Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

To be fair to “plod”, I think most of us recognise the difference between kitchen paint and tools/equipment to repair fences and understand the principle behind the message.

Again you are right, but the 80/20 rule applies. 80% of us will understand and comply, but 20% will choose not to/not be able to understand. It's the 20% that cause 80% of the problems for the police.

3 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Again you are right, but the 80/20 rule applies. 80% of us will understand and comply, but 20% will choose not to/not be able to understand. It's the 20% that cause 80% of the problems for the police.

I understand your point but how do we overcome the problem? Banning all shopping except for food, medication and cleaning products?

At least with the advice 80% won’t go out to just buy something like kitchen paint which is better than potentially 0%.

I just thought the original criticism was a tad unfair on “plod” and another chance to have a cheap shot at authority.

2 hours ago, Van Wolfie said:

Theres a new large housing development near me. Very cliquey middle class types, the lot of them.

Quite a few have posted videos of the clapping on FB since last night and they don't seem to like me pointing out to them that while they're stood there videoing others, they are not themselves showing any appreciation for all the key workers. Which is sort of the point of the thing.

I have it on good authority that they also don’t like the sign you have put up in your garden - Very cliquey middle class types bugger off back to where you come from. LOCALS only.

Sith Happens
3 hours ago, David said:

This won’t help.

Thats more about being seen to be clapping and caring. To gather in such a crowd shows that they don't care on bit.

Sith Happens
12 minutes ago, David said:

New guidance now on what you can and can’t do

Police point out that exercise "must involve some movement".

Surely not written with a straight face.

On 16/04/2020 at 13:29, Eddie said:

Think about those on the 'vulnerable' list. We have 12 weeks of this, and my guess is that any relaxation of the confinement conditions won't apply to us. In fact, my guess is that I will be 'confined to barracks' for 26 weeks at least, and perhaps as much as a year. The problem there is that will apply to the Memsahib as well.

She probably thinks the same Eddie.

All the best to both of you.

Positive things about Lockdown..

I’m a glass half full sort of guy, so let’s look at some positives from a personal perspective, from this lockdown. I realise some are struggling but life will be different after this.

1. Realising what is important and what is not. I used to stress about the wrong stuff. Appreciation of people, who do those jobs that are not glamorous.. 

2. Family. probably speaking to them more now than ever.

3. Having time again.

4. Family dinners sitting around a table together and talking. That’s an evening meal to you northern heathens.

5. Community spirit. Strangers nodding or asking if you are okay. An acknowledgment when you give somebody room when strolling.

6. The value of friendship and friends. 

7. Talking to and caring for neighbours.

8. Playing games, puzzles or doing quizzes, instead of watching TV.

9. Doing things when I want to and not being a slave to someone else’s timetable.

10. Reading again.

Getting good at cooking now.

45 years ago, I taught the Memsahib how to make Indian, Chinese, Malay and Thai curries and thought "My work is done" and for the next 44 years, I never lifted a finger in the kitchen.  Now, you can't keep me out of the place.

1 minute ago, Van Cone De Head said:

I had to smile at work this morning watching 2 pallets of garden compost getting stripped in the same way a month ago the toilet roll pallets used to get stripped.

I need about 500 litres of the stuff - say half a dozen big bags. I think I need to put an order in.

31 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Getting good at cooking now.

45 years ago, I taught the Memsahib how to make Indian, Chinese, Malay and Thai curries and thought "My Wok is done" and for the next 44 years, I never lifted a finger in the kitchen.  Now, you can't keep me out of the place.

FIFY ?

56 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Anyone else noticed that they've been having way more mad dreams since this lockdown started. I assumed it was just me, but apparently is a pretty common phenomenon

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/04/coronavirus-pandemic-is-giving-people-vivid-unusual-dreams-here-is-why/

Yes, I had a weird one the other night where I was in a cell on death row which turned out to be my office at work. Probably sums up the situation at work. I have also had a couple of pleasant ones with lots of smiley, friendly people.

I am absolutely sure that gardening is good for your mental wellbeing and it was the first thing we ordered for home delivery. All done very safely by a local garden centre and surely if you want people to stay at home long term you have to allow them some entertainment. 

Our hanging baskets are now planted and in the garden (far too early, we're going to have to bring them in if there are any late frosts.)

23 minutes ago, angieram said:

I am absolutely sure that gardening is good for your mental wellbeing and it was the first thing we ordered for home delivery. All done very safely by a local garden centre and surely if you want people to stay at home long term you have to allow them some entertainment. 

Our hanging baskets are now planted and in the garden (far too early, we're going to have to bring them in if there are any late frosts.)

I’m lovin a bit of gardening.. Very relaxing..

Missed seeing this yesterday:

BBC News - Coronavirus lockdown: Lessons from Hokkaido's second wave of infections https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-52305055

It was once seen as something of a success story - a region that worked to contain, trace and isolate the virus - leading to a huge drop in numbers. But Hokkaido is in the spotlight again as it struggles to deal with a second wave of infections. ... 

In the last week, Hokkaido has recorded 135 new confirmed cases of Covid-19. Unlike the first outbreak in February, there is no evidence the virus has been re-imported from outside Japan. None of the new cases are foreigners, nor have any of those infected travelled outside Japan in the last month...

"The major lesson to take from Hokkaido is that even if you are successful in the containment the first time around, it's difficult to isolate and maintain the containment for a long period. Unless you expand the testing capacity, it's difficult to identify community transmission and hospital transmission."

Archived