Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Im sure a lot of people would say that about their jobs.

Im sure they would rather see the thanks in their pay packet.

I totally feel that way.

1 minute ago, uttoxram75 said:

It’s common practice.

Our place insists track and trace is disabled once in the factory  

You can’t have your phone on you in production areas anyway,but you have to disable in locker rooms, canteens, smoke areas etc.

On what grounds can they insist this?

Or what reason do they give?

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

On what grounds can they insist this?

Or what reason do they give?

On the grounds that you should be wearing masks in locker rooms and for a minimum time and distanced in canteen, so any track and trace would cause too many to be off work !

17 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What do you mean by above and beyond what is expected?

Working without adequate Ppe, covering extra shifts due to staff shortage on top of the extra shifts they are already doing, isolating from their own families in order to safely carry out care, sleeping in tents and caravans outside care homes, caring for the critically ill with no previous critical care experience, watching more people die in a week than many see die in an entire career etc etc

And why do they need extra mental health support?

Many frontline workers are now unfortunately suffering from PTSD along with anxiety and depression, covid has taken it’s toll on the mental health of those in the firing line.

Im guessing from a few of your posts that you work in the NHS and have first hand experience?

From a family of NHS doctors and nurses. I’m the only child that didn’t follow the family tradition. Joined the Navy instead. 

4 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Typical public service parasites all of you. Try doing a proper job in the private sector like me! Mucking about on a computer all day.

Felt bad for my brothers this week, they have both been moved away from home to different nhs trusts to cover for staff shortages.

Whilst I’ve been live firing a .50cal machine gun from the back of helicopter having a whale of a time. 

33 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

Working without adequate Ppe, covering extra shifts due to staff shortage on top of the extra shifts they are already doing, isolating from their own families in order to safely carry out care, sleeping in tents and caravans outside care homes, caring for the critically ill with no previous critical care experience, watching more people die in a week than many see die in an entire career etc etc

Many frontline workers are now unfortunately suffering from PTSD along with anxiety and depression, covid has taken it’s toll on the mental health of those in the firing line.

From a family of NHS doctors and nurses. I’m the only child that didn’t follow the family tradition. Joined the Navy instead. 

Fair enough on the first paragraph although its fair to say that most of the country have had to isolate from their families.

I think about the number of people they have seen die is a huge exaggeration, we know that 20,000 have died in care homes and I think the 30,000 across all of the hospitals in the country will mean there havent actually been that many per hospital, I may be wrong there though.

Is there any information on the frontline workers suffering PTSD? Terrible condition which led to my best friend attempting to take his own life.

Fair to say that I got your job wildly wrong!

1 hour ago, Mark of Ayrshire said:

Me and my wife both fall in the “key worker” bracket, neither of us do our jobs for any reason other than to provide for our family and pay bills. I always find if you can’t or won’t do the job there are a lot of others who gladly will and that’s fine by me

Agree with every word. Well said. 

I have made this point, me and the missus are both key workers as are lots of our families, and it's just what you have to do, no way would we be at work if we won the lottery @sage

My sister in law is a self employed hairdresser, and not a chance would I swap with her. I feel lucky to have a job, the real people who need rewarding are those sitting by watching their businesses going down the tubes.

3 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Agree with every word. Well said. 

I have made this point, me and the missus are both key workers as are lots of our families, and it's just what you have to do, no way would we be at work if we won the lottery @sage

My sister in law is a self employed hairdresser, and not a chance would I swap with her. I feel lucky to have a job, the real people who need rewarding are those sitting by watching their businesses going down the tubes.

Not sure what this has to do with me?

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

I'm sure you would vote for tax rises to pay them more.

Id have no problem with a tax increase to properly fund the NHS...if I thought it was required. 

Before that though I'd try and make it more efficient, educate the public to utilise the NHS properly, and divert funds from other undeserving causes.

If all of these failed then I would have no problem with tax increases.

Just to add to the debate. I've heard rumours we will be in the first round of vaccines. 

A quick chat with my colleagues suggests many won't have it unless it is mandatory. 

Which led to the debate of whether we would be forced to have it to continue working. Who knows what that answer will be when the time comes. 

11 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Just in response to your suggestion that key workers should be rewarded. Having a job is reward enough in my opinion. 

It was a by product of having a vaccine jab. My initial thought was for the elderly, of whom many already struggle with loneliness and have been shielding for so long. Obviously many key workers will receive a vaccine jab early too.   

41 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Fair enough on the first paragraph although its fair to say that most of the country have had to isolate from their families.

Yeah it’s sad so many have been separated. I’m used to it, main reason I have an ex wife and not a wife!! 

I’m referring more to mothers and fathers being away from their school aged and younger kids more than anything else. 

I think about the number of people they have seen die is a huge exaggeration, we know that 20,000 have died in care homes and I think the 30,000 across all of the hospitals in the country will mean there havent actually been that many per hospital, I may be wrong there though.

Lots of them have witnessed people passing away before, some nurses and doctors deal with it all the time.

Loads of the nurses were students and loads were from outside critical care and trauma, they used every nurse they had available in the hard hit hospitals.

The rate of which people were passing away and the manner in which they passed away in the first wave was horrific. The speed that covid hit the hospitals was frightening. 

The headlines of nurses in tears outside of hospitals was not made up or exaggerated. They aren’t Hollywood super heroes, they are just normal folk doing an extraordinary job with minimal complaints. Most of them know a colleague that has been taken before time also. 

They have never witnessed this kind of stuff first hand, many weren’t and still aren’t trained for this role.

The scenes were pretty horrific. It was as close to war as many of them will ever see. 

We have to remember that covid-19 is hitting different areas and hospitals at different times and in different amounts.  People look at the overall hospital capacity figures and deaths etc and think it ain’t that bad, for some hospitals it’s been fine, others though are taking a hell of a battering.

This wave they are doing it all on top of elective services whilst playing catch up to boot. The myth that the NHS isn’t working at capacity is false. They are working at capacity given what they are dealing with. They don’t want any preventable deaths to happen if they can help it.

Is there any information on the frontline workers suffering PTSD? Terrible condition which led to my best friend attempting to take his own life.

Yes, lots of details, especially in things like the nursing times and main stream media. We will unfortunately hear more about it for a while yet. The nhs has set up lots of new mental health services for its own staff. 

Fair to say that I got your job wildly wrong!

What did you think I did? Would be fun to know.

29 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Id have no problem with a tax increase to properly fund the NHS...if I thought it was required. 

Before that though I'd try and make it more efficient, educate the public to utilise the NHS properly, and divert funds from other undeserving causes.

If all of these failed then I would have no problem with tax increases.

The issue with NHS funding is that their funding model has actually been a real World decrease over the course of the last decade or so. The issue isn't 'efficiency', and a lot of the complaints about 'efficiency' is basically people trying to make it less efficient by sacking personnel involved in allowing it to be efficient. 

22 minutes ago, Norman said:

Just to add to the debate. I've heard rumours we will be in the first round of vaccines. 

A quick chat with my colleagues suggests many won't have it unless it is mandatory. 

Which led to the debate of whether we would be forced to have it to continue working. Who knows what that answer will be when the time comes. 

Regardless of it being mandatory or not, it would be pretty selfish to not get a pandemic ending vaccine when the time comes. People lives and livelihoods are being ruined. Anything we can do to end that as soon as possible should occur. Vaccines are on the whole safe, and when the vaccines role around, they'll have been tested to the same standard as others. Even if you assume that this is the most dangerous vaccine ever to be given the green light after this testing, it will still be orders of magnitude less dangerous than the disease itself. 

2 hours ago, jimmyp said:

Felt bad for my brothers this week, they have both been moved away from home to different nhs trusts to cover for staff shortages.

Whilst I’ve been live firing a .50cal machine gun from the back of helicopter having a whale of a time. 

Rear gunner in the Navy. Me and my mates salute you JimmyP.

hail caesar sailor GIF

Archived