Coronavirus

1of4

1 hour ago, Norman said:

They have a very different way of attributing corona and underlying medical conditions to death totals. 

They test a lot  more,have more ICU beds. Lets face it if there was a country who would get their response to the crisis better than the rest it would have to be Germany. You can add Switzerland to that. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

These reporting figures are now becoming very confusing.

Are these additional deaths that are being announced already recorded in the ONS figures?

Are we retrospectively calling something a Covid related death just because they tested positive after dying from something else?

This is something people are starting to question. I've seen quite a few people saying that once we have had a Coronavirus, then we will test positive for this new strain. Also that if someone goes to hospital with a heart attack and dies, but tests positive, it will be recorded as Coronavirus etc. 

Not disputing people are dying, however, seen a few graphs showing number of deaths this year is no higher than normal, which you would expect to be much higher. Also seems that people have forgotten that other respiratory illnesses and viruses do unfortunately kill people. 

Again, not saying people aren't sadly losing their lives but something isn't right. 

23 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Alright going on about death rates how about people recovered from and now well on the mend from it.

A very big majority survive, we know that. But millions of people will catch it. Thousands - many thousands - are dying. 

Nobody is worried about the survivors. 

10 minutes ago, goldstar said:

This is something people are starting to question. I've seen quite a few people saying that once we have had a Coronavirus, then we will test positive for this new strain. Also that if someone goes to hospital with a heart attack and dies, but tests positive, it will be recorded as Coronavirus etc. 

Not disputing people are dying, however, seen a few graphs showing number of deaths this year is no higher than normal, which you would expect to be much higher. Also seems that people have forgotten that other respiratory illnesses and viruses do unfortunately kill people. 

Again, not saying people aren't sadly losing their lives but something isn't right. 

The last week on the ONS records showed that deaths were up about 500 for the week on a 5 year average.

That was for the week ended 27 March 2020.

I'm expecting that next weeks should be 4 or 5 thousand up on the 5 year average if the figures being reported are correct and the deaths are caused by Covid-19.

25 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

But thing is I think talk of death getting everyone down but we all need remain postive.

Because of the way that the death toll by age numbers are, there are going to be a lot of (mainly young) people who will think "If I catch it and I'm unlucky, I might die". Then again, there are going to be a lot of (mainly older) people who will think "If I catch it and I'm lucky, I might live".

54 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Alright going on about death rates how about people recovered from and now well on the mend from it.

I know you keep banging on about this and with some justification. It's been said all along that far more will recover than will die. However, the measures can't be relaxed until the "bad" indicators (new infections and deaths) begin to fall. 100,000 people per day could be recovering but that's little consolation if 700 or 800 people a day are dying. 

20 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The last week on the ONS records showed that deaths were up about 500 for the week on a 5 year average.

That was for the week ended 27 March 2020.

I'm expecting that next weeks should be 4 or 5 thousand up on the 5 year average if the figures being reported are correct and the deaths are caused by Covid-19.

National Center for Health Statistics shows in the US the weekly number of deaths from pneumonia has fallen almost exactly the amount that Coronavirus deaths have shot up. Is it a case that they are not differentiating those that have died as a result of the virus and those that died with it? 

A workmate got stopped on his way into work this morning, the police set up a checkpoint and were allowing commercial vehicles straight through, while pulling all car drivers over for questioning.

35 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

But thing is I think talk of death getting everyone down but we all need remain postive.

Positive yes but complacent, which can be a result of too many positive messages, is a very dangerous thing. 

There are enough bamfords out there without them thinking there's not too much to worry about. 

A delicate balance is required. 

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

There isn't a track in place to know when you have recovered. (Reference for this is my counterpart for our production site in Germany who wasn't feeling well and had a test).

42 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Nobody is worried about the survivors. 

The survivors are probably the most important element in the equation. The Germans are now starting a testing program for antibodies in order to identify people that have been infected by the virus but didn’t know it or didn't show any symptoms. This will hopefully give better information on the true spread of the disease and the mortality rate. It has been suggested that Germany migh only have identified 15% of those infected despite all the virus testing it has been doing.

https://www.ft.com/content/fe211ec7-0ed4-4d36-9d83-14b639efb3ad (paywall might let you in)

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why would people driving in a car come into contact with essential workers?

Maybe you could enlighten me as to why these people won't come into with essential and none essential people, so increasing the possibility of spreading the virus. Are they all just driving around in their car before returning home before getting out of the car?

Another 980 deaths. Kinell.

derbyshire down to 24th with 603 cases is better news, 
London now 16,011  seems to be getting worse

35 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Maybe you could enlighten me as to why these people won't come into with essential and none essential people, so increasing the possibility of spreading the virus. Are they all just driving around in their car before returning home before getting out of the car?

I do most evenings. Take the car for a drive to charge the battery (and mine).  Virtually empty roads. Back home in about 40 minutes. No contact with anyone. In fact hardly see anyone. 

4 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

I do most evenings. Take the car for a drive to charge the battery (and mine).  Virtually empty roads. Back home in about 40 minutes. No contact with anyone. In fact hardly see anyone. 

Odd that. Almost like everyone is staying home.

6 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

There's a reason for that!

I'd guess so many of us would absolutely love to do this.  I know I would.  Preferably with Muckerette by my side, but alone if need be.

But here's the thing... We are specifically being asked not to... in fact no, we are specifically being TOLD not to!

Maybe we should all just go for it, and to hell with the consequences.

Archived