Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Archied said:

Here’s my problem with that , 

we have reported deaths through the roof ( make your own minds up as that’s a lottery) , we have the whole country on lock down , other serious death causing disease treatments at almost stand still and this clown believes we need audacious target to FOCUS MINDS????

you couldn’t make this shat up, we really need these clowns don’t we 

Perhaps he should have just said we need to increase testing to the highest level we can then. I don't remember exactly what he said but if he did say focusing minds he meant on increasing testing - only one element of dealing with this crisis. 

Would that have satisfied you?

2 hours ago, Archied said:

Here’s my problem with that , 

we have reported deaths through the roof ( make your own minds up as that’s a lottery) , we have the whole country on lock down , other serious death causing disease treatments at almost stand still and this clown believes we need audacious target to FOCUS MINDS????

you couldn’t make this shat up, we really need these clowns don’t we 

Completely disagree with your statement. 

Targets will always focus people. Regardless of the tragedies happening globally right now, I’ve got no problem with the Health Sec working on a short term plan to massively increase testing. 

Also - the media constantly ask for dates and numbers because when they’ve been missed it’s easy content for the media and when they’ve been hit, the media will find a different angle to criticise from.

On testing I think the Government is doing an incredible job and I applaud them massively for this. Let’s not forget, testing is actually down to thousands of individuals around the country, just normal people who are getting out and providing these services.

5 hours ago, Uptherams said:

I've had a look. One post removed is where I highlight how I had to fool them into agreeing what the graphic i posted actually showed ?

What we all agreed on was that you didn't understand either the data or the time frame of the chart that you yourself posted, as you well know. I'm not even convinced that you even understood NYC data was not included ?‍♂️

Trying to pretend that you were wrong on purpose just adds to the hilarity. Literally nobody is buying the yarn you're trying to sell ?

32 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Completely disagree with your statement. 

Targets will always focus people. Regardless of the tragedies happening globally right now, I’ve got no problem with the Health Sec working on a short term plan to massively increase testing. 

Also - the media constantly ask for dates and numbers because when they’ve been missed it’s easy content for the media and when they’ve been hit, the media will find a different angle to criticise from.

On testing I think the Government is doing an incredible job and I applaud them massively for this. Let’s not forget, testing is actually down to thousands of individuals around the country, just normal people who are getting out and providing these services.

Agree. @Archied seems not to realise that targets do focus minds and are meant to. A target is a goal that we are aiming to reach. But targets don’t just tell us what we are aiming for – they let us measure the distance by which we fall short, and the amount of work we need to do to make it up.

You need to have a target in order to judge whether you are making improvements. 

so what do we think will happen next? What is this ‘new normal’ going to be like?  

I think it’s going to be a very long haul. 

Summer is coming and the lockdown surely won’t survive the promise of sunshine, beaches and the pull of the great outdoors. The gun wavers and the non-conformists will get their wish. So there will be a second peak and maybe a third. And the second peak could be bigger than the first.
We need stats we can rely on. Even with lockdown the apparent number of cases in Derbyshire has quadrupled. But how many of the 1200 confirmed cases are still actively infected. we need better information on who is infected; who is therefore at risk of infection; and who is safe. So we need targeted testing. the problem with the testing was not just the availability of the testing kits, but the capacity of the testing labs. Fudging the figures on testing by counting the number of kits issued is utterly pointless. What matters is the capability of the labs to deliver the results before the infection has spread. A quicker test is almost as important as a vaccine or an antibody serum. Testing will inevitably be targeted on those at risk,  not for their benefit, but to protect everyone else from virus carriers who will have to be isolated.

how do we contain the active cases and those they come into contact with, when social mobility is bound to increase. What is the the logic in continuing to let people into the country without a system of checks, health-passports or quarantine. With this open door, beating the virus is virtually impossible. And without masks there will be too much transmission. So let’s admit that and do something about it.

Therefore it makes no sense to talk about beating the virus or even dafter “to wrestle it to the floor”. The virus is here to stay and will do its thing in this relentless slow burn fashion for the foreseeable future. Our new refrigerated morgue near Hilton will be busy over the summer as the virus continues to take out the weak, the vulnerable, and those who battled in the front line public services.

There will enormous social and economic fall out. Businesses will suffer mass extinction if they rely on leisure spend. It’s a very bleak picture. I wish it wasn’t. 

Rolls Royce and co are gearing up for job losses and so the economic impact will hit this region soon. All those industries which are directly or indirectly associated with the leisure and travel are going to go tits up. 
without draconian new measures or new scientific wizardry it will surely be a very long haul.

I’m backing the wizards. It will be the scientists and medical industries who get us out of this poo, not the look-at-me politicians with their hubris and fakery. they look about as competent as the candidates on the Apprentice. if you want to believe in them then be my guest, but to be honest I’d rather hear from the boffins.

this is now a global problem, and it will need a global solution.

35 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

What we all agreed on was that you didn't understand either the data or the time frame of the chart that you yourself posted, as you well know. I'm not even convinced that you even understood NYC data was not included ?‍♂️

Trying to pretend that you were wrong on purpose just adds to the hilarity. Literally nobody is buying the yarn you're trying to sell ?

You mean just the same mob that routinely show they don't understand statistics and have not, routinely. Show me where I mentioned NYC? The chart/graphic was simple to follow.  As I highlighted in the comment that was removed to cover your backs (thanks to Gboro, yet again), I drew you in. You're natural position is to disagree. Why do you think I presented it without comment? Because you guys just naturally disagree. 

Before Covid-19 you lot were all for good sources and listening to the experts. We've all seen that to be a load of nonsense. 

Have a nice day Gammon ?

12 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Agree. @Archied seems not to realise that targets do focus minds and are meant to. A target is a goal that we are aiming to reach. But targets don’t just tell us what we are aiming for – they let us measure the distance by which we fall short, and the amount of work we need to do to make it up.

You need to have a target in order to judge whether you are making improvements. 

Or in some instances: 

A target is a goal that we are aiming to reach. But targets don’t just tell us what we are aiming for – they let us measure the distance by which we will fall short, and then we can alter how we are doing the measuring to ensure we reach the target?

25 minutes ago, RamNut said:

A quicker test is almost as important as a vaccine or an antibody serum. 

Reading The Athletic today, it states that one PL team has already secured a finger rick test that gives virtually instant results. 

Swear filter doesn't like a sharp scratch!

36 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

You mean just the same mob that routinely show they don't understand statistics and have not, routinely. Show me where I mentioned NYC? The chart/graphic was simple to follow.  As I highlighted in the comment that was removed to cover your backs (thanks to Gboro, yet again), I drew you in. You're natural position is to disagree. Why do you think I presented it without comment? Because you guys just naturally disagree. 

Before Covid-19 you lot were all for good sources and listening to the experts. We've all seen that to be a load of nonsense. 

Have a nice day Gammon ?

Your chart is still there. If you avoid snide comments about people's literacy, just designed to cause an argument, your post won't be removed. However I still believe that between the middle of March and the middle of April is a month and not two, like you said.  On that score, guilty as charged, I disagree with you that it is two months. 

40 minutes ago, RamNut said:

so what do we think will happen next? What is this ‘new normal’ going to be like?  

Summer is coming and the lockdown surely won’t survive the promise of sunshine, beaches and the pull of the great outdoors. The gun wavers and the non-conformists will get their wish. So there will be a second peak and maybe a third. And the second peak could be bigger than the first.
We need stats we can rely on. Even with lockdown the apparent number of cases in Derbyshire has quadrupled. But how many of the 1200 confirmed cases are still actively infected. we need better information on who is infected; who is therefore at risk of infection; and who is safe. So we need targeted testing. the problem with the testing was not just the availability of the testing kits, but the capacity of the testing labs. Fudging the figures on testing by counting the number of kits issued is utterly pointless. What matters is the capability of the labs to deliver the results before the infection has spread. A quicker test is almost as important as a vaccine or an antibody serum. Testing will inevitably be targeted on those at risk,  not for their benefit, but to protect everyone else from virus carriers who will have to be isolated.

how do we contain the active cases and those they come into contact with, when social mobility is bound to increase. What is the the logic in continuing to let people into the country without a system of checks, health-passports or quarantine. With this open door, beating the virus is virtually impossible. And without masks there will be too much transmission. So let’s admit that and do something about it.

Therefore it makes no sense to talk about beating the virus or even dafter “to wrestle it to the floor”. The virus is here to stay and will do its thing in this relentless slow burn fashion for the foreseeable future. Our new refrigerated morgue near Hilton will be busy over the summer as the virus continues to take out the weak, the vulnerable, and those who battled in the front line public services.

There will enormous social and economic fall out. Businesses will suffer mass extinction if they rely on leisure spend. It’s a very bleak picture. I wish it wasn’t. 

Rolls Royce and co are gearing up for job losses and so the economic impact will hit this region soon. All those industries which are directly or indirectly associated with the leisure and travel are going to go tits up. 
without draconian new measures or new scientific wizardry it will surely be a very long haul.

I’m backing the wizards. It will be the scientists and medical industries who get us out of this poo, not the look-at-me politicians with their hubris and fakery. they look about as competent as the candidates on the Apprentice. if you want to believe in them then be my guest, but to be honest I’d rather hear from the boffins.

As I understand it Derby is likely to be the third worst hit city in the UK based on forecasting regarding job loss.

The rhetoric of going back to work with a mask on will A/ Make few feel safe for a full working day.  B/ not be practical for anyone with asthma, hayfever and an number of conditions c/ will not be suitable for many jobs such as construction unless heatstroke is a pre requisite.

I know one elderly couple who headed off to India where they have a home at the start of March. They have just arrived back but had no checks and were advised to self quarantine with no checks . They are two of 20,000 .  Realistically, they should have had to stay where they were.

lockdown is effectively over now.  DIY shops are open. Tips are open. burger king and today chip shops are open .  Mark and spencers are selling clothes at the front of there food  stores.You, me and anyone else with a brain can suffer so that the brain dead few can get a cheeseburger, chips and be prevented from fly tipping .

56 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Almost forgot . gyms are reopening

5 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Your chart is still there. If you avoid snide comments about people's literacy, just designed to cause an argument, your post won't be removed. However I still believe that between the middle of March and the middle of April is a month and not two, like you said.  On that score, guilty as charged, I disagree with you that it is two months. 

It is indeed just 1 month and it showed 3000 additional deaths year on year too and how these deaths are being recorded. But we can't have discussions about the facts unfortunately.  It did not show anything else.

The chart is a great indicator that will eventually lead to total Covid-19 deaths being revised down. 

Coming from the CDC and New York times. Hard evidence of what some people have been saying for a while. The numbers are inflated. Not conspiracy, not infactual, not far right blogs..

Which is fantastic news. Far less lives being lost to this than we all thought would be. ??

Archived