Types of Winger

Dethorn

Different Wingers  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ince did work hard. You don't get the ball that often if you don't. He was always on the move, looking for the ball and was often hard to mark. He worked as hard, if not harder, than the other group of players - he also had the ability to make it count. 

Lawrence, I feel, isn't lazy but just doesn't have the mental strength or fitness. Jozefzoon, I fear, at this point just doesn't care. 

8 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Lawrence, I feel, isn't lazy but just doesn't have the mental strength or fitness. Jozefzoon, I fear, at this point just doesn't care. 

Going to tell my Grandson to use that - he doesn't have the fitness or mental strength to get out of his bed lol

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Not sure what you're trying to prove with this poll. Ince's end product was almost as good as the three from the other group combined, yet still tacked back (not as quick or as effective as Russell)

What I am looking at - and to declare my position, I am for the second group, is team players who get around the pitch help back, stretch the oppositions back 4 generally work hard;  against players who are more selfish, in it for themselves, (maybe) more skillfull,

9 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Ince did work hard. You don't get the ball that often if you don't. He was always on the move, looking for the ball and was often hard to mark. He worked as hard, if not harder, than the other group of players - he also had the ability to make it count. 

I get what you are saying about Ince but quite often he was receiving the ball too deep, which I consider to be not adding as much to the team effort I felt Ince and Daniel Sturridge were similar in that respect.

2 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

What I am looking at - and to declare my position, I am for the second group, is team players who get around the pitch help back, stretch the oppositions back 4 generally work hard;  against players who are more selfish, in it for themselves, (maybe) more skillfull,

Lawrence helps out defensively just as much as Bennett and Weimann did. His end product is better too.

2 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

I get what you are saying about Ince but quite often he was receiving the ball too deep, which I consider to be not adding as much to the team effort I felt Ince and Daniel Sturridge were similar in that respect.

So Ince dropping deep to receive the ball off our players makes him lazier than if he stayed high at didn't help with the build-up play? Okay ?

5 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

Fed up with dour hard-working team players tbh. Was much more fun (and productive) with Ince, who contrary to belief worked hard too, if only he'd have smiled more! 

Ince created goals out of nothing, won games on his own and tracked back. He makes out current wingers/attacking mids look like a complete joke stats wise. To think we had Russell and Ince in the same team to what we have now shows you where we've dropped in quality. Wilson and Mount carried us going forward last season and we made no real moves to replace them.

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

So Ince dropping deep to receive the ball off our players makes him lazier than if he stayed high at didn't help with the build-up play? Okay ?

Well read !!  Not what I thought I was saying I think I started with I get what you are saying about Ince!!

12 minutes ago, Srg said:

I mean it's a pretty daft thread, you need a balance and players around any of them.

Thanks - I do know that you need a balance and players around them and was not suggesting a formation of 0-0-2-0

But I was trying to gauge the feeling on here - I read a lot about Lawrence and recently some about Ince.

It seemed to me the feeling around the two types of winger was quite a talking point on here.

Guess I misjudged that then ?

16 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

Thanks - I do know that you need a balance and players around them and was not suggesting a formation of 0-0-2-0

But I was trying to gauge the feeling on here - I read a lot about Lawrence and recently some about Ince.

It seemed to me the feeling around the two types of winger was quite a talking point on here.

Guess I misjudged that then ?

I meant more the same team, if you had Lawrence and Ince in the team it would be very difficult at this level. We always did better with a more workhorse type winger on one side.

I think one thing with wingers is that they need the conditions to play just as an striker or midfielder does. 

Ince was crap under Rowett, Pearson and on the wing under Clement. He was immense under McClaren and Clement as a #10 and was decent under Wassall. He’s crap now. He was good when he had freedom. 

Russell was good on the right but not the left. Not sure the criticisms of his end product was fair. He’d got well over 50 goals and assists in his first three seasons (from the right). His runs inside would stretch the opposition and trigger the rotation. 

Archived