Subs half time ‘warm up’ not helping the focus?

England Ram

Before we had Cocu’s comments about Bogle not being focused when he came on I’d already mentioned to my son that both sets of subs were approaching things very differently at half time. 

The Huddersfield subs came on and made an impact, ours took an age to get into the game, if at all. 

The approach we seem to take at half time is a regular occurrence for our subs as well. 

For those who didn’t see, or who miss the half time due to toilet break or food/drinks break, what happened is: 

Huddersfield subs- full warm up program with the trainer, small group ball work With focus, individual training and then warm down/top up. 

Derby subs - Running back and forth across the pitch a bit (possibly part of a warm up), 

Kicking the ball to each other Like they do before the normal warm up before the match, some keepy uppies, crossbar challenge, and generally a bit of a laugh. 

Now, I know life can be too serious sometimes, but mental approach and discipline has a lot to do with success in sport. 

Huddersfield are not the first side to have a set program, more focused than ours. 
Yes, you could argue we’ve got a good home record, but it could be better. 
And if we take the same approach away from home your on the back foot as a sub to influence a game for the better. 

I feel that a much better approach for our subs during half time might help them be more game ready when called upon. 

They’ve got a good 10-15 mins to get their bodies and minds to a level of preparedness that currently I feel they are not utilising properly. 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve said this for years and totally agree.

They come out and have a kick about and then for 5 mins the strength and conditioning coach gives them a half hearted warm up.

You’d expect something a little more sophisticated these days with all of the technology and information they have on match preparation etc! 

7 hours ago, Mckram said:

I’ve said this for years and totally agree.

They come out and have a kick about and then for 5 mins the strength and conditioning coach gives them a half hearted warm up.

You’d expect something a little more sophisticated these days with all of the technology and information they have on match preparation etc! 

Maybe that technology and info has lead to them finding that what happens at half time isn’t that important?

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

When its my round, I limber up for a few minutes before muscling onto the concourse.

Trying to get 4 pints of pedigree in the South Stand and deliver them to the back wall shelf in one piece requires true dedication, focus and determination.

Do your mates have to fetch their own pints?

13 hours ago, tinman said:

Maybe that technology and info has lead to them finding that what happens at half time isn’t that important?

You’re telling me that in a time when having a hair on your leg as a professional cyclist is a disadvantage to your performance, that a 15 minute half time warm up is not important! Haha

I’m fairly certain they could be spending time better than showboating and pinging 40 yard passes. If it’s not important then listening to Cocu would be of more benefit! 

Three years ago I saw Lincoln play and couldn’t believe the level of warm up they did both before the game and at half time. It’s not something I normally observe but it stood out so much against Wycombe’s warm up. The Cowley’s seem like the most thorough and professional coaches in the football league, most teams warm up just like us.

20 minutes ago, Ramchope said:

Three years ago I saw Lincoln play and couldn’t believe the level of warm up they did both before the game and at half time. It’s not something I normally observe but it stood out so much against Wycombe’s warm up. The Cowley’s seem like the most thorough and professional coaches in the football league, most teams warm up just like us.

The squad do al sorts of warm ups before the game, with almost as many "trainers" as players. Watching the shooting practice its somewhere less than 50% success. Probably explains why we hardly bother in the game.

When the game actually starts after the 10 minute cool down AFTER the 30 minute warm up we usually are not out of the blocks until the other side scores. So I'm not convinced it does much.

1 hour ago, Mckram said:

You’re telling me that in a time when having a hair on your leg as a professional cyclist is a disadvantage to your performance, that a 15 minute half time warm up is not important! Haha

I’m fairly certain they could be spending time better than showboating and pinging 40 yard passes. If it’s not important then listening to Cocu would be of more benefit! 

The cyclists shaving their legs is a hygiene thing not a performance thing. 

2 hours ago, Ramchope said:

Different code but our warm up before the game was to actually have the players go through the first level of fatigue before the game starts. That way your lactic acid build up has already started to dissipate so you are in fact running on your second wind as they say. The other thing i found completely different was that the reserves weren't actually in the rooms listening to what the manager's tactics were for the second half. We will also have the reserves riding exercise bikes throughout the game to keep that fatigue level up.

Archived