£20m Championship Salary Cap

Abu Derby

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Tombo said:

They'll have to sell players when they come down, or start introducing wage reduction clauses on relegation. Which causes issues because it makes it harder for bottom PL clubs to compete with the top end.

You're right but, isn't that why the parachute payments were introduced - to prevent relegated clubs from immediately having to sell players or reduce their wages as soon as they were relegated?

A salary cap will further widen the gap between the Championship and the Premier League, and stop talent coming down a division. We’ve seen more “Premier League players” drop down a level over the years and it’s improved the quality of the football no end. 

Also think this is laughable given we’ve signed Wayne Rooney this season. Wonder if something like that would’ve possible with the introduction of a salary cap..!

We must be in serious trouble if we’re doing a 180. 

7 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Whichever way you look at it FFP( or whatever it's packaged as atm) is not fit for purpose or working. The players and their greedy agents have milked the golden goose to the max. Is this latest idea the answer? Why not, give it a go I say. Something has to change before it all implodes.  

Isn't that a mixed metaphor ? wouldn't you milk the golden cow or eat the golden egg from the goose. 

Anyway fair point lol 

51 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

This stinks of hypocrisy for me.

As much as I agree with the idea, we were not interested when we were trying to buy our way out of the division but now that has failed we want a salary cap?!

Nothing to do with us what other teams are spending as long as they are not breaking rules.

By all means impose a salary cap at our club, and why not go further by extending it to an individual salary cap, but keep our nose out of what other teams are doing, none of our business.

Not sure it is hypocritical, my bet is it’s motivated by a desire to simplify the whole clusterfxck that is ffp at the moment?

Just now, Archied said:

Not sure it is hypocritical, my bet is it’s motivated by a desire to simplify the whole clusterfxck that is ffp at the moment?

Its completely hypocritical.

We tried to buy our way out of the division with a ridiculous way bill.

Now we have realised it is unsustainable for us, we want everyone else to have a lower wage bill.

None of our business what other people spend on wages.

Just change the rules to this;

Owners can put any amount of money into the club they wish.

Put a limit on the amount of debt an owner is allowed to accrue at a club for mortgages/loans.

Limit the amount of money an owner can take out of the club each year.

Put in place a rule where if an owner is shown to be stripping a club of assets, like Orient, Chesterfield etc, the EFL/FA can step in.

Finally, if an owner breaks the rules, fine the owner massively or ban from football.

Stop punishing the paying fans, for the mistakes of reckless idiots.

I think a salary cap would be an excellent idea. Despite the huge amounts of money in the Premier League the gap between the bottom teams and the top of the Championship has not noticeably widened. Ultimately the players that are not good enough in the Prem will either have to go abroad or work in the Championship. The record of English players abroad is pretty awful so I cannot see a great demand for them elsewhere. 

Premier League clubs could be forced to introduce relegation clauses that reduce wages in the wake of relegation to help reduce their wage bills to comply with the salary cap.

Just now, BathRam72 said:

I might have dreamt this, but wasnt part of the potential punishment decided against whether a club is seen to be doing something to combat FFP. Maybe this is Derby doing something positive to get the potential punishment reduced 

That's the same syndrome though, why would be look to be on your best behaviour before you have been found of doing any wrongdoing 

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Its completely hypocritical.

We tried to buy our way out of the division with a ridiculous way bill.

Now we have realised it is unsustainable for us, we want everyone else to have a lower wage bill.

None of our business what other people spend on wages.

You could view it that way or could also view it that we did the same as lots of clubs have and still do and risked the boom or bust , the whole thing is a mess since the premiership formed and is getting worse year on year wtf is wrong or hypocritical about proposing ,or trying to find a agreement on a way forward that can help everybody ? 
seems to me we can pretty much tar most clubs with the same brush from Boro to us to foxes to qpr to weds ect ect ect so lets just say there’s no way forward as nobody has any right to propose anything?

6 minutes ago, Archied said:

You could view it that way or could also view it that we did the same as lots of clubs have and still do and risked the boom or bust , the whole thing is a mess since the premiership formed and is getting worse year on year wtf is wrong or hypocritical about proposing ,or trying to find a agreement on a way forward that can help everybody ? 
seems to me we can pretty much tar most clubs with the same brush from Boro to us to foxes to qpr to weds ect ect ect so lets just say there’s no way forward as nobody has any right to propose anything?

FFP has already been introduced. 

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

FFP has already been introduced. 

Jeez, you think it’s working ? even the efl can’t fathom how it works , they think they do then along comes I’ve spunked it Gibson and sues them for not knowing , you can then bet Derby and a few others will do the same if they please Gibson , they are like the bloke in the sketch on the fast show coming up with answers that are picked apart then moving to the next one to be pulled apart, but hey if you think it’s all good then fine Derby are just hypocrites 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

This stinks of hypocrisy for me.

As much as I agree with the idea, we were not interested when we were trying to buy our way out of the division but now that has failed we want a salary cap?!

Nothing to do with us what other teams are spending as long as they are not breaking rules.

By all means impose a salary cap at our club, and why not go further by extending it to an individual salary cap, but keep our nose out of what other teams are doing, none of our business.

I hate to admit it but your so correct. we need to concentrate on ourselfs first. But cant help but feel this is very twisted from the daily fail

In 2015 £170 million in parachute payments was shared between 10 Championship clubs. This season £235 million was shared between 6 clubs. It is only going to increase, allowing these clubs to spend what they want. Have any of the relegated teams sold any players of note?

If anything, we are only guilty of trying every season to compete with these clubs for the last 6 years. This is literally and figuratively costing us this season, as I feel any squad we have had over the last 6 seasons would be in with a shout of top 2. 

Archived