SBW Meets: Steve McClaren

On 26/04/2020 at 12:49, Dimmu said:

I so like these older gentleman in this beautiful game. I could listen to Mac, Eric Steel, Cocu etc for ages. Compare them to bit younger generation we've had: Rowett, Pearson and Clement or even Clough. They are more or less arrogant and certainly not classy gentleman. 

To be fair, McClaren was apparently talking to the club before Clough was sacked. That's something that Clough would never, ever do.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

To be fair, McClaren was apparently talking to the club before Clough was sacked. That's something that Clough would never, ever do.

True that. Can't see another club ever coming for Clough.

1 hour ago, Steve Bloomer's Washing said:

Just FYI, Part 2 of the podcast will be out first thing tomorrow morning. 

emma stone oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

Marvellous. Loved how he talked about Mel, no bitterness at all.

I predict part 2 is all about carpets, fun&laughter bars and his snake Casper. At any point did he sing "It's my hair island! "....

On 24/04/2020 at 13:27, David said:

Tell you what, that was a cracking interview. If this starts fresh calls for Mac 3 though I will personally hold you responsible.

Love fact he didn’t shy away from any question, acknowledging he didn’t handle the Newcastle speculation well and genuinely still sounds gutted over leaving Bryson out at Wembley.

Found it interesting he thought it was probably right to let Will Hughes go and sounded more impressed by Jeff Hendrick. 

Also to be sacked twice he couldn’t have been more complimentary about Mel as an owner which won’t be what some will like to hear, didn’t sound like there is any bitterness at all unlike previous managers.

Get part 2 up now, can’t leave us hanging like this!

Speaks highly of Mel ?

Two payouts might soften the 2 sackings a bit.

Destroy and exit. 

Brilliant interviews, perfectly done in terms of asking some difficult questions in a fair and approachable manner.

I like Steve even more after too. Think he was pretty humble and fully open to admitting things that went wrong and mistakes he made. Calling England job a fiasco and calling out his own inexperience was very honest.

Top guy and clearly loves Derby. Hopefully this lockdown goes on forever and we get loads more interviews. Mel would be interesting but think these sort of interviews are better after they are no longer involved, so can be more open. Probably too soon for the Keogh one!

Archived