don't we?

7/10

Yeah, I thought it was great. And it's based on a true story which makes it all the more brilliant. Dave Fishwick was doing the media rounds recently as it was awards season. His Bank is booming.

On 19/03/2023 at 07:11, BaaLocks said:

I'm definitely missing something with this, the last scene with her daughter is being described as one of those "you can't watch it without crying" moments. I could. It felt like a poor man's Scott Pilgrim to me, without the wit and interplay. Glad you enjoyed it but, for me, I'm feeling a bit jealous that I didn't see all the things that have won it so many plaudits.

I actually haven't watched Scott Pilgrim - and I really like Edgar Wright so gave it a whirl.

Started ok but then found it quite irritating really. Michael Cera bugs me anyway. Found it comparable to Wayne's World where I kinda just didn't get in tune with the tone and had more misses than hits with the humour.

On 27/03/2023 at 09:31, Alpha said:

Yeah same, thought it looked just a fun easy watch but makes you feel all drunk when you see the height. 

Is it supposed to be possible for fear of heights to be felt through TV

Yep, Watched 14 Peaks...jeez my stomach sank to my boots, I hate heights, I close my eyes when stepping off the curb and froze solid when on the cable cars in Madeira Sad Happy Hour GIF 

Went to a screening of Never Let Me Go last night at the BFI. First time I'd seen it since viewing it when it came out in 2010, but it had always stayed with me. An amazing cast, with Keira Knightly, Andrew Garfield, Carey Mulligan, Charlotte Rampling etc. And intense. Brutal. It's honest to itself in that it is so dismal and unrelenting. Written by Alex Garland, based on the Ishiguro novel, so with a great pedigree. But not an easy watch. Trevor Christie/10.

Murder Mystery 2 (Netflix)

Comedy whodunnit sequel starring Jennifer Aniston & Adam Sandler.

Lightweight (obviously) and totally unrealistic fluff. Mrs Wolfie laughed a lot more than I did but it's good enough for what it is, and always a pleasure IMO to watch Mark Strong.

6/10