Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I love Martin. I thought he did alright today.

But let’s stop blaming the midfield for when he doesn’t do well. If he plays badly, it’s on him. No excuses. We can’t keep crying out for a 2014 Craig Bryson.

It’s not an excuse though when it’s a reason 

Everybody knows he is slow, everybody knows that he doesn’t have the legs to constantly run the channels 

Even if you can’t get runners off of him, get players close to him and let him do a Shefki Kuqi

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't read every single post from the topic so I'm not sure has someone pointed this one out... 

We all know his strenghts and those really are beneficial for us. At the same time, his weaknesses are as obvious as his strengths and IMO makes us pay, especially against better teams. For example, the last two games has been good example how his lack of movement is very, very detrimental to our defensive shape when we don't have the ball. He should be the first line of defense and unfortunately for the rest of the team, that's non-existent. Cocu got it horrible wrong when we tried to play Rooney behind him. That made it two immobile players to guide WBA's build-up where we want it to.... 45 minutes was enough for Cocu but that was suicidal tactic straight from the start.

I think we should look for other options upfront. He is good option against about half of the teams in this league, so would be useful surely but also I think we could do better with someone else leading the line. After all, we should be aiming to win these games we have recently played. I'm pretty sure this my concern was shared with Lampard (and I have to reluctantly admit, Rowett). 

34 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes, of course. But he was available and he did work hard and there was some nice link up today. He's shown he's as good as he was in Mac1 days, the supporting cast however sometimes aren't. The Blackburn game wasn't that 'long ago'. If it had been Waghorn or Marriott up there you'd have to say there wasn't enough creativity today, but before we equalised and until the Hamer gaff we certainly looked better. How much do you think one striker can do, even Vydra needed Hudds!

I mean I don’t disagree with some of what you’re saying, but he isn’t as good as he used to be back then. 

30 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I love Martin. I thought he did alright today.

But let’s stop blaming the midfield for when he doesn’t do well. If he plays badly, it’s on him. No excuses. We can’t keep crying out for a 2014 Craig Bryson.

The 2014 Bryson will be nothing compared with the 2021 Knight and Sibley

37 minutes ago, cannable said:

Everybody knows he is slow, everybody knows that he doesn’t have the legs to constantly run the channels 

Even if you can’t get runners off of him, get players close to him and let him do a Shefki Kuqi

I understand. But whenever Martin doesn’t play well, it’s “he didn’t get the support”. No-one else gets that sort of treatment. I just find it frustrating when people can’t seem to accept that he might just have had a bad game.

FWIW, I thought he was one of our better players today.

16 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I understand. But whenever Martin doesn’t play well, it’s “he didn’t get the support”. No-one else gets that sort of treatment. I just find it frustrating when people can’t seem to accept that he might just have had a bad game.

Martin doesn’t play well when he has support but his touch is off or he makes bad decision 

Martin not being in the game because he’s isolated isn’t his fault, it is a lack support 

1 hour ago, cannable said:

Chrissy's technical standard is premier league, the issue that stops him being a premier league player is his National League pace.

That's why he isn't playing in the premier league (or as far i can remember linked with a transfer to a premier league club).

The players around him have to make up for his lack of mobility either by very accurate passing and being in the right position to receive the ball off him(that takes a lot of energy and perception). This is why now with youngsters we need to change to someone who maybe less technical but has more pace and directness.

Unfortunately i don't think he will be here next season as we will need his wages to pay  for some incomings.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

If there aren't other players up with him who is he going to pass to? That's what I would think people mean by support and its a valid         point. There was a sublime sideways pass he made from our left back position today and it made for a good move forwards. You need players with Martin's skill - ready runners alone will not deliver against good teams. 

I rate Martin highly but if we are looking to improve we need someone a bit quicker but who also has his skills.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Waghorn. 

Probably, but i think we will look to a younger model for the future.

I like Waggy he is the new Johnny Russell of the team, with respect to teamwork he is the glue.

But for a new main striker i think Phil will fish in a different pond.

3 minutes ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

Probably, but i think we will look to a younger model for the future.

I like Waggy he is the new Johnny Russell of the team, with respect to teamwork he is the glue.

But for a new main striker i think Phil will fish in a different pond.

How will he afford the bait? Sell Marriott?

Martin is an excellent footballer and a joy to watch, but he’s the definition of one dimensional. You either have to buy into him or not, McClaren did and he was such a joy to watch. He’s the best at what he does, but the worst at what you want a striker to do that isn’t played like him.

Cocu needs to make his choice and I think he will eventually leave. He will always be liked here and there’s not many players that have accolade in the last decade. 

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Probably not but he can't run around at pace so that's it really. Lots of nice link up with Sibley, et al, and a couple of decent clearing headers, a reasonable shot and yet more freekicks not given. I thought Sibley was a bit selfish at times, and could have played him in but you can understand it. As for the ref, I bet Rooney finds it an eye-opener not being 'the big boys' that they favour so often! 

Thought we had a few free kicks today that weren’t given. 
Obviously has a lack of pace but makes up for it in other areas. Just need forwards who are willing to play off him. 

Archived