Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

Il Posto, Italian film from 1961.  On Netflix (Iceland) This is an unusual one, charming, yet disheartening, sad, yet funny and all too realistic.  A young man must quit school to support his family and enters the world of the corporate machine.  For the kind of film that it is, it could not have been portrayed any better.  No music to tell one how to feel during scenes, just up front and thoughtful.  Came up in my mind many times after viewing.  10/10 a real gem.

Unleashed (2005?)

Jet Li is raised from childhood as Bob Hoskins' attack-dog/pet, until he escapes following a car crash (involving lots of bullets). He is taken in by blind piano-tuner Morgan Freeman and... etc etc.

A really good watch at times but hardly a 'classic'.

Richie Barker / 10.

On 09/01/2023 at 12:16, 86 Hair Islands said:

The Pale Blue Eye - Eery, macabre and well acted murder mystery. 

8/10

Thanks for the recommendation fella. Saw this on Saturday & really enjoyed it.

Also thought Harry Melling (as the young Edgar Allen Poe) was amazing & matched Christian Bale for acting. I'd only ever seen him before as the Dursley kid in Harry Potter.

8/10.

5 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Thanks for the recommendation fella. Saw this on Saturday & really enjoyed it.

Also thought Harry Melling (as the young Edgar Allen Poe) was amazing & matched Christian Bale for acting. I'd only ever seen him before as the Dursley kid in Harry Potter.

8/10.

Welcome. 

Yep, he's great. Couldn't think where I'd seen him before. You've a good memory!   

Poorly so just started Tulsa King as I've little else to do while recuperating. Quirky and humorous tale of a Mafia capo newly released after a 25 year stretch, whose reward for his silence and loyalty is banishment from New York to Tulsa. Quite good fun without taking itself too seriously and Sly still looking ridiculously buff at 76.

Another Taylor Sheridan project (far more light-hearted than Sheridan's usual fare; Sicario, Yellowstone, Hell or High Water, Mayor of Kingstown) and season 2 is already confirmed so interested to see where it goes from here.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16358384/

16 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Poorly so just started Tulsa King as I've little else to do while recuperating. Quirky and humorous tale of a Mafia capo newly released after a 25 year stretch, whose reward for his silence and loyalty is banishment from New York to Tulsa. Quite good fun without taking itself too seriously and Sly still looking ridiculously buff at 76.

Another Taylor Sheridan project (far more light-hearted than Sheridan's usual fare; Sicario, Yellowstone, Hell or High Water, Mayor of Kingstown) and season 2 is already confirmed so interested to see where it goes from here.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16358384/

Soz chaps. Wrong thread and not a great show either ?

Little Fockers. All of them looking so old now, because we all are. And the little fockers themselves seemed miscast. That said, some of the old magic still there, even if it wasn't especially well crafted in terms of how it came together at the end, and various loose ends were left untied. Don Masson/10.

Life : Not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination.

Just about every minute of this movie is straight out of the Alien script, with the aforementioned Alien crossed out and Squid written in in crayon. 

Don't bother.

Clod/10

(Re)watched it with the kids as they were asking to see the sequel at the cinema, so figured it made sense to have them watch the original first.

Wow...so slow and boring 2nd time round. Felt like a very very long cut scene from a computer game. Little action, soppy and overly preachy.  

3/10

5 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

(Re)watched it with the kids as they were asking to see the sequel at the cinema, so figured it made sense to have them watch the original first.

Wow...so slow and boring 2nd time round. Felt like a very very long cut scene from a computer game. Little action, soppy and overly preachy.  

3/10

I'd have given it that  when it first came out to honest

1 hour ago, mozza said:

The ratings system used on here confuses me, we all have different opinions on how high/low we rate players. I mean i quite liked Robbie Savage (7). Any chance you lot could put ratings number in brackets?, to give me a better clue as to if it's worth watching or not.. 

Thought not..

Quite liking Robbie Savage automatically excludes you. ?

20 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It helps if you know something about Zizka, which is a bit of a flaw with the film.

Agreed - and I had never heard of him.

I expected Michael Caine to blow the bloody doors off, but once I got past that stereotype, the film got better, at least in what passes for my mind.

On 23/01/2023 at 10:51, Jubbs said:

The Banshees of Inisherin

Dark comedy about a guy (Colin Farrell) who's best mate suddenly stops speaking to him (Brendan Gleeson).

A strange film, although funny, is quite depressing with superb acting from both of them.

8/10

I watched this last night. The blurb doesn't do it justice. The concept sounds awful if trying to tell someone about it.

I found it brilliant.

Amusing and Saddening in equal measure. Colin Farrell and the young actor playing Dominic (Barry Keoghan) are absolutely superb and Gleeson maintains his high quality.

I recommend it.

Mark Wright/10

(It's on Disney+)