£20m Championship Salary Cap

Abu Derby

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the Monika Abu @Abu Derby not surprised that the rest of the championship want transgressors to be punished first, although not sure why the two cannot run side by side.  We have a situation within football especially the championship where clubs are found guilty by their peers and regulators before a hearing takes place. 

so the article should read that Derby, Weds and Brum have their hearings into FFP concluded before a salary cap is discussed. We are often called Wayne Rooney Derby ( formally known as Frank Lampard Derby) is the championship now being called Steve Gibson’s Championship??????? 

The absolute irony of that? Surely that can’t be true. Whether we’re punished for FFP or not, we’ve certainly not exactly been restrictive in our wages? Can see why other clubs would be a bit pissed, throwing stones from glass houses and all that.

As an aside, it’s a terrible idea if it’s true whichever way up. Just like with FFP, owners should be allowed to spend what they want. These markets restrictions won’t be good for championship football. Players will just move elsewhere if they can’t get the wages here.

10 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The Daily Fail reported this so why are people getting hung up on the content. 

I would imagine the only true part of this story was Derby putting forward a proposal for a salary cap and the remainder of the story twisted to fit their own agenda. 

Telegraph reported it first without names, whatever the implications of that are 

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

The absolute irony of that? Surely that can’t be true. Whether we’re punished for FFP or not, we’ve certainly not exactly been restrictive in our wages? Can see why other clubs would be a bit pissed, throwing stones from glass houses and all that.

As an aside, it’s a terrible idea if it’s true whichever way up. Just like with FFP, owners should be allowed to spend what they want. These markets restrictions won’t be good for championship football. Players will just move elsewhere if they can’t get the wages here.

The greatest irony of all is that Tom Glick was the one who pushed for FFP when we didn’t have money to spend 

This stinks of hypocrisy for me.

As much as I agree with the idea, we were not interested when we were trying to buy our way out of the division but now that has failed we want a salary cap?!

Nothing to do with us what other teams are spending as long as they are not breaking rules.

By all means impose a salary cap at our club, and why not go further by extending it to an individual salary cap, but keep our nose out of what other teams are doing, none of our business.

It’s a good idea - in fact it’s essential - but what hypocrites we are.

our wage bill was up to £45m and we are paying Rooney mega-money. 

A maximum wage in championship of 20k a week would make more sense. 

23 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The Daily Fail reported this so why are people getting hung up on the content. 

I would imagine the only true part of this story was Derby putting forward a proposal for a salary cap and the remainder of the story twisted to fit their own agenda. 

The Telegraph says Derby was one of the clubs supporting the cap, but no decision confirmed because of the impending FFP cases and because no agreement yet on the actual figure for the cap, but it looks a cap will be introduced..

1 minute ago, MikeS said:

The Telegraph says Derby was one of the clubs supporting the cap, but no decision confirmed because of the impending FFP cases and because no agreement yet on the actual figure for the cap, but it looks a cap will be introduced..

I don't see the link between the other clubs being able to agree Derbys proposal for a salary cap and the outcome of Derbys et al EFL investigation

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Not sure how that would work with relegated clubs and their parachute payments.

They'll have to sell players when they come down, or start introducing wage reduction clauses on relegation. Which causes issues because it makes it harder for bottom PL clubs to compete with the top end.

I don't think we're being hypocrites, I think the point is that we've had to compete and spend money to keep up with the league. All teams have this problem unless we agree to even the playing field.

On reflection, maybe the answer to the relegated club issue is that if you've got high earners that will take you over the cap, you just don't register them in the squad for the league and therefore they are not eligible to play.

Archived