Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

On 02/08/2017 at 08:32, Paul71 said:

Life. A bit of an Alien clone but actually quite entertaining and not too far fetched.

7/10

On 12/08/2017 at 21:23, Wolfie said:

Life

A better alien film than Alien:Covenant was

Supposedly intelligent people doing stupid things but it wouldn't be much of a film if they hadn't. 

Entertaining enough 6/10

Watched Life & Alien Covenant last night. Definitely preferred Life. Don't get the hate for this film in the reviews. It's not amazing but still watchable & I've seen worse. 

• 2 weeks later...
Sith Happens

Baywatch. Expected it to be proper pants, but was a good fun tongue in cheek version of the series. Two people I would never really have expected to like as actors I find myself actually quite liking, Dwayne Johnson and zac effron.

7/10.

It. 8.5/10.

I really enjoyed it. Had more depth to it than your typical horror. After Super 8 and Stranger Things it seems Goonies style films are all the rage and there's plenty of good child actors around now. It was entertaining throughout but in the end wasn't that scary, when the miniseries did scare me (although I was a kid).

Maybe too much Pennywise in the end, the more you saw of him the less scary he became, although you could argue that was the point.

On 12/08/2017 at 22:26, JoetheRam said:

Had a marathon recently.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - 10/10 hands down one of the best films I've ever seen. Bought the book as well.

Apocalypse Now - 8/10 - Weird. Epic. Feels like too much film to take in in a single viewing.

American Beauty - 8/10 - A bit pretentious, but love me some Kevin Spacey and a great dark comedy.

Inception - 5/10 - Just plain stupid with zero character depth. Great special effects. 

Wash your mouth out! :p

Inception is one of the finest movies ever made. Only Cobb has real depth because all the other characters are shallow representations of people in his subconscious, as he explains to his missus at some point. That's after she's explained to him that being pursued around the globe by nameless organizations is because he's in a dream. But he refuses to wake up. You're waiting for a train...

Extraordinary conception. How do you know you didn't dream up DCFCFANS? Do you remember how you got here?

On 11/09/2017 at 00:19, Carl Sagan said:

Inception is one of the finest movies ever made. Only Cobb has real depth because all the other characters are shallow representations of people in his subconscious, as he explains to his missus at some point. That's after she's explained to him that being pursued around the globe by nameless organizations is because he's in a dream. But he refuses to wake up. You're waiting for a train...

Extraordinary conception. How do you know you didn't dream up DCFCFANS? Do you remember how you got here?

Nolan has that exquisite way of making movies that are constantly making you think and introducing intricate story telling methods, but never leaves the audience behind. Every time I watch Inception I see something different or understand a different element of the story. A modern classic

On 11/09/2017 at 00:19, Carl Sagan said:

Fair points and I understand why there's no character depth to the others (I just don't agree with Nolan doing that) and maybe some of it went a bit over my head - definitely not my usual genre. It just all seemed a bit silly and like an episode of Dr. Who whereby things happen and there is a problem and then through some previously unknown mechanic the problem gets solved. Kind of cheating the audience.

38 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Fair points and I understand why there's no character depth to the others (I just don't agree with Nolan doing that) and maybe some of it went a bit over my head - definitely not my usual genre. It just all seemed a bit silly and like an episode of Dr. Who whereby things happen and there is a problem and then through some previously unknown mechanic the problem gets solved. Kind of cheating the audience.

I recommend watching it again.

4 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

I'm curious because I can't imagine what bits you mean. Can you specify (absolutely fine if you don't wat to bother, but I am genuinely puzzled)?

I'd say Nolan is the last director who would cheat his audience - just the opposite in that he accepts they're a bright bunch who don't have to be spoonfed everything. So, there's a lot of depth in his films and the audience is well-rewarded by repeat viewings.

I'll also add that my counter-post to your original post was a little tongue-in-cheek and just my interpretation of the film. I didn't mean to pick on you! But as well as many viewings I have read the screenplay (the shooting script) several times to come to that particular interpretation. But like all good films there's no "right" interpretation.

58 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

IT- 4/5

Fun cinema experience. Enough enjoyable characters and character moments to punctuate the film and make it enjoyable outside of the scares.

Hope its not as weird as the original and the book, just some things in it that shouldn't be on screen.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Hope its not as weird as the original and the book, just some things in it that shouldn't be on screen.

They don't touch that one scene in the tunnels near the end, if that's what you're referencing...? It doesn't read well nowadays, but Stephen King has referenced what it was about and not intended the way some have read it. (Sorry if that's confusing, trying to keep it spoiler free)

I love Inception, one of my favourite movies.

Has anyone seen the Barry Seal movie with Tom Cruise? From the trailers it looks very much in the mould of The Wolf of Wallstreet, re-telling the story but in a comedy way. It looks really promising.

I watched the Big Sick last night. It has a 98% rating, and was dubbed one of the funniest movies of the year.

However, I just didn't really enjoy it. Very meh. The main actor wrote it and played himself based on a previous phase of his own life (meeting his wife, and her becoming ill). 

42 minutes ago, r4derby said:

They don't touch that one scene in the tunnels near the end, if that's what you're referencing...? It doesn't read well nowadays, but Stephen King has referenced what it was about and not intended the way some have read it. (Sorry if that's confusing, trying to keep it spoiler free)

Yep that's the one. Not sure how else it was meant.

10 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I love Inception, one of my favourite movies.

Has anyone seen the Barry Seal movie with Tom Cruise? From the trailers it looks very much in the mould of The Wolf of Wallstreet, re-telling the story but in a comedy way. It looks really promising.

I watched the Big Sick last night. It has a 98% rating, and was dubbed one of the funniest movies of the year.

However, I just didn't really enjoy it. Very meh. The main actor wrote it and played himself based on a previous phase of his own life (meeting his wife, and her becoming ill). 

I'm sure there are loads of films which I didn't manage to get to the end of over the years. Mainly because they were just poor films on TV. 

But there are three well known, and well liked ones. 

Inception, The Departed, and Walk the Line. 

One day, I might try again.