Coronavirus

1of4

5 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

Looks interesting. Some of their classifications look a bit off though. They've got the Mirror as centrist (less left-leaning than the Independent and Guardian), and the Telegraph only slightly right-leaning!

Thanks for the heads up though ?

I thought that about The Mirror but The Mirror is all over the place and seems to have little editorial direction from what I, albeit occasionally, read.

And yeh I agree on The Telegraph although they have slated the government lately over Brexit so I wonder if they average out editorials. I honestly don't know.  I'd put The Guardian left of The Independent too.

40 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Looks like a good concept, although a shame it's mainly US-based stories (as US media is a total bin fire)

UK-centric version would be good. Although I suspect it would be used more to illustrate how biased towards the right-wing our papers are, rather than people using it to get a more balanced view of news !

The US suffers from a lack of national coverage because it's so big but there are good local papers even if the NYT has gone downhill.

TBF, I hadn't noticed it was US-centric, but that maybe because I tend to read US news as I still feel like I have a vested interest. 

Hopefully once Biden is in and things came down I can focus on where I now live.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Most journalists use (or did, that could be changing now) WhatsApp because of its end to end encryption.

I cannot see the name of the reporter so I'm not sure who you are referring to. But in this particular report they have quoted Medical Director Prof Adrian Harris, by name.

I'm not sure how you corrupt that without a potential legal case.

However, you stack it up the pressure the Royal Devon is under is directly because of Covid, yet G Stars mate seems to think it's business as usual. 

Anyway, thanks for jumping in, it's always interesting to get news from somebody closer to the action.

I meant source as in Devon live, not the individual, my mistake for lack of clarity.

There's various posters questioning how busy NHS hospitals have been during this pandemic.

Well going by todays vote in Parliament and the number of conservative MPs that voted against keeping the NHS out of any future trade deal negotiations.

Posters in years to come won't have to query the state of the NHS, as we may no loner have a NHS to worry about in the future.

15 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

There's various posters questioning how busy NHS hospitals have been during this pandemic.

Well going by todays vote in Parliament and the number of conservative MPs that voted against keeping the NHS out of any future trade deal negotiations.

Posters in years to come won't have to query the state of the NHS, as we may no loner have a NHS to worry about in the future.

We won't need a NHS soon, over 1800 deaths soon.

18 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

We won't need a NHS soon, over 1800 deaths soon.

Possibly, but from the BBC...

"Just under half of the newly reported deaths occurred on Tuesday, while a further quarter took place on Monday or Sunday with the remainder last week or even earlier."

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

"Just under half of the newly reported deaths occurred on Tuesday, while a further quarter took place on Monday or Sunday with the remainder last week or even earlier."

Is this a once a week catch up or is this the same every day ?

16 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

That's why the rolling average figures are the important ones. It prevents silly cherry-picking to a certain extent.

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

You'd think the media would report 7 day averages.

Some do - even the BBC do. Saying that, the increase in deaths was widely predicted, to the extent that they were gift-wrapped with a bow and a "Merry Christmas" label attached.

BBC news reporting that Derby Royal is struggling to cope with the amount of coronavirus cases and may have to transfer patients to other hospitals. One nurse that was interviewed said all the staff have been working extra shifts and it was upsetting when they see protesters outside the hospital claiming there was no pandemic.

If I was in charge of the hospital, I'd invite these protesting dheads in for a tour around the wards to see all the patients with the virus. I wonder how many would take the offer up and how many would be asking for PPE, before entering the building?

32 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

BBC news reporting that Derby Royal is struggling to cope with the amount of coronavirus cases and may have to transfer patients to other hospitals. One nurse that was interviewed said all the staff have been working extra shifts and it was upsetting when they see protesters outside the hospital claiming there was no pandemic.

If I was in charge of the hospital, I'd invite these protesting dheads in for a tour around the wards to see all the patients with the virus. I wonder how many would take the offer up and how many would be asking for PPE, before entering the building?

Exactly this.  

Just run the numbers for the last 7 days:

8,924 deaths in the last 7 days giving an average daily mortality rate of 1,275. There have now been 93,290 UK Covid deaths from 3,505,754 recorded infections which corresponds to just over 2.66 fatalities for every 100 people infected. 

Grim AF.

5 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

8,924 deaths in the last 7 days giving an average daily mortality rate of 1,275. There have now been 93,290 UK Covid deaths from 3,505,754 recorded infections which corresponds to just over 2.66 fatalities for every 100 people infected. 

Grim AF.

There were people on here recently disputing my figures, still trying to claim that the death toll was < 0.1%. Well, as far as today's figures are concerned, it would already be a minimum of 0.15% if every single person in the United Kingdom had already contracted the virus.

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Grim AF.

Know 12 people who've had this now- two sadly passed away.  One in his 40's, the other 52 . Another in an induced coma for 3 days now -56. Just read about a memorial at Forest for a paramedic who died -46. There's a change in this thing based on my experience.  It seems to be more aggressive than it was. Very worrying. 

6 hours ago, 1of4 said:

What silly bstrd protests outside a hospital?

7 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Grim AF.

Not that it makes it much less grim but that is from recorded cases only.

Think its pretty safe to say that the number is much lower.

9 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Quite worrying, especially for us at most risk.

Bet your mates had wished they had stuck to the rules now @G STAR RAM??

Archived