SBW Meets: Steve McClaren

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

A journalist friend of mine who was close to QPR at Wembley that day said QPR were literally “punching the air” when they saw the Derby team sheet without Bryson . . . It gave them a lift to see him not on the pitch. I couldn’t believe it either. With Bryson we’d have won. Simple as that. 

I’m not sure it’s quite as clear cut as that. As McClaren says, he wanted us to control the game. We saw how badly we were overrun in the Brighton first leg without Hughes. Even with Hughes the first half at Wembley was cagey but even. We didn’t really boss the game until the second half. 

So then it comes down to Bryson and Hendrick. Jeff actually scored as many as Bryson in the second half of 13/14. The majority of Bryson’s goals were scored by the end of Boxing Day, he only scored four in open play from then on that season. So I think McClaren was probably right to base it on who he felt would give us greater control. 

2 hours ago, cannable said:

I’m not sure it’s quite as clear cut as that. As McClaren says, he wanted us to control the game. We saw how badly we were overrun in the Brighton first leg without Hughes. Even with Hughes the first half at Wembley was cagey but even. We didn’t really boss the game until the second half. 

So then it comes down to Bryson and Hendrick. Jeff actually scored as many as Bryson in the second half of 13/14. The majority of Bryson’s goals were scored by the end of Boxing Day, he only scored four in open play from then on that season. So I think McClaren was probably right to base it on who he felt would give us greater control. 

You say “McClaren was probably right . . . “ but we lost the game. QED. As Mac said in the interview Richard Dunne had a brilliant game for QPR but had we got Bryson running late into the box we’d have punctured them. No question in my mind . . . QPR had Bryson down as the key man to stop so they were buoyed by his exclusion. 

3 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

You say “McClaren was probably right . . . “ but we lost the game. QED. As Mac said in the interview Richard Dunne had a brilliant game for QPR but had we got Bryson running late into the box we’d have punctured them. No question in my mind . . . QPR had Bryson down as the key man to stop so they were buoyed by his exclusion. 

This is the only thing we can prove, we lost. Everything else is conjecture. Maybe Bryson would have had a mare, maybe they'd crunch him and he goes off injured, maybe, maybe...

35 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

But perhaps with Bryson over Hughes then it’s QPR who dictate the game? So Bryson’s doing his running off the ball anyway…

Loved listening to it and cannot wait to hear the second part. How we didn't get promoted in either 13-14/14-15 I'll never quite know. It took an amazing only Derby size amount of bad luck for us not to have been promoted with the squads we had in those two seasons. McClaren as a manager is very topsy turvy, when he gets it right he's able to do incredible things like win championships as he did in Holland but it's a big big risk and one that often goes horribly wrong. It's always tempting to go back because of what he did but it's better to leave it in the past and remember it fondly. 

8 hours ago, cannable said:

I think Bryson seemed more effective overall than Hendrick that year.  Hendrick did not control the play more as far as i recall, so for me, not the right call. Bryson also claimed McLaren did not communicate this decision well. Still, he regrets it, sound pained, so fair dos.

On 24/04/2020 at 18:59, Steve Bloomer's Washing said:

We'll see what we can do!

We did chat to him briefly outside the away end at Brentford in Sept, and he said he was up for it... but that was before he sacked our captain, we got charged by the EFL and there was a global pandemic.

Excuses excuses! 

I so like these older gentleman in this beautiful game. I could listen to Mac, Eric Steel, Cocu etc for ages. Compare them to bit younger generation we've had: Rowett, Pearson and Clement or even Clough. They are more or less arrogant and certainly not classy gentleman. 

5 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I so like these older gentleman in this beautiful game. I could listen to Mac, Eric Steel, Cocu etc for ages. Compare them to bit younger generation we've had: Rowett, Pearson and Clement or even Clough. They are more or less arrogant and certainly not classy gentleman. 

Pearson is older than Clement, Rowett and Cocu!

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

I get what you mean, but isn't some of it just a case of being older having a bit more perspective? I know I'm marginally less of a nob than I once was.

3 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I get what you mean, but isn't some of it just a case of being older having a bit more perspective? I know I'm marginally less of a nob than I once was.

Definitely. Perspective is the thing, which I respect a lot. Unfortunately, it seem to lack from these thugs like Pearson or Roy Keane. That also tells it doens't come granted so good on you getting there ?

Archived