Coronavirus

1of4

50 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Why are people moaning about NHS staff posting dancing videos?

Can't say that I've seen any complaints fortunately. I guess the complaints are on social media somewhere and we all know they're a breeding ground for anyone that wants to complain about something however ridiculous. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Norman said:

Because they apparently don't have the time to treat cancer patients but do to rehearse a dance for TikTok.

It doesn't look great. They should just get their heads down at work.

Nothing to do with time,can’t treat my lad,no endoscopy,no MRI.

Just for risk reasons,they’re not refusing to treat people,they just can’t do certain things.

1 minute ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Daily Mail? Well that's even worse than social media for picking up a story generated by a very small minority (I've not read the article so I don't know how many families have "slammed" them) and turning it into a big scandal.

Obviously it's difficult for those whose loved ones need treatment for whatever reason but I suspect the overwhelming majority are OK with this especially without knowing how long it took them and when they rehearsed/performed it. 

For me, these heroes are under enormous pressure, mentally and physically, and to do something like this can only help them. Obviously, if it took hours of practice, whilst they should have been working, then that's a different story but, my gut tells me that these are totally committed professionals that wouldn't allow that to happen. 

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Daily Mail? Well that's even worse than social media for picking up a story generated by a very small minority (I've not read the article so I don't know how many families have "slammed" them) and turning it into a big scandal.

Obviously it's difficult for those whose loved ones need treatment for whatever reason but I suspect the overwhelming majority are OK with this especially without knowing how long it took them and when they rehearsed/performed it. 

For me, these heroes are under enormous pressure, mentally and physically, and to do something like this can only help them. Obviously, if it took hours of practice, whilst they should have been working, then that's a different story but, my gut tells me that these are totally committed professionals that wouldn't allow that to happen. 

Twitter is worse,people saying they’re not going to clap anymore etc etc.

Anything that lifts the morale of these selfless people is fine by me and by the way, these people do this job because it’s their vocation, nobody goes into nursing for the money, their dedication and professionalism would allow them to be practicing a dance routine if there was work to be done.

We’ll probably find all the rehearsals were taking place at the end of shifts.

From BBC:

NHS nurse 'scared' after vandals attack car

A newly qualified nurse who works with Covid-19 patients has been left "anxious and struggling to sleep" after vandals attacked her car.

The 25-year-old Derby NHS worker said she woke up to find her Corsa had been covered in paint, the tyres slashed and the windscreen smashed overnight.

She did not wish to be named because she feared further attacks but said she did not know why she had been targeted or by whom.

Police have made no arrests but appealed for information.

Officers added the damage was done some time between 22:00 on 15 April and 08:00 the following morning at a block of flats off Uttoxeter New Road.

1 hour ago, Pearl Ram said:

Anything that lifts the morale of these selfless people is fine by me and by the way, these people do this job because it’s their vocation, nobody goes into nursing for the money, their dedication and professionalism would allow them to be practicing a dance routine if there was work to be done.

We’ll probably find all the rehearsals were taking place at the end of shifts.

This.

We might not be happy if they closed Radiology because they hadn’t got their routine up to scratch but if it’s raising morale then why not.

20 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Ok, I was wrong to say density is not a factor, of course it is (although population is irrelevant).

But, it's nothing like as important as the way countries have reacted

And that is what we're talking about, and why Germany is being used as the example.

If density were the most important factor then Seoul would have been decimated. That was hit way on the same day as the US and before New York, but has had a fraction of the problems.

Similarly, Mumbai would be reeling now, as would Mexico City and Tokyo would have had way more deaths than it has.

You think it's a coincidence that South  Korea, Germany and Japan have all had way few deaths per 1,000?

Seriously?

No, it's because all 3 countries are incredibly well organized.

There are a bunch of cities waaaay more population dense than London that have cases but nothing like as many cases per 1,000.

If density were the determining factor, or even an overwhelming then that simply couldn't happen. You could figure out expected deaths using a simple mathematical formula.

The UK and US Governments made some monumental duck ups. Now maybe they did in Spain and Italy too, I honestly don't know I haven't been following their situations.

But to ignore that just because you lean one way politically (and I'm generalizing now, I don't follow who supports what party in this group) is patently absurd. 

I still want to know how a virus with no specific treatment (apart from Oxygen) can cause less deaths in Germany than the other European countries?

Being prepared doesn't stop people catching it - as shown by the number of proven cases.

29 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I still want to know how a virus with no specific treatment (apart from Oxygen) can cause less deaths in Germany than the other European countries?

Being prepared doesn't stop people catching it - as shown by the number of proven cases.

Could it be a genetics thing? For example Nolotil (I don't know if that's a generic name or indeed it's name in English) is used a lot here as a pain killer, but is not used on English patients over here because several have had a lethal reaction to it. Maybe there are some chromosomes or whatever that are better at fighting the virus?

39 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Three things that have more validity than others.

A. Germany have a higher threshold for including someone in their official statistics for Covid death rates. 

B. A higher proportion of tests are being conducted away from hospitals. Current system of testing is flawed, in all nations. 

C. Research and data are beginning to indicate that a smaller proportion of Germans have been infected. 

Other factors.. demographics, social distancing, population density. 

Not a fan of Matt Hancock but thought tonight's briefing was good and informative.

They need to get the number of infections down before track, trace and test will be effective.

Seems like this will be an important part of the next phase to relax the lockdown measures.

They way he avoided answering why we have not one bit of information of an exit strategy was embarrassing, he was asked twice why Scotland had a 20 odd page document and we had nothing.

He was rambling the second time about flattening the curve again.

Wheres Boris anyway?

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not a fan of Matt Hancock but thought tonight's briefing was good and informative.

They need to get the number of infections down before track, trace and test will be effective.

Seems like this will be an important part of the next phase to relax the lockdown measures.

Is this phase 3?

Tbh Matt Hancock has gone up in my estimations during this. I think he has dealt with things quite well.

38 minutes ago, Boycie said:

They way he avoided answering why we have not one bit of information of an exit strategy was embarrassing, he was asked twice why Scotland had a 20 odd page document and we had nothing.

He was rambling the second time about flattening the curve again.

Wheres Boris anyway?

I'm thinking he's having a Weekend at Bernie's.

Archived