Coronavirus

1of4

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

But that argument only holds water if you’re in total lockdown.

I go shopping every week and, whilst the supermarkets are doing all they can, there is still a chance I could catch it from person A if they are shopping there at the same time and we get too close. If person A is a numpty that meets with his mates numpty B and numpty C then there is an increased chance that they will catch the virus from him. That now means I have to hope I avoid numpties B and C as well now. The combined incubation period will also get longer and longer.

Furthermore, the people B and C live with are now at greater risk.

Have I got that right folks?

Yeah it seems a sensible argument.

I think my point was though, measures are being carried out stringently in shops so the chances of catching it must be extremely low.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Serious/critical cases in the UK only 1,559?

Looks odd doesn’t? I guess it depends on how/when they assess someone as serious/critical and how/when they report it. Same with numbers recovered. I guess these two figures are a little more vague whereas confirmed cases and deaths are definite.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah it seems a sensible argument.

I think my point was though, measures are being carried out stringently in shops so the chances of catching it must be extremely low.

Yeah I agree but, in my scenario the low risk multiplied by three.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

China's even better.

Morale of the story...just lie about the figures!

You and I can agree on China, but I can’t believe Germany are lying about the figures. Even from a skewed political standpoint you might think it better to have a higher infection/death rate to say to their EU brethren in France, Italy and Spain, we are all in this together.  

1 hour ago, 1967Ram said:

Bush Ambree = 12-13% alcohol

Gulden Draak 9000 = 10-11% alcohol

Kulmbacker Eisbock = 9.2%

Session beers Eddie? ? 

The german beer is tame in comparison to the other two.

Strangely enough, the Eisbock tastes a lot more, because it is so full-bodied. Saying that, I love the Bush Ambree (now renamed 'Charactere') - it's close to being my favourite readily-available beer.

I rarely have more than one strong beer in a day - typically I would start of with a fruit beer, a gueuze or a saison, but yesterday I thought "What the hell".

3 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

You and I can agree on China, but I can’t believe Germany are lying about the figures. Even from a skewed political standpoint you might think it better to have a higher infection/death rate to say to their EU brethren in France, Italy and Spain, we are all in this together.  

Are you suggesting that when it comes down to it and things get really tough, that members of the EU would just look after themselves first?!?!

Better not tell Guy Verhofstadt that.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not too sure why people are getting so hung up on what others are doing.

If you're following the guidelines, and obviously wont mix with the sort of people that flout the guidelines, you've got nothing to worry about.

I know what they are doing is wrong but who exactly are they going to be infecting?

The government will clamp down harder for longer if selfish idiots do not take this seriously. I'm currently 5 days into my 84-day isolation, because I'm on the 'vulnerable list' (swine flu nearly killed me, and left me with scarred lungs). From a personal point of view, I would like to venture beyond my back door again one day., but if the disease is still rife at the end of June, I imagine I will be told to remain indoors for another 3 months, and that will be hard to take.

19 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

They have a very different way of attributing corona and underlying medical conditions to death totals. 

6 minutes ago, Norman said:

They have a very different way of attributing corona and underlying medical conditions to death totals. 

I was unaware of that Norm but they did have a very different approach to recording gas attributable death at the time of the last global crisis. 

47 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Strangely enough, the Eisbock tastes a lot more, because it is so full-bodied. Saying that, I love the Bush Ambree (now renamed 'Charactere') - it's close to being my favourite readily-available beer.

I rarely have more than one strong beer in a day - typically I would start of with a fruit beer, a gueuze or a saison, but yesterday I thought "What the hell".

I know what you mean about "What the hell" days Eddie. Trouble is I seem to be having too many of those at the moment!

45 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Thanks for this. Didn’t spend too much time reviewing, but Germany’s death rate per 1m population is remarkably low given other European stats.  There must be something to be learnt from what they have done/are doing.

How figures calculated is my very best guess now , in fact I’m pretty certain that is the crux of it 

from day one my family have followed all instructions and still are and intend to carry on that way but make no mistake I’m pretty certain that there’s lots about this that stinks from absolute total uncertainty in how deaths are classified and counted ,how and how much testing is being done , PPE for frontline health and vital workers ,,, totaly unfathomable decisions on who should and shouldn’t be at work ,mp s and high ups doing the old do as I say not as I do routine let alone them getting extra 10k to work from home , the closing down of any voice that actually asks questions of the official narrative ,,, 

there are areas of this whole situation that are starting to have a very bad stink to them

45 minutes ago, Archied said:

How figures calculated is my very best guess now , in fact I’m pretty certain that is the crux of it 

from day one my family have followed all instructions and still are and intend to carry on that way but make no mistake I’m pretty certain that there’s lots about this that stinks from absolute total uncertainty in how deaths are classified and counted ,how and how much testing is being done , PPE for frontline health and vital workers ,,, totaly unfathomable decisions on who should and shouldn’t be at work ,mp s and high ups doing the old do as I say not as I do routine let alone them getting extra 10k to work from home , the closing down of any voice that actually asks questions of the official narrative ,,, 

there are areas of this whole situation that are starting to have a very bad stink to them

These reporting figures are now becoming very confusing.

Are these additional deaths that are being announced already recorded in the ONS figures?

Are we retrospectively calling something a Covid related death just because they tested positive after dying from something else?

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Another 496 have lost their lives in Belgium - a country with a population 1/6 that of the UK. So, that would like 3000 in a single day in the UK.

But the numbers are not just for one day - if you read up on it, its over a period of time and they were catching up.

None the less, still scary.

The John Hopkins numbers for recovered are pointless.

In Germany you can go to the doctors, get a test swab, go back home. If you're positive, you stay home and self-isolate and hopefully get better. There isn't a track in place to know when you have recovered. (Reference for this is my counterpart for our production site in Germany who wasn't feeling well and had a test).

So the amount that is recovered which still shows quite low is probably nowhere correct. I also don't trust the numbers that are found to be positive - its all down to the amount of testing done. 

So the only measure I'm looking at is the number of deaths, but even that isn't too reliable on a day by day case as we have seen with Belgium's numbers, it depends when deaths are reported.

So I look at cumulative trends over a period of time of deaths - for me this is the only decisive number we can check the numbers on whether any country is getting better or not.

On a separate note - when we do start having the rules relaxed, its going to take a fair while for life to get to normal. There will be those who won't care and just go straight for it. Then there will be others who will still be reserved about walking past people. Complete normalness, the fact of sitting in a football stadium without a worry in the world about who you are next to, won't be possible until a vaccine is found and delivered. I still think that will be this year in Q4. It may not be a perfect vaccine but if you get around the 80% mark success rate, that should be enough to wipe this bug out.

Archived