Walking

angieram

What do people think about going out for a walk at the moment?

Since I have been working from home we have been out every day, always on foot (not driving to beauty spots). We stay on roads so we can cross over if we see anyone and only speak/wave to people across the road. 

Yet there is now an increasing groundswell of opinion on social media that this isn't the right thing to do.

I wondered what your opinions are on this? 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m surprised that the Police haven’t poured black dye all over the pavement to discourage you.

or stamped the words “non-essential” on your foreheads.

Since lockdown there seem to be a lot more people out and about where we live.

glad I bought the air rifle now.

I don’t agree with those that say you shouldn’t drive to exercise, so long as it’s local, so I certainly don’t think it’s wrong to exercise by walking or jogging.

The vast majority of people are being careful about social distancing and if everyone does that then the virus won’t spread. The mental and physical benefits to be out far outweigh any risks. 

I’m very fortunate with where I live, I can be in the woods on a lovely walk within two minutes of leaving my house. We have two dogs and although they are down to one walk a day now, we can be out for an hour and not see/pass anyone. 

On the rare occasion we do see other walkers we just pull to one side exchange brief pleasantries from a safe distance and carry on.

It’s good for our well being and it’s good for the dogs. The rules are not hard to understand and if you adhere to them I can’t see any problem with a walk a day.

13 minutes ago, angieram said:

Since I have been working from home we have been out every day, always on foot (not driving to beauty spots). We stay on roads so we can cross over if we see anyone and only speak/wave to people across the road. 

Yet there is now an increasing groundswell of opinion on social media that this isn't the right thing to do.

If you're only walking locally (no driving involved), abide by distancing rules and only walk with people you live with then that is absolutely fine regardless of what some may say on social media.

Driving a short distance (a mile or two) is a bit of a grey area and best avoided if you can.

Driving any real distance and/or to a popular site is definitely not acceptable.

Still walking my dog twice a day, although I live in a fairly quiet area and can keep a significant distance between myself and others.  I also go at quieter times - 6am and 6pm, but thats mostly down to my dog wanting his early morning walk and stupid o'clock!

If I lived somewhere more populated or had to visit a busy park I'd limit myself to once a day, but don't see the problem if you live somewhere more rural.

18 minutes ago, angieram said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding things, this seems to be bang in line with "The rules".  I think they advise 30 mins, once a day, and no more than two people (excluding those from the same household, I believe?).

So I for one won't be slagging you off!  

Having said that, as half of a couple that love the great outdoors, camping and hiking all year round, and cycling in the better weather, whilst of course we are now missing that side of life, we are both of the opinion that we'd prefer to stay isolated.  Prefer to find more mundane ways to get our exercise (Indoor exercise bike/cross trainer mainly... plus Muckerette has taken to following a Yoga video!)  

We last went hiking the weekend before any restrictions (Sunday 15/3?) up around Lathkill Dale.
I finished work on the afternoon of the first restrictions (Monday 23/3).  So 13 days at home now is it? 
I did Morrisons last Tuesday, and don't expect to go again this coming week.  Other than taking the bins out, that's the only time I've been outside of the front gate, and the only time I've started the car up.  Muckerette has nipped to the post office (She has a small on-line business, requiring items to be despatched.) on each of the last two Tuesdays (20min walk there and back).  
That's all we've been out, but that's personal choice.
We're also very lucky that we like nothing more than enjoying each others company!

Family have been accessible by 'phone/Facetime etc.

Admittedly we've been busy doing garden based chores, (bar a trip to the garden centre for new plants, of course) and as the sun appears to be coming out today, at least we can now get the bikes out this afternoon (I've rigged up a pair of frames to turn the proper bikes into "outdoor exercise bikes!) and enjoy a half decent garden.

How long this approach can last though, is anyone's guess!  

Go for it... enjoy... and stop feeling guilty!

xxx

Sith Happens

I don't see an issue. We have just got back from our walk. Stuck to the roads and crossed over when we saw someone. I think common sense should prevail, saw a few people out but not enough to cause an issue with keeping apart.

Sadly as i-Ram says we might not be able to if selfish morons can't just stick to the rules.

'Meanwhile, Lambeth Council in south London said Brockwell Park would be closed on Sunday after more than 3,000 people spent the day there sunbathing or in large groups on Saturday.'

And this -

I went out running every day before the Coronavirus outbreak about 3 miles a day in the week and 5 or 6 at weekends and still do - there's no issue at all. I normally do a mixture of park and street running, it's been heartening to observe that if someone sees me approaching if it's before I cross over the road then they move away to maintain social distance. 

It's mainly dog walkers I encounter as usually run first thing in the morning or in the evening.

Go for it, as long as you're sensible about it which am sure you are it's not an issue and a great way of keeping fit and getting out of the house to break the day up if you're not going to work.

12 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I don't see an issue. We have just got back from our walk. Stuck to the roads and crossed over when we saw someone. I think common sense should prevail, saw a few people out but not enough to cause an issue with keeping apart.

Sadly as i-Ram says we might not be able to if selfish morons can't just stick to the rules.

'Meanwhile, Lambeth Council in south London said Brockwell Park would be closed on Sunday after more than 3,000 people spent the day there sunbathing or in large groups on Saturday.'

And this -

This is the issue many of the population haven't got two brain cells in their head.

I know i am one of the lucky ones (i still have to out to work responsibly of course).

But also as a family we are taking care of 2 80+ relatives both who in the last year have been in hospital for Health Issues so the amount of care and pre-planning is hard to work.

People who are fit and healthy should do their daily exercise, some of the things driving about make me wonder.

The very first day of restrictions at 7'ish in the morning i saw 3 circa 14 year olds playing football in the local park.

And later that day i saw 4-5 year old boy playing on his scooter on his own on the street, his parents couldn't have been within a hundred yards of him by the location he was at.

Find it strange the number of people that seem to have taken up exercise.

Imagine alot of people who all of a sudden  want to exercise daily are the same people that have sat there glued to mobile phones and electronics prior to this. 

Suppose it's a good thing but I imagine when lockdown is over a number of people will mysteriously lose their love of exercising.

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I really don't see the problem with it if you're being sensible like you describe. Why do people oppose this? I'm struggling coming up with anything negative about it.

We do exactly the same. That is exactly government guidance. 

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Imagine alot of people who all of a sudden  want to exercise daily are the same people that have sat there glued to mobile phones and electronics prior to this. 

Suppose it's a good thing but I imagine when lockdown is over a number of people will mysteriously lose their love of exercising.

Is that by personal observation or through the replies of members on here.

It could be that folks who were happy to go and pay to spend time in a sweaty gym are now being displaced outdoors. 

I've heard similar comments from friends that they've never seen so many people outdoors walking or running when they're exercising their dog. 

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

As a counter argument, I've seen a few new joggers around the areas I walk my dog in (and not people taking up jogging to get out of the house, but people that already look fairly fit).  Could we be seeing more people out jogging now cos the gym's are shut?  

Exercise outside the home could be banned if people ignore the lockdown rules on staying at home and social distancing, the health secretary said.
Matt Hancock told the BBC's Andrew Marr that the government would "take action" if further measures are needed to bring the coronavirus under control.
It comes after reports of groups of people gathering in parks during sunny weather this weekend.

Mr Hancock said: "If you don't want us to have to take the step to ban exercise of all forms outside of your own home, then you've got to follow the rules."
The health secretary said the vast majority were sticking to the guidelines, adding: "Let's not have a minority spoil it for everybody."
He said the timing of restrictions being lifted would depend on how people behave, adding that "the more people stay at home the less the virus will spread". 

Speaking to Sky's Sophy Ridge earlier, Mr Hancock said sunbathing in public spaces was against the government's coronavirus social distancing rules.

As a counter to Matt Hancock saying further measures could be taken and outside exercise banned, Angela Rayner has said the following;

Asked whether she agreed with Mr Hancock, Labour's newly-elected deputy leader Angela Rayner told Sky's Sophy Ridge: "It's alright for people who have got big houses and huge back gardens to say that.

"But actually if you're stuck in inadequate accommodation, you've got no back garden, you've got nowhere to go and you're all on top of each other, quite literally, then I think people should do social distancing and should keep their distance but also be reasonable and proportionate about that."

As an example of this check out the video at the top of the following article on Sky News.  Yes there are some idiots in it but especially take note from 58s onwards - people at a park sitting a good distance from each other with a big block of flats in the background.  Are we effectively going to try and lock people up in tiny flats that have no access to the outdoors?  

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-parks-busy-despite-lockdown-as-many-head-out-to-enjoy-the-sun-11968675

I agree we have to clamp down on the idiots, but you can't lock people up 24/7 without consequences.

Archived