George Tanner

Ambitious

A young United player, most likely for the U23 side initially: 

United loanee George Tanner, 20, could also cut short his loan arrangement with League Two Morecambe this month. Morecambe are also second from bottom but several clubs have expressed interest in signing full-back Tanner.

Salford City, League One Portsmouth, Championship outfits Blackburn Rovers and Derby County, and Major League Soccer side New York Red Bulls are all believed to have enquired about Tanner. United could let Tanner leave permanently this month, rather than on a free at the end of the season.

It's from the Manchester Evening News, so should carry a little bit of weight. https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-utd-loan-news-hamilton-17509834

No idea if he's any good, but I can tell you he's a right back. 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m not so sure he would be for the U23s to be fair. If we lose Bogle we’ll need a new RB, even if it’s only cover. I quite like the idea of this move in principle myself. Not that I know a lot about him specifically, but having a recruitment strategy of picking up young players who don’t quite make it at the very top clubs is a strong one imo. Often these are players you can get quite cheap, and will begin to live up to their former potential when given a proper chance elsewhere. Tanner could well be one of these, may not have made it at the top end of the prem, but he could become a top championship player here. 

Id be happy with this one if we were to lose Bogle, perhaps a better idea to have Wisdom replace him in the first team, have this lad come in as cover and spend the cash elsewhere, than it is to blow all the cash on a direct replacement for Jayden. Though, as usual with links like these where loads of clubs are apparently in for a player, I’d exercise caution of the level of our interest.

15 hours ago, GenBr said:

Does he play as left back or right back primarily? Wiki says left, but transfrmrkt says right. We  only need a right back if we are selling Bogle and we don't need a left back at all.

LB at least with Morecambe.

3 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

LB at least with Morecambe.

A bit of digging suggest that he’s a RB that’s been played at LB. Morecambe fans rate him, but annoyed that he keeps being put at LB. He seems to have a bit about him in their opinion. 

On 03/01/2020 at 20:06, reverendo de duivel said:

No nonsense defender, tends to leather the ball forward at every opportunity, but is rarely skinned.

Isn't this just a load of lederhosen. No need to get saddled with a load of extra players. Belt and braces approach can work out if the lad buckles down.

Archived