Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not too sure why people are getting so hung up on what others are doing.

If you're following the guidelines, and obviously wont mix with the sort of people that flout the guidelines, you've got nothing to worry about.

I know what they are doing is wrong but who exactly are they going to be infecting?

Joe works in the NHS. The ones flouting the guidelines will be mixing with others who have a careless disregard for others. More potential COVID cases which I am sure Joe and my NHS family could well do without.

Just now, i-Ram said:

Joe works in the NHS. The ones flouting the guidelines will be mixing with others who have a careless disregard for others. More cases which I am sure Joe and my NHS family could well do without.

But who are they going to be catching the virus off if everyone else is following the guidelines staying at home?

For a lot of us, we are 3 weeks into lockdown and surely we would be showing symptoms by now?

Not trying to pass myself off as a medical expert here by the way, just a little confused!

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

If you're following the guidelines, and obviously wont mix with the sort of people that flout the guidelines, you've got nothing to worry about.

I know what they are doing is wrong but who exactly are they going to be infecting?

My wife gets angry when she hears that friends of ours have been visiting their parents, especially when they don't wear a face mask. I tell her that it's their problem, it's their parents that they are putting at risk (although if they follow  the guidelines the rest of the time the risk should be reduced), and it's them that have to face the consequences.

We do the shopping etc for my in-laws, but we don't enter their house. They are both in the at risk category. We are doing all we can to not endanger them more than necessary.

Essential workers they may come into contact with. Meaning the essential workers can't carry on doing their job, that of supplying us with health care, food supplies, gas and electric power, water and sewage treatment. 

Just now, 1of4 said:

Essential workers they may come into contact with. Meaning the essential workers can't carry on doing their job, that of supplying us with health care, food supplies, gas and electric power, water and sewage treatment. 

Why would people driving in a car come into contact with essential workers?

9 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Joe works in the NHS. The ones flouting the guidelines will be mixing with others who have a careless disregard for others. More potential COVID cases which I am sure Joe and my NHS family could well do without.

Sorry if my post came across badly worded.

And FWIW, a member of my family is a paramedic so proper front line, so my comment was not made in a 'does affect me' kind of way.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

They might crash. They might breakdown. They might get out and ignore social distancing when they do. Etc, etc...

Yeah they might do.

The person that is sat at home for the best part of 3 weeks may go to the shop one day and also do the same thing.

If you follow the rules you've got very little to worry about.

Do take the point though.

Sorry if my post came across badly worded.

And FWIW, a member of my family is a paramedic so proper front line, so my comment was not made in a 'does affect me' kind of way.

It’s the internet buddy - not easy to get word balance right.

I am no expert either, but anecdotally there is some evidence that even in ‘lockdown’ you are at risk, where they say the virus can transfer to cardboard so you are at risk from postal deliveries or off food packaging. 2m distancing is adequate is most cases, but joggers and cyclists (doing there one hour a day exercise) and anyone coughing or sneezing in a supermarket could project the virus much more than 2m. Look at Spain and Italy. They have been in lockdown, and perhaps more strictly enforced lockdown, longer than us, and their daily infection numbers are still very high.

Anyone out and about on non-guideline adventures is a Bamford in my opinion, and should be fined (and/or kept in a quarantine cell with all other offenders for 14 days at her Maj’s pleasure).

@G STAR RAM I can see where you're coming from, I really can. 

How many of those people driving about visiting relatives or whomever will have been to the shops or the petrol station or the pharmacist recently? All perfectly allowed, but without doubt places that will be harbouring the virus. How many of them will be carrying the virus without knowing it? Not many, hopefully, but some will. They'll then pass it on to people who have been isolating. Some of them will then become sick, some of them will need hospital treatment, some of them will die. Some of them will pass it on to my colleagues whilst they are being treated.

I get that it might not seem like much of a risk, you keep your distance, only stay outside etc, but I'd just question what could be absolutely so important that someone needs to go out to visit relatives/buy charcoal for a barbecue/go for a drive to walk their dog in slightly nicer surroundings etc which I am sure would have been the cases in numerous cars I saw this morning. There will be reasons that people will give that I personally think are probably valid - there are lots of elderly, lonely people out there that will be spending easter on their Todd otherwise, but I just hope that people are being sensible. Everything in life is a risk, just hope we're keeping those risks to a minimum at the moment.

My own judgments from some of the cars that went by me this morning made me think people weren't being sensible and it's annoying and saddening in the same instance.

I absolutely hate not being able to go wherever I like whenever I like, it's killing me inside, but at least I know not doing those things won't kill someone else. Sacrifice I guess you call it. No Easter pun intended.

?

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

But who are they going to be catching the virus off if everyone else is following the guidelines staying at home? ...

That's the problem!  "Everyone else" isn't following the guidelines!

Nobody knows who is catching it... until they already have... and almost certainly already passed it on!  OK, you may argue that they are only infecting other "flouters", but we all know that isn't the case. 
There are biscuit workers still having to go through those same streets to get to work!  Nurses.  Doctors.  Prime Ministers.  My sister's ex colleagues who take the meals round to hospital wards (She retired in February, and is currently safe at home... perfect timing for her, but her ex colleagues have been hit!), hospital cleaners, People who are out and about legitimately, shopping, caring for others, providing those "essential services" so the rest of us don't starve, or smell like drains!
So many people are out there... with bloody good reason... and with our thanks, hopefully!

But people are still catching it.  People are still passing it on.  People are still dying.  People are still flouting the rules.  It's the latter that are complete Bamfords, and it's the latter that are becoming more and more despicable by the day!

6 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

@G STAR RAM I can see where you're coming from, I really can. 

How many of those people driving about visiting relatives or whomever will have been to the shops or the petrol station or the pharmacist recently? All perfectly allowed, but without doubt places that will be harbouring the virus. How many of them will be carrying the virus without knowing it? Not many, hopefully, but some will. They'll then pass it on to people who have been isolating. Some of them will then become sick, some of them will need hospital treatment, some of them will die. Some of them will pass it on to my colleagues whilst they are being treated.

I get that it might not seem like much of a risk, you keep your distance, only stay outside etc, but I'd just question what could be absolutely so important that someone needs to go out to visit relatives/buy charcoal for a barbecue/go for a drive to walk their dog in slightly nicer surroundings etc which I am sure would have been the cases in numerous cars I saw this morning. There will be reasons that people will give that I personally think are probably valid - there are lots of elderly, lonely people out there that will be spending easter on their Todd otherwise, but I just hope that people are being sensible. Everything in life is a risk, just hope we're keeping those risks to a minimum at the moment.

My own judgments from some of the cars that went by me this morning made me think people weren't being sensible and it's annoying and saddening in the same instance.

I absolutely hate not being able to go wherever I like whenever I like, it's killing me inside, but at least I know not doing those things won't kill someone else. Sacrifice I guess you call it. No Easter pun intended.

?

Yeah understood mate.

But people following the guidelines wont be letting these people visit them.

I've not seen my family (other than my kids) for a month now.

I do understand your point.

People were Bamfords before this virus turne up and I pretty much suspect will continue to be after it has gone. I just try not to let it wind me up.

From what I have read from police statements, a very high majority of people are following the rules and behaving sensibly. Yet if you see how things are being portrayed by the media and social media, you would think there is a street party on every other street in the country.

6 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Not really sure but if you click on Belgium it looks like an upward trend.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Thanks for this. Didn’t spend too much time reviewing, but Germany’s death rate per 1m population is remarkably low given other European stats.  There must be something to be learnt from what they have done/are doing.

36 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

But who are they going to be catching the virus off if everyone else is following the guidelines staying at home?

For a lot of us, we are 3 weeks into lockdown and surely we would be showing symptoms by now?

Not trying to pass myself off as a medical expert here by the way, just a little confused!

But that argument only holds water if you’re in total lockdown.

I go shopping every week and, whilst the supermarkets are doing all they can, there is still a chance I could catch it from person A if they are shopping there at the same time and we get too close. If person A is a numpty that meets with his mates numpty B and numpty C then there is an increased chance that they will catch the virus from him. That now means I have to hope I avoid numpties B and C as well now. The combined incubation period will also get longer and longer.

Furthermore, the people B and C live with are now at greater risk.

Have I got that right folks?

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Thanks for this. Didn’t spend too much time reviewing, but Germany’s death rate per 1m population is remarkably low given other European stats.  There must be something to be learnt from what they have done/are doing.

China's even better.

Morale of the story...just lie about the figures!

Archived