Coronavirus

1of4

7 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

From JCVI 

Risk groups

There’s ongoing work within the UK to refine the identification of persons at risk of serious disease and mortality from COVID-19 infection. As well as age and underlying co-morbid conditions, the committee notes that early signals have been identified of other potential risk factors, including deprivation and ethnicity. As more evidence on at-risk groups emerges, this work will inform the review of the composition, and order of priority, of groups for vaccination. Any programme will need to ensure every effort is made to get good coverage in black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) groups, in areas of higher socio-economic deprivation, and in areas with outbreaks or high levels of community transmission.

Cheers jimmy , as I’m sure you probably know I’m happy to be last in line for any vaccine, hypothetically if there turned out to be any problems with vaccine could it be divisive if the elderly and bame were first in line to be given it?

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Archied said:

Really ? ????,  So the whole thread is silly as we don’t get to decide or just the bits when we get down to the nitty gritty and challenge one of the most ardent posters regards challenging others ? ,, come on Albert you stated the close to zero ,,, how close to zero is acceptable in your opinion to change tack and not be a granny killer ?

OK. I'll try to answer your question. 17.

It's a meaningless question. How close to zero? There's not a magic figure that means we can all go back to living life without worrying about Coronavirus.

It's about confidence in the systems around it. We have a very prevalent virus throughout the population and no plan to reduce it. The only tool we have to reduce it is lockdown. As you know reading on here, they are very blunt tools which cause anger and resentment. Nobody enjoys lockdown, despite what people here say.

We needed a better test and trace system. We needed better adherence to rules. We needed clearer guidance from senior figures. We needed faith that the country leaders were in it with us, and not swanning off to Barnard Castle, or shaking hands with Covid patients.

All far too late now. 

Frankly, we need a vaccine in this country now. I don't think we can get the numbers down without a miracle. Hopefully the vaccine is as effective as we have been told it could be and hopefully the antivaxxer message is drowned out by open, honest guidance from medical experts talking plain language sense about how vaccines will be the answer.

Lockdown can't be the only tool we can use. I think we all agree with that. We could have managed it differently - other countries did. I'm confident a different approach could have worked. Now it's too late.

21 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

OK. I'll try to answer your question. 17.

It's a meaningless question. How close to zero? There's not a magic figure that means we can all go back to living life without worrying about Coronavirus.

It's about confidence in the systems around it. We have a very prevalent virus throughout the population and no plan to reduce it. The only tool we have to reduce it is lockdown. As you know reading on here, they are very blunt tools which cause anger and resentment. Nobody enjoys lockdown, despite what people here say.

We needed a better test and trace system. We needed better adherence to rules. We needed clearer guidance from senior figures. We needed faith that the country leaders were in it with us, and not swanning off to Barnard Castle, or shaking hands with Covid patients.

All far too late now. 

Frankly, we need a vaccine in this country now. I don't think we can get the numbers down without a miracle. Hopefully the vaccine is as effective as we have been told it could be and hopefully the antivaxxer message is drowned out by open, honest guidance from medical experts talking plain language sense about how vaccines will be the answer.

Lockdown can't be the only tool we can use. I think we all agree with that. We could have managed it differently - other countries did. I'm confident a different approach could have worked. Now it's too late.

Decent reply , lots I agree with Bits I’m not sold on yet but time will tell , that said I don’t believe it’s unfair to ask the question of Albert when his stated position is cases close to zero before we can return to normal life,, there are lots of tough questions around this whole situation and lots of tough decisions to be made

1 hour ago, sage said:

Not forever, but whilst this virus is controlled by vaccine distribution, it would make sense to allow some freedoms to people who have suffered the most.

What is the alternative? 

No one is allowed in?

Everyone is allowed in?

You seem to like to moan at everything anyone else says but offer nothing as an alternative.   

Why have key workers suffered the most?

Haven't they just been going to work and doing their job?

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Woo hoo. I managed to get a Tesco delivery for 23 December.

We can share a sprout on Christmas Day.

Such is the benefit of being on the 'vulnerable' list

Knock yourself out, have a sprout each,  its Christmas afterall. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Sprouts are Satan's clagnuts. I traditionally have one on Christmas day, choose the smallest and swallow it whole.

No no no. I could eat a plate of sprouts. Yum.

1 minute ago, ketteringram said:

This vaccination program,is going to be a huge undertaking. Trouble is, if it ends up only being effective for a few months, it'll just be neverending. 

That's fine though,  we do it with flu every year.

17 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

They've done a great job and most are underpaid.

To suggest they have suffered the most though and should be given special privileges doesn't seem right to me.

Me and my wife both fall in the “key worker” bracket, neither of us do our jobs for any reason other than to provide for our family and pay bills. I always find if you can’t or won’t do the job there are a lot of others who gladly will and that’s fine by me

12 minutes ago, Archied said:

Not on anything like the scale of this one

9 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Any idea how many get that jab?

true but the concept is there. 30 million this year I think

Plus once the virus is not as prevalent maybe they won't feel its needed in all the population. 

I'm guessing of course but maybe it might even become part of the flu jab.

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Cheers jimmy , as I’m sure you probably know I’m happy to be last in line for any vaccine, hypothetically if there turned out to be any problems with vaccine could it be divisive if the elderly and bame were first in line to be given it?

Fortunately we have volunteers that have signed up for clinical trials to ensure that never happens. 

48 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why have key workers suffered the most?

Haven't they just been going to work and doing their job?

Loads of them have gone well above and beyond what is expected of them.

The nurses and care workers should be rewarded with the pay rise they deserve. That and the extra mental health support many of them now need. 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

They've done a great job and most are underpaid.

To suggest they have suffered the most though and should be given special privileges doesn't seem right to me.

Maybe it could be as a thanks, especially as many of them do vital jobs that are underpaid?

28 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

Loads of them have gone well above and beyond what is expected of them.

The nurses and care workers should be rewarded with the pay rise they deserve. That and the extra mental health support many of them now need. 

What do you mean by above and beyond what is expected?

And why do they need extra mental health support?

Im guessing from a few of your posts that you work in the NHS and have first hand experience?

5 hours ago, jimmyp said:

Jaguar Land Rover workers have slammed the car manufacturer after it emerged staff had been ordered to switch off the NHS Test and Trace app before their shifts.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/jaguar-land-rover-accused-putting-19309642

Madness!

It’s common practice.

Our place insists track and trace is disabled once in the factory  

You can’t have your phone on you in production areas anyway,but you have to disable in locker rooms, canteens, smoke areas etc.

Archived